Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bus routes with too many stops

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'm not against removing a limited number of stops, i.e. the 10% most ridiculous, but the biggest single improvement would be abolishment of cash fares. You just have to do it and it's done. The Leap card system has been a massive failure. It should be drop into a newsagent, buy a starter card and go from there with top up machines gradually rolled out to bus stops on top of all ticket agents. €2.50 per journey whether it be one stop or 50. Tourists will buy into this. Do you think I'm ****ing around with cash in London?

I'm still dumbfounded that they have'nt cottoned on to the SIMPLE expedient of installing a Reader on RTPI poles,programmed to act as a LOAD-POINT for online top-ups...It's as if the NTA wishes that all of this computer stuff would just GO AWAY...:D

Instead of focusing on the vast gaps in Leapcard's functionality,it now goes careering off on a half-cocked danse macabre with Bus Eireann in Cork...Get the basic package right and then move it on...!!!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

There is a stop on Galway's Parkmore Rd that I'd delete - but I've almost never seen anyone use it.

I think I know the one you are talking about but apparently hundreds if not thousands of people use it.
    Iwannahurl wrote: »
    There's another one I noticed recently in Ballybrit, Galway, where numerous large firms are concentrated and hundreds if not thousands are employed. Bus users are expected to stand on grass in all weathers, with no shelter or pedestrian access provided. In this StreetView image, the bus stop sign is being commandeered for commercial advertising.

Or what way was that poster trying to 'bend facts' that day?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,667 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Patrickheg wrote: »
    I think I know the one you are talking about but apparently hundreds if not thousands of people use it.

The one at the top of the Avenue entrance to the racecourse - and which is always closed during the races anyway due to the traffic issues at the intersection? No way do hundreds use it - there's not even a footpath to stand on, the pole is just there in the grass. I suspect it's a leftover from the days before Parkmore Industrial and the No 9 bus,

The other two, beside Briarhill Business Park and Galway Technology Park, are both essential, and I'd agree there would be thousands over the course of a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Patrickheg

The one at the top of the Avenue entrance to the racecourse - and which is always closed during the races anyway due to the traffic issues at the intersection? No way do hundreds use it - there's not even a footpath to stand on, the pole is just there in the grass. I suspect it's a leftover from the days before Parkmore Industrial and the No 9 bus,

The other two, beside Briarhill Business Park and Galway Technology Park, are both essential, and I'd agree there would be thousands over the course of a year.

I agree with you that stop is very rarely used, just found it funny that poster I quoted indicates otherwise to suit an argument he was having at the time.

That bus route is not that old, maybe 6or7 years old(buses never went down park more road before this) and that stop was there from day 1 so guessing it's to serve the cottages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'm not against removing a limited number of stops, i.e. the 10% most ridiculous, but the biggest single improvement would be aboli(tion) of cash fares. You just have to do it and it's done. The Leap card system has been a massive failure. It should be drop into a newsagent, buy a starter card and go from there with top up machines gradually rolled out to bus stops on top of all ticket agents. €2.50 per journey whether it be one stop or 50. Tourists will buy into this. Do you think I'm ****ing around with cash in London?
    No cash, no wealth. There is no way I'm trusting my money to an entity that can delete it with one hack or one glitch, never mind the whims of a central government that decided a couple of years ago that it can confiscate bank accounts at will. And maintaining newsagents as ticket agents is a large expense to the public. Any no-cash-fare bus system means I choose to drive, thanks.

As for London, that's by design and may prove to be quite the folly.

Tourists' biggest problem with mass transport of an unknown city is unfamiliarity with routes, not perceived ease/difficulty of paying fare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

MGWR wrote: »
    No cash, no wealth. There is no way I'm trusting my money to an entity that can delete it with one hack or one glitch, never mind the whims of a central government that decided a couple of years ago that it can confiscate bank accounts at will. And maintaining newsagents as ticket agents is a large expense to the public. Any no-cash-fare bus system means I choose to drive, thanks.

Tourists' biggest problem with mass transport of an unknown city is unfamiliarity with routes, not perceived ease/difficulty of paying fare.

So you don't keep money in the bank ? Must be a big mattress you have it all safely stored under.

Just to state the obvious but you don't need to put your life savings on a leap card, and if it is lost or stolen, if you registered it you can get your money back, hard to do that with cash. Seems bizzare that you would think it safer to carry cash with you and pay 20% more for the privilege than risk the off chance that some cyber terrorists might steal your €20..........weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

MGWR wrote: »

I would venture then MGWR,that you are putting yourself outside the Public Transport Pale.

You may well be in that group for whom Public Transport cannot ever succeed.

Only the ineptitude of the NTA's Integrated Ticketing Implimentation Group has,thus far,allowed your desire to preserve the Ancien Régime to be granted.

If (and its a BIG If) the NTA can apply some forward thinking professionalism to a renewed Leapcard push,then your vision of Public Transport will be sepia-toned.

However,going on their track-record (:rolleyes:) to date,you may well be allowed to enforce your particular desire on everybody else for a lot longer... :o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement