Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭scwazrh

a few pics of my newest addition, excuse the phone quality pics ..

It is a Hamilton Khaki aviation pilot auto . There is also a quartz version but its a lot smaller.This one is 46mm width with a 22mm strap .It has the eta 2836 movement and should have a 48hr power reserve but so far the most I have noticed is about a day and half.
    I was looking for a pilot watch for a while and am impressed with this one.Its a nice change from my other watches that are all S/S bracelets .It really is a solid heavy watch and looks much nicer on the wrist than in pics.

20245360371_03c823b445_z.jpg
    20213263516_2d528913ff_z.jpg
    20051495820_fe0258a519_z.jpg
    20051510708_c7ef32ab6f_z.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I was looking online for a seiko 5 with glass caseback, and after a few more bids this arrived in the postbox..... 1971 automatic Longines, don't think the glass caseback is original though. So far I'm still under the €200 mark for watches. Strap is a bit short, so Mrs blue has borrowed it off me to give it some wrist time:(

357528.JPG

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

My Seiko SSC031 Solar Dive Watch.......a recent acquisition

358010.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Ball Master Diver II...

358186.JPG

358188.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Ball Hydrocarbon Spacemaster..

358192.jpg

The gas tubes
    358194.JPG

and the caseback..

358197.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Great lume shots!

Despite my wife saying it's one of the ugliest watches she's seen (pfft, she hasn't seen what she's buying for my birthday:) ).......I pulled the trigger on this bad boy last night.......

ska425p1-c.jpg

Two bezels (count them!) - A "Bi-Directional rotating Tachymeter, Fuel Level, Fuel weight and a uni-directional ratchet Bezel with indents at 1 minute positions."

I do like a watch with a 'busy' face - which is perhaps not to everyone's taste :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Darwin

@Jawgap, my kind of watch, very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Darwin

Treated myself to a Tissot Expert Solar with black PVD titanium finish, it's quite a big watch but nice and light to wear:

20150811_153300.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭blindsider

Couldn't resist this:

[IMG][/img]IkGzQbE.jpg?1

It's 44 x 13 and poss. ever so slightly big on my wrist.

It's comfortable, easy to read, and I'm happy with it in the flesh.

I'm sure it's not everyone's cup of tea, and Fossil are a bit 'fashionable' but Wibbs sang their praises a while ago, so that can't be bad.

(Thinly veiled "It's all Wibbs fault!" post :-))

I'll try to post a pic when I can be bothered to remember how....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Now ...all of you, sit down, breathe deeply and remove all sharp and pointy objects from reach ...

Ready?

I bought a ....quartz watch :eek::eek::eek:

But not just any old quartz watch, no sir.

In a parallel universe (German watch forum) people are getting infected by the 262 kHz fever and it has spread as far as me now.

262 kHz ...that's the frequency of Bulova's latest quartz movement, 8 times higher than a regular quartz watch, which means that it should be accurate to within 10 seconds a year aaaaaaand ...it has a sweeping second hand :pac:

Bulova more or less quietly launched that movement a few years ago with the Precisionist range and at this year's Baselworld extended it to somewhat more retro models of the Accutron II range.
    Some beautiful watches in that range http://www.bulova.com/en-GB/collection/accutron/5220c541142993b037000003/ but at around € 400 by the time you get them to Europe way outside peasant territory.

They also have the more affordable Military range, very nice watches there http://www.bulova.com/en-GB/collection/military/details/96B229/ ..but I just don't like coin edges and a watch that "old" looking needs a mechanical movement really.

So I bought an old, discontinued Precisonist instead, comfortably under the pain threshold financially and brilliant value for the technology and fit& finish you're getting.

My camera is borked, so I'll post two videos instead :D

At 46mm the watch is huge and with all the screws and fussy detail waay more blingy than what I'd normally go for ...but hey, I bought it for the movement and if peasant goes modern he might as well go all way and get what all the kids wear these days :D

300 m water resistant, curved mineral glass, comfy strap that doesn't attract dust, decent lume and fit and finish that sort of explains the price tag in the one vid. It so happens it fits like a glove...big, yes ...but not too big for my wrist...just.

Minor niggles:

The lume dot on the bezel is too small and very weakly lumed, the hands are a tad too short for a precision watch to read it properly and the minute hand has about 10 sec worth of play either side when you try and set it ...needless to say I had a few attempts to get my precision watch set to bang on time and index with time.is ...but three days later it still sits there :D

I'm happy

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Jawgap wrote: »
    Despite my wife saying it's one of the ugliest watches she's seen (pfft, she hasn't seen what she's buying for my birthday:) ).......I pulled the trigger on this bad boy last night.......

Nice watch

I have considered a Kinetic a few times but always back off when I read posts about guys struggling to keep them charged if it's in a rotation. These can be wrist hoggers sometimes requiring 4 or 5 days wear to keep them running. Seiko's own charger is over $200 but you can pick up a Braun electric toothbrush charger, apparently they work quite well if you sit the watch on it correctly.

Let us know how you get on with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

HDMI wrote: »
    Nice watch

I have considered a Kinetic a few times but always back off when I read posts about guys struggling to keep them charged if it's in a rotation. These can be wrist hoggers sometimes requiring 4 or 5 days wear to keep them running. Seiko's own charger is over $200 but you can pick up a Braun electric toothbrush charger, apparently they work quite well if you sit the watch on it correctly.

Let us know how you get on with it.

That's the thing about them, the Kinetics are a commitment. You can run down an automatic and leave it aside for as long as you like, pick it up, give it a few shakes and she's ready to go.
    The Kinetic is not so forgiving, if you leave it run down too low and uncharged for longer periods of time, the capacitors will sh*t themselves.
    Found a Youtube video for the toothbrush charger:

You can see the watch does the 2 second skip when he puts it on and goes to run normal almost immediately.

Or you can build a mechanic watch charger:

This one is actually funny if you don't mind him being the world's worst camera man and sounding like he's on the verge of a heart attack: (well, that's what makes it funny)

So to give Seiko a small fortune for their charger is just mad.

I wonder if any induction charger would work with them?

Arrived yesterday evening......

358423.JPG

358424.JPG

358425.JPG

Dang, that dial is busier than a one legged man in an arse kicking contest! :p:D
    Very nice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

JG, well you may wear. What's the 1, 1.1......-9.5 bezel for? Not sure if I like the tail on the hour hand though. Welcome to the kinetic club. ;)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    JG, well you may wear. What's the 1, 1.1......-9.5 bezel for? Not sure if I like the tail on the hour hand though. Welcome to the kinetic club. ;)

It's the slide rule. The 1 can be used as a '1' - 10 - 100 etc for calculations, same way the 1.1 can be that, or 11 etc. it's certainly different to other slide rule bezels I have which run 0 to 90.

The 1000 yards conversion on the bezel is also different to other slide rule bezels - handy enough if you need to convert distances for torpedo firing solutions and artillery fire missions (neither of which I actually do, but you never know when you might need to :D)

The long tail on the hour hand is for when you are using it as a compass like I learned in the scouts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

peasant wrote: »
    Now ...all of you, sit down, breathe deeply and remove all sharp and pointy objects from reach ...

Ready?

I bought a ....quartz watch :eek::eek::eek:

Bulova quartz watch with sweeping hand you say P? Here's its grandaddy in 70's flares. :D

Those Precisonists are very cool watches. One of the very few new watches I've been tempted by. Well wear.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Wibbs wrote: »
    Those Precisonists are very cool watches. One of the very few new watches I've been tempted by. Well wear.

Bored with it already* ...been wearing it constantly all week and no matter how hard I squint at it with time.is open in the background, I can't see the tiniest deviation..not even a fraction of a second ...booooring.
    Even my radio controlled Junghans (without signal) would be out by 2-3 seconds by now.

I'm not sure I'm quite ready for all this precision :D

The precisionist movement sure is cool ..not so sure about the watches. The design is very much New American-Japanese Baroque, ever so slightly over the top.

The Accutron II series with remakes of old tuning fork designs however ..I could see myself owning one of those once prices come down a bit.

*may not be factual

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

Gift from friend for being best man

jHfyVC.jpg

Can we rename this thread to "post pictures of your Seiko"? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Have to say I quite like that. Becoming more interested in non-round (tonda?) faces recently. Not just JLC shapes, but squarey-round.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Bulova quartz watch with sweeping hand you say P? Here's its grandaddy in 70's flares. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The 1970's was the period for that kinda thing F. They really went off the reservation design wise back then. These days it's more about the traditional look, more playing it safe. Well, among the mainstream Swiss anyway.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This is the kind of thing that has been catching my eye recently (although at $40,000 I'm not sure the bank manager is looking in the same direction):

Vacheron-Constantin-Harmony-Dual-Time-Watch-aBlogtoWatch-2_zpsfx4c7n2u.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That's a cushion case, if I'm not mistaken. A bit less elegant, but a bit more affordable: Longines

This Longines? - lovely:

LONGINES_HERITAGE_1973_GRID1_zpsrle59fvu.jpg

Although the Glashutte in blue especially is very nice:

Glashutte-Original-Senator-Seventies-Chronograph-16_zpsxjeq7dqk.jpg

As is this Perrelet in Arabic:

myperreletcushion02a_zpscx2n2izj.jpg

Or Roman:

perrelet-a1021_3-watch-31%201_zpsn5ft4xoo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I like that Longines with the exception of the lugs. They look a bit out of place.

What about a Monza as an alternative?

• Advertisement

Good spot - wire ones would look much better.

Hamilton make a nice one too, with or without a chrono. Can't remember the model name, (it's not the Pan Europ).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement