Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wicklow County Council

• 15-01-2015 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi, I'm just looking for advice. I was granted planning in 2012 and as part of the conditions and for the privilege of getting planning, I was instructed to pay €9.5k in development and contribution fees. I initially paid €5k of this and have the reminder left. Unfortunately I am unable to pay all of this as present. Since my planning the fees have reduced with the introduction of the water rates etc this eliminates that charge which would allow me see a reduction of around €2.5k on the balance. This is something I am working ok achieving. Anyway I received a letter this week to say that if I didn't pay the balance within 4 weeks I was going to have an enforcement notice served on me. To add insult when I logged on to the Wicklow county council website, there it was, a copy of the letter they sent, with my name, address, how much I have paid and how much I owe etc. I called them up and advised that I will be putting a plan in place with regards to payment and could they remove the letter from online viewing, get response was I'll see what I can do!! I understand it's part of the planning but surely I have some rights here so as my personal finance woes are not splashed across the internet for all to see! Am so fed up of this council and their ruthless ways!!! Someone please advise??? Thanks

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

I'd suggest this isn't the right place to ask and maybe speaking with a lawyer may be your best course of action.

Splinter

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Not really the right forum and I'm not sure where to move it. I'll leave it open for suggestions but nobody is to offer legal advice here.

OP, you should really see a solicitor (or if funds are tight I'd suggest citizens information. They're very helpful people).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Duffers11 wrote: »
    To add insult when I logged on to the Wicklow county council website, there it was, a copy of the letter they sent, with my name, address, how much I have paid and how much I owe etc. I called them up and advised that I will be putting a plan in place with regards to payment and could they remove the letter from online viewing, get response was I'll see what I can do!! I understand it's part of the planning but surely I have some rights here so as my personal finance woes are not splashed across the internet for all to see! Am so fed up of this council and their ruthless ways!!! Someone please advise??

May be a data protection issue. As far as I am aware the publication of certain planning related data including documents such as the application form, maps, reports, etc... is covered in legislation (planning acts) which means that data protection doesn't apply, however there have been cases previously where LAs have been investigated by the data protection commissioner in respect of incorrectly publishing personal data in the planning area (scanned documents).

Best to discuss with your Council first and if you get no satisfaction a call to the data protection commissioners office may be required to see where you formally stand.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Contact the council first and ask the Data Protection Commissioner for advice. If in doubt contact your local Citizen's Information office.

County Councils can be brutal at times for efficiency, but I wouldn't call the DPC inefficient.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement