Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭ninkynonk

Wow.. you waited 3 months after registering to post that. Well done.. you must really hate that guy!

I'm more of a reader than a writer. this guy drove me mad though, i had to contribute. i have so many stories but i'd say he uses Boards.ie that he'd know it was me writing them as i still work with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Once recently one of my friends went searching for Bus Refunds from old tickets left on the bus. :pac:

Oh that reminds me. We had a German intern in work a few months back and one of the other girls from the office was nice enough to drop her to the airport when she was heading back home. Upon arriving at the airport she reaches into her pocket and pulls out a roll of bus tickets with apparently €8 worth of refunds on them and asked for €8 cash in exchange for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

jonnyirish wrote: »
    he drove the most run down pieces of sh!t even though he was minted

people keep telling me that all these people have loads of money. maybe he was minted because he drove run down pieces of sh!t. this stinginess is something i think i might look into. get everyone else to pay for you. genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭twentysomething

I work with a woman who is in a high senior position, i.e earns alot more money than most of us. She is the stingiest person i have ever come accross, yesterday she went through the bin, looking for letters that had unmarked stamps on them, so that she could bring them home, soak them in water for a few hours to separate them from the envelope they were attached to and reuse them! For the sake of a 55c stamp...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

iguana wrote: »
    Seeing as how in some English pubs €2.20 would get you two pints or a G&T and crisps it's more like the Irish pubs who are being stingy. And the French guy just wasn't willing to accept the extortionate prices in Irish pubs.

JD Wetherspoon to cut price of a pint to 99p

That's all well and good but this isn't England.

The bloke is French and in France a pint is about 8 euro (possibly just in the rip off tourist places I've been to).

In Ireland, 2.20 doesn't get you a pint. End of. Slamming yer pittance down and demanding it because it can be had for that in other places in the world is no justification. When in Rome....

For example, a tube of Colgate toothpaste costs about 25 cent in Thailand. March up to the checkout here (or England for that matter) slam down your toothpaste and 25cent and see what you get...

hint- nothin if you're lucky, squirt of toothpaste in the eye if you're not. and rightfully so.

• Advertisement

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    people keep telling me that all these people have loads of money. maybe he was minted because he drove run down pieces of sh!t. this stinginess is something i think i might look into. get everyone else to pay for you. genius!

he was minted- he was on around 80k a year and had **** all of a mortgage. he got the house 10 years ago and he was from The back arse of no where in a nice but cheap house.

He'd flip out if he thought someone had got one up on him.
    on any night out he forgets to bring his wallet and would joke to eveyone "looks like your gonna have to support me tonight" it got to the point where no one would ask "does any one want anything in the shop" as we where afraid he'd say yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Dave insured his car with NoNonsense.ie.

Dave wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

it's always the fecking rich people who are stingy, is that why they're rich?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Oh that reminds me. We had a German intern in work a few months back and one of the other girls from the office was nice enough to drop her to the airport when she was heading back home. Upon arriving at the airport she reaches into her pocket and pulls out a roll of bus tickets with apparently €8 worth of refunds on them and asked for €8 cash in exchange for them.
    It is said you can't stand next to a group of Germans more that 5 minutes before one of them breaks out: "Es ist zu teuer" (It's too expensive). They're all really money-minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

You'd want to hear the argy bargys in my house when trying to split a curry. Do you know how hard it is to argue when your mouth is watering?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

biko wrote: »
    It is said you can't stand next to a group of Germans more that 5 minutes before one of them breaks out: "Es ist zu teuer" (It's too expensive). They're all really money-minded.

Probably why they tried to wipe out the Jews... The Germans looked stingy even next to them.

on any night out he forgets to bring his wallet and would joke to eveyone "looks like your gonna have to support me tonight" it got to the point where no one would ask "does any one want anything in the shop" as we where afraid he'd say yeah.

how about the next time you're all out and he doesn't forget his wallet (if that ever happens) you all say that you've forgot your wallets and he'll have to support you just like all those times you supported him. it'd be an expensive night for him but if everyone there has bought him pints in the past he owes them all that much anyway.

and if he does forget his wallet every time, you should all just stop including him in rounds. there's politeness and then there's being taken advantage of.

and i bet that if you don't include him he'll suddenly find his wallet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

There is a shocking amount of bull**** in the air...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

I know someone who knows someone from Holland who bought a dishwasher and after a few weeks decided to stop using it because it uses so much power

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

My buddy from Mayo (aged 30) refuses to wash his clothes so he takes them home to his mother fonce a month. He stinks and it is a running joke where he works.

Actually the smell of BO can be overwhelming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭cooperla

stovelid wrote: »
    I know of a guy (friend of a friend) that constantly keeps his eyes trained on the ground when out walking in case he spots dropped money.

I'm often looking at the ground - but probably more down to the fact that I've stepped on nail a few times in the past:)

That being said I was doing a u-turn in dublin city centre just before Christmas and somehow spotted at €50 note in the middle of the road. happy days!

I had one relative who use to play cards (solitare and the like) everyday but would never buy a new pack of cards - you couldn't even tell what the card was anymore, except for the fact that he'd mark the value on the cards with a pen. Same guy would make his wife use his tea bag after he was finished with it instead of letting her use a new one.

Actually this is more sad than anything else...

I know of a local elderly lady who died a few years back in absolute squalor...no heating, hot water, no carpets and one lightbulb was used in the house. She was a spinster and no kids. She basically lived on cups of kettled hot water and soda bread. She used newspaper and elastic bands for wounds.

She died but wasnt discovered for a nearly two weeks. Autopsy revealed she died of malnutrition and hypothermia..also there was evidence of "rodent infestation" on her body.

She died in terrible conditions..you wldnt put a dog there...the best bit....she had £1.1 million old Irish punds in her bank accounts in the Isle of man...very sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

Biggins wrote: »
    She had her own income. believe it or not, she was a cleaner (on top of unemployment benefit)! The husband was also sending home money when he was in the army.

She was also stingy with her own time with her kids.
    She never took them anywhere (the first time my wife travelled anywhere was with me to Dublin! Then the first time she was out of the country was when I took her up to Newry. She was in the car with my mother and myself and she admitted "This is the first time I've been out of the republic"), the mother never taught them how to cook, they had to learn themselves. Never taught them any skills, they had to learn EVERYTHING from their aunts and that included all about the female growing up problems.
    The mother was stingy to the core about everything she did and time spent!

I hate the ground she walks on. One miserable stingy bitch.

Dude, I hate to make this anything other than a stingy thread but those are signs of depression. Without telling you your job as a family member it might be an idea to inform her GP. Then just follow it up to make sure he/she wasn't fobbed off or got lazy.

Actually this is more sad than anything else...

I know of a local elderly lady who died a few years back in absolute squalor...no heating, hot water, no carpets and one lightbulb was used in the house. She was a spinster and no kids. She basically lived on cups of kettled hot water and soda bread. She used newspaper and elastic bands for wounds.

She died but wasnt discovered for a nearly two weeks. Autopsy revealed she died of malnutrition and hypothermia..also there was evidence of "rodent infestation" on her body.

She died in terrible conditions..you wldnt put a dog there...the best bit....she had £1.1 million old Irish punds in her bank accounts in the Isle of man...very sad.
    death by stinginess. that's a new low

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

cooperla wrote: »
    Same guy would make his wife use his tea bag after he was finished with it instead of letting her use a new one.

Ah the good ol days....

• Advertisement

Ah the good ol days....

Ive done that once or twice but out of sheer laziness more than anyting else..:p

Zangetsu wrote: »
    There is a shocking amount of bull**** in the air...

i know if someone told me the stories i've told i'd find it hard to believe them too. but i swear on my mother what i've told is 100% real.
    i actually have alot more to tell about him but i know it would seem unbelievable then.

one time we had an italian girl staying with us as a student. when it came to paying the rent she came down with €4 less than the agreed rate. my mother asked why and the italian said some one had taken a yougurt from the fridge which she owned and my brother had used her jam. My mother let it go, 2 weeks later her boyfriend came over to stay for a week and my mother was going to let him stay for free, but she dicided to charge him a resonable rate and gave the money to charity. oh and to top it off my mother had offered to drop her to the airport and on the same day she had to settle the bill- she pulled the same stunt again about the jam and left my mother a few euro short- well my mam flipped and told her to get a taxi to the airport which would cost 40quid from where we live. She was crying and saying sorry and tried to give the money to my mam. she sat in my garden waiting for the taxi whailing crying. she was a stinge bag! pity because she was a Foxy looking bird

i know if someone told me the stories i've told i'd find it hard to believe them too. but i swear on my mother what i've told is 100% real.
    i actually have alot more to tell about him but i know it would seem unbelievable then.

one time we had an italian girl staying with us as a student. when it came to paying the rent she came down with €4 less than the agreed rate. my mother asked why and the italian said some one had taken a yougurt from the fridge which she owned and my brother had used her jam. My mother let it go, 2 weeks later her boyfriend came over to stay for a week and my mother was going to let him stay for free, but she dicided to charge him a resonable rate and gave the money to charity. oh and to top it off my mother had offered to drop her to the airport and on the same day she had to settle the bill- she pulled the same stunt again about the jam and left my mother a few euro short- well my mam flipped and told her to get a taxi to the airport which would cost 40quid from where we live. She was crying and saying sorry and tried to give the money to my mam. she sat in my garden waiting for the taxi whailing crying. she was a stinge bag! pity because she was a Foxy looking bird

Thats hilarious:D:D I can just picture her sitting there crying..you should comforted her..;)

Thats hilarious:D:D I can just picture her sitting there crying..you should comforted her..;)

I was a few years younger than her i think she was 23 i was 19. My mother flipped out when the girl handed her the money, i was mortified. My mother is known to have a temper and just threw her bag out the door and called her mean. at the time she was full board breakfast, lunch and dinner and had her clothes washed for €120 a week. so she had some cheek! me and my bro's where rolling around laughing at her crying sitting waiting for the taxi which felt it took ages to arrive. my mother couldnt wait for her to get out of the garden as any one who passed by was looking in at the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

cooperla wrote: »
    Same guy would make his wife use his tea bag after he was finished with it instead of letting her use a new one.

I thought that was everyone in the 80s, and with this looming recession, it will be all of us soon! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I was a few years younger than her i think she was 23 i was 19. My mother flipped out when the girl handed her the money, i was mortified. My mother is known to have a temper and just threw her bag out the door and called her mean. at the time she was full board breakfast, lunch and dinner and had her clothes washed for €120 a week. so she had some cheek! me and my bro's where rolling around laughing at her crying sitting waiting for the taxi which felt it took ages to arrive. my mother couldnt wait for her to get out of the garden as any one who passed by was looking in at the house.

Ha Ha that'll learn the beyotch. Coincidentally I used to hang around witha fella called Johnny Irish, seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Really bad story but I once saw a women pick the sh1te out of a nappy and put it back on the baby again

maybe she was gonna wash the nappy (cloth?) and re-use. like the ones you were probably born into. this practice is environmentally friendly and doing us all a favour.

thats not stingy just hard work and praiseworthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Originally Posted by stovelid
    I know of a guy (friend of a friend) that constantly keeps his eyes trained on the ground when out walking in case he spots dropped money.
    I am forever finding money on the streets .

I must stop looking downwards .......people might talk . :cool:

( I seriously found two £20 notes a few months back , just lying on the street waiting to be picked up )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Robbie23

I was recently in a round and it was my mates turn to by the drinks.
    There were six of us each drinking various different beers, & he came back to the table with 5 bud because there was a 5 for 12quid offer on.

I wouldn't mind but the miserable prick knows I detest bud and wouldn't even drink it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭zzap64

At last the thread is over! Glad I managed to read it all before getting fired!!

Some classic stuff in there.

Some call it stingy, I'd just call it environmentally aware! :-D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement