Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Surveillance Self-Defense

• 23-10-2014 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭

Modern technology has given the powerful new abilities to eavesdrop and collect data on innocent people. Surveillance Self-Defense is EFF's guide to defending yourself and your friends from surveillance by using secure technology and developing careful practices.

Select an article from our index to learn about a tool or issue, or check out one of our playlists to take a guided tour through a new set of skills.
    https://ssd.eff.org/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bd0101

Let's not forget that the healthiest option for privacy, is to stay away from any US-centric service provider.

I like a lot the catalogue that EFF has put together, and we should all think and contribute back ideas and ways of bettering our own privacy and security.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

bd0101 wrote: »
    Let's not forget that the healthiest option for privacy, is to stay away from any US-centric service provider.

I like a lot the catalogue that EFF has put together, and we should all think and contribute back ideas and ways of bettering our own privacy and security.

And UK surely?

Mr. G wrote: »
    And UK surely?

Thanks for adding up :) much agreed - GCHQ is hands on with all UK network. They are not as gag-ordering as in US (law is the reason), but they to tap and listen pretty much anywhere. This is why there were discussions for businesses and private individuals sharing their passwords and private keys on demand (cannot find a link now, but this had made a huge noise).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

Thanks for adding up :) much agreed - GCHQ is hands on with all UK network. They are not as gag-ordering as in US (law is the reason), but they to tap and listen pretty much anywhere. This is why there were discussions for businesses and private individuals sharing their passwords and private keys on demand (cannot find a link now, but this had made a huge noise).

The latter is probably worse (GCHQ) because that country does not have a constitution. At least the US has a constitution, even if it is currently ignored by the Obama and perhaps a few administrations prior to him. In the US a legal framework exists for the people to take action, if they could wake up from their "fear of terrorism" mental cloud..... a terrorism their politicians were largely responsible for creating (along with GB).

The above brought me an interesting thought. In contrast with what other countries do, US is protecting their companies and interests abroad, and support any illegal activity in Cyberspace - when for example UK, DE, etc, would gladly hack their own interests to gain advantage.

I guess EU should implement systems that are independent of US and Safe HArbour agreement, and enforce a no-hack policy on their own assets. Freedom and protection - that's the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

The above brought me an interesting thought. In contrast with what other countries do, US is protecting their companies and interests abroad, and support any illegal activity in Cyberspace - when for example UK, DE, etc, would gladly hack their own interests to gain advantage.

I guess EU should implement systems that are independent of US and Safe HArbour agreement, and enforce a no-hack policy on their own assets. Freedom and protection - that's the way.

My view is that I agree the US system seeks to protect and enhance its global power grab - which includes its corporations and other entities - incorporated or otherwise.

GB is not in the EU for "cyber security" purposes - it participates in spying on the German and other EU governments, for example. Also it has a BRexit on the cards. (Ireland's national flag carrier will be owned by a non-EU state if that takes place).

GB is not in Schengen, and is being used as an excuse to stop Ireland from signing the Schengen agreement in full. The Anglo-Saxon government spy agencies (ie US, GB, AU, NZ and CA) use each other to do dirty work that is/may be illegal in one jurisdiction, on an "I scratch your back, you scratch mine") basis.

"9/11" has turned into a massive job creation racket, and pumped up unaccountable agencies with virtually unlimited budgets. The NSA's total budget (ie spy.us) is several times as large as the FBI's budget (fed-anti-crime.us).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I wrote a script a while back for detecting WIFI pineapples, if its of use to you?

Advertisement