Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clonmel Doctor

• 10-12-2014 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've been living in Clonmel for a few months now and need to get a prescription renewed, normally I would get it from my own GP back home in Galway when I visit my parents but for some random reason there are no doctors around on Saturday. Can any one recommend a good doctor in Clonmel?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭pooch90

No point going to Mary St Medical Centre if you're in a rush, they need to take a week or so to decide if they will take you as a patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭martinak89

pooch90 wrote: »
    No point going to Mary St Medical Centre if you're in a rush, they need to take a week or so to decide if they will take you as a patient.

Oh right! Good to know!

pooch90 wrote: »

Are they good doctors to go to? Just for future reference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

martinak89 wrote: »
    Are they good doctors to go to? Just for future reference?

No they aren't.

No they aren't.

oh......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Tubberadora

No they aren't.

I've been with them since I was born no issues. Always busy but generally fit you in that day or the next morning latest. Oh is with western rd medical centre. Remember her looking for an appointment on a Thursday morning to be told Monday would be the soonest.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

Hi all,

I've been living in Clonmel for a few months now and need to get a prescription renewed, normally I would get it from my own GP back home in Galway when I visit my parents but for some random reason there are no doctors around on Saturday. Can any one recommend a good doctor in Clonmel?

Avoid western house medical center at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

Hi all,

Maybe I'll just stick with my GP in Galway :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

To be honest I have heard that both Mary Street and Western house are to be avoided too...impossible to get an appointment and in a rush to get rid of you...I assume there are other decent Docs about but I just don't know one who is to be recommended !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭pooch90

I see Dr Cathy Foley in Mary St and find her very good.
    The whole set up is a shambles though, you could be waiting an hour when you have made an appointment.
    It can be very mercenary when they demand payment upfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Too many medics "tried" to jump on the property bandwagon in the Celtic Tiger days. Time now to go back to small private practice where the doctor can nominate a stand in or two when on a day off or on vacation.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I'm with Western House medical centre and I find all the doctors in there very good. I have a great relationship with my own doctor so for that reason alone I'll be staying with them.

BUT it is very difficult to get an appointment. Usually a couple of days wait. I also work 9-5 outside of Clonmel and I used to use the Saturday morning clinic 4 times a year as I have a medical condition. In the last year they have changed Saturday morning to emergency only so I now have to take a half day off work every time I need to go to the clinic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xkariex

Try Dr. Quirke in Gladstone street, they have a Sat morning walk in service!:) Or the surgery over in the gables!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Try Patrick Lynch in Irishtown. Slightly eccentric but good doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

I imagine the OP will be too scared to attend any doctor in Clonmel after the responses on this thread!!

Hopefully some of the medics are reading and taking note.

dieselbug wrote: »
    I imagine the OP will be too scared to attend any doctor in Clonmel after the responses on this thread!!

Hopefully some of the medics are reading and taking note.

That is exactly how I feel.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

I know how you feel:mad:

I hate opening this up again but seriously can someone help? I'm getting desperate. There seems to be no one worth reliable in Clonmel, I'm not a million miles away from Cashel, any doctor in Cashel that people would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

I just come across this on a seach for a doctors phone number.

Dr Patrick Lynch in Irishtown is second to none. If I phoned him now for an appointment, he would fit me in this afternoon, no problems.

I just phoned for a prescription and it will be waiting for me in under 2 hours. Best service ever and a lovely gent.

(and I moved from Mary Street Medical Centre 10 years ago when the butcher Jaco worked there - avoid at all costs)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I just come across this on a seach for a doctors phone number.

Dr Patrick Lynch in Irishtown is second to none. If I phoned him now for an appointment, he would fit me in this afternoon, no problems.

I just phoned for a prescription and it will be waiting for me in under 2 hours. Best service ever and a lovely gent.

(and I moved from Mary Street Medical Centre 10 years ago when the butcher Jaco worked there - avoid at all costs)
    Butcher Jaco?

Butcher Jaco?

Yep, he's a shocking doctor. I can't quite remember his last name but if you have met him, you'd know who I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Butcher Jaco?

Yep, he's a shocking doctor. I can't quite remember his last name but if you have met him, you'd know who I meant.

I know who you mean, although he’s been gone from there for a few years. I’ve met a locum or two in mary street who I wouldn’t go to by choice, but I find the rest of them in Mary street good. I’ve been a patient of theirs since birth. They’ve gone busy, but generally will fit us in quickly enough, especially if it’s an emergency. We don’t get sick much though!

Just curious, what's quickly enough. Could you ring in the morning and get in at 2pm? If you have an appointment time, do they keep to it? I had appointments there for 9am and not seen a doctor till 10am. How can you be running late 1 hour at the hour of the morning? Its because they make appointments for 9am but the doctors dont start until 9.30. My time is as important as theirs, IMO. And the butcher has gone from there, he's in Fethard now. Dreadful doctor. Anyway, I didn't mean to start the thread again, I just happened across it today and I feel Patrick Lynch and Maire Nic Eoin are second to none and wanted to pass that on on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I don’t think I’ve ever rang and not gotten a same day appointment if it was needed. Maybe once I was told there was nothing, but when I said we’d have to wait and go to Caredoc, they squeezed us in.
    The wait times have improved dramatically over the years, and I think up to an hour is acceptable, given that they might be squeezing in those emergencies!
    That said, your right about the early morning slots- there’s no real reason for those ones to be delayed, unless the odd time they’re called to an emergency house call, which is fine, IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

How could a GP be referred to as a butcher?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

How could a GP be referred to as a butcher?

I certainly wouldn't like to be the one to type it on a public forum, unless the doctor refereed to does it as a hobby or part time job of course, but doubt it.

I have no idea as to the identity of said doctor, curious though.

Because he butchered my daughters finger trying to remove a wart. It was pumping blood, I was screaming stop, stop and he just threw a swab at it. Shocking, she was 8 years old and I had to carry her out of the place, she couldn't walk with the trauma. He didn't freeze the finger first, just cut into it with a scapel. i wrote to the practice, to my usual doctor, she phoned me and apologised but I swore to my daughter she would never have to step over the threshold there again. And we never have. 8 years later she remembers every bit of it - and its not that I mention it, I would never have bought it up, only I was googling a doctor and this thread popped up. No other reason, I have no agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Hi all,

Enquire around at the local pharmacies, and remember Fethard and Cahir are only 15 minutes away.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement

dieselbug wrote: »
    I certainly wouldn't like to be the one to type it on a public forum, unless the doctor refereed to does it as a hobby or part time job of course, but doubt it.

I have no idea as to the identity of said doctor, curious though.

I have no agenda and I can vouch every word I've said. He butchered my daughters finger and we never went back - I had been a patient there over 10 years. Doctors are not infallible, there are good ones and bad ones, he is a bad one. I know someone who left the medical centre he's in now because of him - no relation to me and they mentioned it in passing, I never mentioned my issue with him. Be warned.

Advertisement