Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bots

• 16-01-2013 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if Blizzard are going to address the problem with bot's in Bg's.

Its getting so i cant play BG's anymore. I tend to play late at night because of the hours my job has. Is it that bad during the day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Not as bad during the day but once you get between the 10-11PM mark they really start.

I dunno if they will solve it properly, to much money being made by those accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Main reason why i canceled my sub :(

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

No no no no no.. Never!

I wish people would stop asking that!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Frolick

I think they ban them in waves. They aren't as bad now, but like when MoP came out, BGs were basically unplayable

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnf26

aye they do there bans like every 3months or so but they only ban the people who are actually reported people see bots all the time but only report every second one you just gotta keep reporting and eventually itl ease off,people are getting accounts to cheap is why the bots keep coming back they buy SOR acount for like 10e blizz are copping on to that 2 and are getting there with sorting it out but bg will never be bot free

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I don't do bgs myself, how do bots make them unplayable? and what's in it for people having bots in bgs? I'm interested now :)

bots farm conquest and honor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I don't do bgs myself, how do bots make them unplayable? and what's in it for people having bots in bgs? I'm interested now :)

Basically they run around in 1 large group, its very hard to win a BG if most your team are bots. It takes all the fun out of PvP:(.

Basically they run around in 1 large group, its very hard to win a BG if most your team are bots. It takes all the fun out of PvP:(.

I see - do they use want the conquest and honour points to buy gear to then sell on? Presumable they're in it to make gold. I don't really do dungeons/raids/bgs but I thought that gear was soulbound so they would only be able to vendor it.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I see - do they use want the conquest and honour points to buy gear to then sell on? Presumable they're in it to make gold. I don't really do dungeons/raids/bgs but I thought that gear was soulbound so they would only be able to vendor it.

nope, these types of bots are just lazy players. there is usually no end result other than being able to get more honor/conquest to get gear to later play the character properly.

As for if blizzard does anything. large scale waves come over time, plenty of other types happen on daily basis as well.

• Advertisement

What i find worse at times are not bots but really really poor people who spend most times farming honor, its so bad sometimes i think people pretend to be bots with the shame :P.

I see - you learn something new every day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

Yeh... Sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

You can report a player ingame, or open a ticket if your suffering from bots in BG's, they act on them pretty fast.

They don't really and they just get replaced by more bots, I prefer to play some pvp when i enter a BG, not spend most of the time looking at the map right clicking on peoples names to report them in hopes they dont actually fluke out and enter combat, as lets face it, thats all they have to do and thats what all bots programs do, run from base to base..

And I've seen no evidence of Blizz banning any accounts in the last few years..

Its funny seeing the really poor programmed bots, the one that run between all bases not fighting even though they could use a mount.

Not all bot programs run base to base there is some that say for instance goes towards were the biggest fights are and fight etc over the past 2 years there actually changing a bit not to much that you would notice them but they are changing.

nix wrote: »
    And I've seen no evidence of Blizz banning any accounts in the last few years..

I could name a few sites that would say differently but I won't since it would most likely be against the forum rules.

[QUOTE=nix;82808479

And I've seen no evidence of Blizz banning any accounts in the last few years..[/QUOTE]

Untrue ive seen plenty of evidence myself to no blizz definitely bans for botting

I'm sure providing links to wow news sites confirming such bans is happening cant be against the rules. Something like mmo or wowhead?

Unless your gonna be linking gold selling/bot sites??

Ive been watching mmo and wowhead like a hawk the last year and have seen no evidence of bans, and thats where i used to see them..

• Advertisement

I'm sure providing links to wow news sites confirming such bans is happening cant be against the rules. Something like mmo or wowhead?

Unless your gonna be linking gold selling/bot sites??

Ive been watching mmo and wowhead like a hawk the last year and have seen no evidence of bans, and thats where i used to see them..

Much like here the talk of botting is not allowed on normal wow sites and is shut down very quickly.

There are plenty of middle of the road websites that deal in the "edge" of wow gaming tips that are flooded whenever there are ban waves. And then there are the ones that are just there for talking about how to cheat outright.

If you have never heard of the archaeology incident then you are not totally informed to say that blizzard do nothing.

I never heard of an archeolgy incident, sounds interesting but i can guess what they were doing.

So blizz don't allow websites to confirm that they have been actively banning cheaters of their game??

What?!?!

So blizz don't allow websites to confirm that they have been actively banning cheaters of their game??

What?!?!

How do you jump to the conclusion that it's Blizzard that is stopping the sites?

Why do you think that threads about botting are so strictly moderated here?

/can't tell if trolling or not, nonetheless

The internet is a big wide thing with many search engines to help you locate information about lots of different topics. Check things out before stating there is no evidence of something happening. One day it might save your life.

jabberwock wrote: »
    How do you jump to the conclusion that it's Blizzard that is stopping the sites?

Why do you think that threads about botting are so strictly moderated here?

/can't tell if trolling or not, nonetheless

The internet is a big wide thing with many search engines to help you locate information about lots of different topics. Check things out before stating there is no evidence of something happening. One day it might save your life.

Who else would care or have the power to stop websites from publishing information regarding a game other than the people who own and run it? Blizzard

And why would blizzard not want people to know they are moderating their game???

It defies logic and hence me being puzzled, and Mr smartypants, i have searched the usual websites worth searching on, anything else and im delving into the realm of unknown and may download **** like key loggers..

My question is, why are they so hush hush about proving to the many unbelievers/subscribers that they are indeed looking after their game?

If its so easy to find said confirmations on legitimate credible sources then by all means link it, if its breaching boards rules, pm it..

Edit: oh and im not trolling, I'm just curious as to where you're finding this credible information.

This sums up why there is no information given out by Blizzard directly.

As for logic, why broadcast that you have figured out to detect a bot in the game, only thing that does it let the makers of the bot know they need to change it.

Also goes to why they do bans in waves. Here and there would alert bot makers faster.

The reason that sites do not allow a lot of talk about bots is because just like this thread someone will say something that will like to somewhere that will have a keylogger that will cause even more trouble.

As for keyloggers, there are plenty of sites that deal in exploits that are very easy to find and do not have malicious intentions for your pc. It would be pointless to infect your own readership that is getting you the traffic. Of course there are the ones that do have them. :)

So blizzard made a conscious decision to stop informing the masses of the thousands of accounts they ban to make the game fun and fair. In the hopes that it won't help the botters avoid detection even though feedback would do the same thing if they get banned.

And yet the botters are just a constant presence in BG's..

I've never seen such a strong bot presence in the last year in my entire wow life collectively, and it just so happens to coincide with Blizzard no longer boasting of accounts being banned.

Seems all a little too convenient.

They never boosted. I don't think you read the post or understood the point really.

boosted?! I never even said the word

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

Glider was shut down by a massive, long-term court-case that nobody outside of being a Glider user or a Blizzard employee - would have heard anything about. That one case effectively removed several million bot accounts.

I assure you, that while botting in WoW is on the decline, their measures of banning botters has also suffered as a result. No longer is it possible to make 1 or 2 tweaks to warden, wait a week, and then announce a banwave of 150-300k accounts, by virtue of the fact that there is no longer one single engine that the majority of botters are using. Simples.

Advertisement