Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2015

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Not been named yet , something Creedon does all the time , announces the team late or else names the team and on the day it will have 2-3 changes from what he originally called . Can`t see it being much different from what we are used to , only Evan Comerford and Seamus Kennedy added to the panel and John Coughlan stepping down .

Marked a "thanks for you on the above post" but it does not appear even after trying it a couple of times. Just thought I would let you know!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Niall O'Meara got 1-1 which is great to see. I think he will be a big player for us in future somehow. He is tenacious, quick and actually quite skilful.
    True,I think he has it in him to make the grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

tipp 2 15 wexford 16 i think thats how it finished up in cashel today seamie callanan missed a peno straight at the goalie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

buggy beag wrote: »
    tipp 2 15 wexford 16 i think thats how it finished up in cashel today seamie callanan missed a peno straight at the goalie

But played extremely well. Young Breen Joe mouse Niall O Meara and Jason Forde also impressive.

Not been named yet , something Creedon does all the time , announces the team late or else names the team and on the day it will have 2-3 changes from what he originally called . Can`t see it being much different from what we are used to , only Evan Comerford and Seamus Kennedy added to the panel and John Coughlan stepping down .

Does Creedon have the same luxury as Eamon O'Shea in that he knows who exactly will be involved or chomping at the bit in 2015?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

1:1 hurling penalty week 1 trial - Walsh Cup & Waterford Crystal Cup (7 games, 3 penalties, 1 scored, 2 saved) - 33% success

ya has a couple of good points always thought myself at amatuer level managers should be picked from within

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

buggy beag wrote: »
    ya has a couple of good points always thought myself at amatuer level managers should be picked from within
    Why?
    Outside voices are needed every so often to break up the norm. Different voice who very likely could have very different ideas.

• Advertisement

name the last outside manager to win an all ireland?its only amatuer level so imo should always be someone from within the county they'll have their ear to the ground in terms of new players or if certain players are out the wkends etc. plus travel expenses arn't going to be as high.if tipperary say had a cork manager and both teams met in an all ireland final im sure he would want to win but hey so what if he doesnt hes own county won

Michael Bond with Offaly?

Outside voices have been more successful at club level - and seem to be all the rage - wonder what the rates of success are...

ya think you might be right.ya you would hear of alot of them on crazy money to

Yeah - they're crazy stories regarding payment doing the rounds...

O'Shea smiled: "I'd prefer no goalkeeper! I don't mind. Rules are rules.

"It's a bit of drama but I'm too busy thinking about what the team is doing to worry about the rules. There's a committee on that. Loads of people have views on that - I don't."

O'Shea added: "They've tried to address some of the issues, in fairness.

"And when you have a body like that doing something, it's worthwhile.

"You have to give them a chance to see whether they work or not. They may or may not."

O'Shea oversaw a productive weekend for Tipperary as the Premier County defeated Mary Immaculate College in the preliminary round of the Waterford Crystal Cup last Friday night, before following up with a five-point challenge victory over Wexford on Sunday.

He added: "We're just taking this game by game.

"You can't take it any other way. You don't even know on any given night what players you have in.

"It might seem odd to say that but you don't, with the colleges and so on.

"We've had two games in 48 hours with roughly the same players so these are all building up stamina.

"We have a panel of 35/36. We're missing 18 of them with injuries, sickness, colleges. At this time of the year, it's just hard to know what's going on."

And O'Shea has played down the significance of next Sunday's Waterford Crystal Cup quarter-final showdown with Clare in Sixmilebridge - a game which is a repeat of the last three finals of the competition.

Tipp defeated the Banner County in the 2014 decider at the Gaelic Grounds but O'Shea said: "We have games organised for the next four or five weeks so it doesn't make any difference whether we proceed or not.

"We have games every week - this (Waterford Crystal Cup) is a pre-season competition and that's all it is."

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Does Creedon have the same luxury as Eamon O'Shea in that he knows who exactly will be involved or chomping at the bit in 2015?

Creedon is working from a smaller pool of players and knows the 20 or so Players who are at the level required . EoS gets to see the fringe players regularly playing Club games unlike Creedon , there is no fixed pattern to Club Football games . I would like to see it the same as they do in Offaly , Football one week , Hurling the next .
    Good to see a number of Under 21s involved last Sunday , Creedon is in charge of them this year also .

RIP.

Done alot of good work did Tommy but had his aul faults too as administator. Overall though 49 years service including his playing career is highly commendable.

Condolences to the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭maniac2003

1:1 hurling penalty week 1 trial - Walsh Cup & Waterford Crystal Cup (7 games, 3 penalties, 1 scored, 2 saved) - 33% success

I'd keep my powder dry and view the stats in summer with a dry ball.

The conditions are anti-hurling at the moment

maniac2003 wrote: »
    I'd keep my powder dry and view the stats in summer with a dry ball.

Yeah i think its too early to establish whether this experiment will be a success or not. Players arent sharp this time of year either it must also be said so the quality of penaltys will greatly decline this time of year. Its something that will need tinkering with over time id say too.

Liam Sheedy's "What do you think of that Cyril Farrell?!" tweet this week was mere cheeky bit of banter at a friend and colleague. Cyril is opposed to it in the long run but i would think its worth at least experimenting with.

• Advertisement

The conditions are anti-hurling at the moment

This time of the year is about shaking the cobwebs off and getting fit.

and trying to unearth a few gems -

Is O'Riordan involved anymore?

Waterford Crystal Cup Quarter Final – Clare v Tipperary
    Clare will play Tipperary in the Quarter Final of the Waterford Crystal Cup on Sunday January 18th at 2pm in Sixmilebridge.

Team News

The Tipperary team has been named as follows –

1 Darragh Egan (Kildangan)
    2 Joe O’Dwyer (Killenaule)
    3 Paul Curran (Mullinahone)
    4 Conor O’Brien (Eire Og Annacarty)
    5 Ronan Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
    6 Conor O’Mahony (Newport)
    7 Brendan Maher (Borris-Ileigh, Captain)
    8 Thomas Stapleton (Templederry Kenyons)
    9 Gearoid Ryan (Templederry Kenyons)
    10 Denis Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
    11 James Woodlock (Drom & Inch)
    12 Conor Kenny (Borris-Ileigh)
    13 David Butler (Drom & Inch)
    14 Sean Maher (Clonoulty-Rossmore)
    15 Shane Bourke (JK Brackens)
    Substitutes
    Darren Gleeson (Portroe)
    Padraic Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
    Seamus Callanan (Drom & Inch)
    Stephen Maher (Thurles Sarsfields)
    Shane McGrath (Ballinahinch)
    Patrick Maher (Lorrha)
    Liam Treacy (Loughmore-Castleiney)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

and trying to unearth a few gems -

Is O'Riordan involved anymore?

Colin O'Riordan and Seamus Kennedy have both committed to senior football in 2015 AFAIK.

not a bad looking team should be a good test was never at a game in sixmilebridge so looking forward to it hope theres a good stand up there because the weather aint looking to good for it

Does that mean John Meagher has committed to hurling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Does that mean John Meagher has committed to hurling?

Don't think a decision has been made there. I would be shocked if he didn't give Senior Hurling his full attention this year. As long as he stays injury free he'll be competing for a position with not much competition.

It'll be interesting to see what O'Shea does this year at the backs.

2. Cathal Barrett / Paddy Stapleton
    3. James Barry / Paul Curran / John Meagher
    4. Mikey Cahill / Paddy Stapleton
    5. Brendan Maher / James Barry
    6. Paudi Maher / Conor O'Mahony
    7. Kieran Bergin / Mikey Cahill

Lot's of options there. James Barry could probably play anywhere in the backs. What a great find himself and Barrett were last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Paddico

glued wrote: »
    Colin O'Riordan and Seamus Kennedy have both committed to senior football in 2015 AFAIK.

Delighted with this.
    They're both better footballers and O'Riordan has the potential to be immense

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

Paddico wrote: »
    Delighted with this.
    They're both better footballers and O'Riordan has the potential to be immense

Delighted also , wouldn`t read too much into the Cork result , we played very well in stages and used a lot of Under 21s where as Cork had a stronger team out . Colin is a natural Footballer and he knows this and that is where his future lies .

• Advertisement

Anytime I've seen O'Riordan play football he's looked like a rolls royce of a player - I don't think Kennedy is quite in his league as a footballer?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement