Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Base prices for tattoo...

• 23-04-2008 5:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi - quick question really. Just wondering if you could let me know the base [minimum] prices for a tattoo. I've spoken to a few places the past few days and the best price we could get for a very very tiny tattoo was €80. But i'm sure there must be places in Dublin cheaper than that?

I know you shouldn't go to the cheapest place and that you get what you pay for yada, yada, yada...but just humour me ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

Inkwell has a minimum charge of €60 if I'm not mistaken and it wouldn't be a case of sacrificing quality for price with them. Their on Arann Quay next to the Voodoo Lounge.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The size of your tattoo does not matter really, it's time spent and materials used that count more. Even if you're getting a tiny tattoo, you'll generally have to pay the charge for an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Lilee

Truthinwords - Ta! That's perfect - i'll give them a call tonight and have a chat with them :)

DamoElDiablo - Yeah I know - that's what i'm looking for - the base hourly rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

The size of your tattoo does not matter really, it's time spent and materials used that count more. Even if you're getting a tiny tattoo, you'll generally have to pay the charge for an hour.

I don't think there's a place in town that doesn't have a minimum charge. For example Wildcats hourly rate = €100 minimum rate=€80. You shouldn't have to pay an hours fee for a five minute tattoo.

xtruthx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Lilee

Exactly. It's a tiny little star i'm wanting to get done on my wrist. 10mins work max, no doubt. And I resent paying out €100 for it! I am aware that yes - the minimum charge WILL apply, no matter what. But I just think it's a bit silly for such a small tattoo. Almost makes me want to get the text I was considering to go with it done, just to fill my hour! Haha.

• Advertisement

Go for it! Beats paying minimum charge twice!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Went to a place in crow st, temple bar yesterday and they charged me €50

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

Last Sat we went up to Zulu and the receptionist said the minimum charge is €65.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

Lilee wrote: »
    Exactly. It's a tiny little star i'm wanting to get done on my wrist. 10mins work max, no doubt. And I resent paying out €100 for it! I am aware that yes - the minimum charge WILL apply, no matter what. But I just think it's a bit silly for such a small tattoo. Almost makes me want to get the text I was considering to go with it done, just to fill my hour! Haha.

lets imagine you are 25, female. good chance you'll live another 55 years. lets say your minimum charge was one of the higher ones at 80. 80 euro divided across 55 years is 1.45 euro a year. 1.45 divided across 365 days is a whopping .0039 euros a day.

How much did you spend the last time you went to the hair dressers, or bought shoes?

the minimum charge is there for two reasons. 1 to cover the time spent setting up, breaking down, scrubbing bagging and claving grips AND tattooing you. 2 because it's time the tattoo artist could be tattooing some one else. you would have a very hard time getting your little outline of a star done anywhere if the price was proportional to larger tattoos, because any tattoo artist in their right mind would turn it down in favour of bigger work.

I ALWAYS say to people if they want tiny work - wait til you are getting something else done. Most of the time they don't. *I* resent the implication that tattoo artists are running a scam with the minimum charge.

Well put Hot2Def :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Redpunto wrote: »
    Went to a place in crow st, temple bar yesterday and they charged me €50

Clasic ink?
    Are they any good?

Talked to them before, they seem like a nice bunch of people, but didnt get a chance to see any of their work, forgot to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

im thinking about getting at tattoo for the first time and was wondering if anyone had any advice on the best place to go in dublin im not worried about price i just want to make sure the place is clean and the work is good
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

check out the piercers in ireland thread.

im thinking about getting at tattoo for the first time and was wondering if anyone had any advice on the best place to go in dublin im not worried about price i just want to make sure the place is clean and the work is good
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Depends on what you want done, what style etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭miss enzo

it depend ive had 2 tats done in same studio in limerick one took abour 10mins, 70 euro

other took 40 mins 90 euro

got 2 done in the one place in the US, first was $35 other was $30 and he told me he's do the same (star) on my other ankle for the same price!!

its crazy how much we get ripped off in ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Redpunto

CianRyan wrote: »
    Clasic ink?
    Are they any good?

Talked to them before, they seem like a nice bunch of people, but didnt get a chance to see any of their work, forgot to look.

The fellas were nice and very friendly,,was only getting done two letters so it wud have been an easy one to do so not sure what they be like for more detailed work. I only walked in though and got who was free but like I said v.v.v.v. nice people.

miss enzo wrote: »
    it depend ive had 2 tats done in same studio in limerick one took abour 10mins, 70 euro

other took 40 mins 90 euro

got 2 done in the one place in the US, first was $35 other was $30 and he told me he's do the same (star) on my other ankle for the same price!!

its crazy how much we get ripped off in ireland!

yeah, its mad, its almost as if the cost of living was a lot lower in the States, and that wages were lower across the board....

Tattoo artists in Ireland have to take their wages and live in the same hugely expensive Ireland that you do, remember......?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

CianRyan wrote: »
    Clasic ink?
    Are they any good?

A friend of mine got a star done there and the guy who did it got the angles/proportions wrong.

She was happy enough with it because she felt the mistakes gave it a bit of personality, but personally I think it was unacceptable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

hot2def wrote: »
    yeah, its mad, its almost as if the cost of living was a lot lower in the States, and that wages were lower across the board....

Tattoo artists in Ireland have to take their wages and live in the same hugely expensive Ireland that you do, remember......?

Agreed!!! People often miss this point.

The thing about a tat is you're gonna have it forever, you want it to be exactly what you want, the exact size you want, exactly where you want it. If that means paying 80 quid for 10 mins of actual tattooing time for a tat you love forever, then I think that's a pretty good deal! I paid 80 for one that took around 15 mins, and 150 for one that took almost 2 hours, but I love them both. the lil one was exactly what I wanted at the time, I wasn't gonna get it bigger just to get better 'value for money' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭why so serious?

hot2def wrote: »

Wish I earned that kind of money, tatoo prices here are ridiculous full stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭heyjay14

If the star is as small as you say there is a guy named rob in bray who owns a shop. Iv seen some of hs stuff and its preety good. His shop is called poisen ink and he will charge you about 15-20 quid.

Jason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

The tattoo artist isn't walking away with full cost of your tattoo:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Ah but I bet you don't pay renty for where you work, or have to buy all your own equipment for work

flawless rebuttal. nicely done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 marco105

just wondering roughly how much would something along the lines of this design on the left hand side of my chest cost, i am looking to get something along the lines of this image. roughly the size of a fist on my chest. any ideas on a price range or how long it would take to do??

phoenix1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

There's no way you're fitting all the detail of a phoenix into a part of your chest "the size of a fist,"

Go big or go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Yes, we are being ripped off here but I don't think tattoo artists are the ones ripping us off.
    Apart from the cost of living being much higher that the U.S. there's also huge numbers (per capita) of tattoo artists there vying for business to cater for a market where aprox. 40% of Generation Xers have tattoos and tattoing is the sixth fastest growing industry in the U.S. More competition there means more competitive prices at the lower end of the market anyway and while tattoing has risen in popularity here it's still not as popular as in the States.
    You may have got lucky if you've got decent tattooes for 30 and 35 dollars but from my research into getting a tattoo in the U.S. top artists are charging way more than that-more like $100-$200 an hour.
    I know it's often said but I think it's an area where you really do get what you pay for and I wouldn't begrudge paying a good artist in Dublin €80-€100 because that's a living wage here for them, and I know the cost of living and overheads are so high here and even if it only took 10minutes to do as hot2def said they have clean and set up their space first and that has to be factored into the cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sweetcdimplebum

Its such a pity you are so far away, my boyfriends brother does tatoos here in Offaly and he doesn't charge by the hour, it depends on the size and detail that you want!!!:D

Advertisement