Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and intercounty) Discussion thread 2014

• 08-01-2014 12:07pm

UP THE PREMIER!!!

New year and hopefully new all irelands to go with it. Would be a bit too time consuming to paste the fixtures this year as the Tipp GAA website has changed so here is a link to the pdf on the official GAA website detailing the league fixture list for 2014. Ctrl +F and enter Tipperary to search for our fixtures.

http://www.gaa.ie/content/files/Allianz%20League%202014.pdf

Hurlers play LIT this Sunday in Nenagh i believe @ 2pm in the prelim round of the Waterford Crystal Tournament

Comments

So is the Munster boycott still on at Senior football level? What happens come championship time? Has the footballers lined up anyone to play against in the interim?

Heaven knows we were bad enough against Carlow in Thurles last year despite the preparation and appearance in the Mcgrath cup final in advance. This year we play them in Dr Cullen with no competitive game under our belt. It was the fixture last year that subsequently cost us promotion given that Carlow with all due respect are highly beatable as the rest of their league campaign proved.
    I suppose to be fair the u21s are playing in the Hastings cup and the bulk of our panel would be that age id imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I think the Hurling game Sunday is live on Tipp FM,I'm surprised their actually covering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Can I recommend putting a link to last years thread in the opening post for anyone who wants to check up on something etc

2014 to be the year we bounce back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Paddico

Could I suggest seperate Hurling and Football threads? That would be great

Can anyone explain to me why the 4 counties have pulled out of the McGrath cup yet the motion to see Cork and kerry seeded got passed. I'm nearly certain Limerick back the motion but surely it would have needed a majority to get passed. Now the weaker 4 have all gone against the McGrath cup whiich I also find confusing. Does anyone know how the motion got passed in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I used to post on the previous years threads but stoped due to the amount of negative crap that was being posted but its a new year and a new start so Im back :D (apologies)

Paddico to answer your question re. the football, it was actually Limerick who proposed the motion! And Waterford obstained from the vote, so only Tipp asnd Clare objected - thats ther problem when the majority of the delegates at a Munster Council meeting are onlty interested in one code and also of course Limerick were half way into bed with Frank Murphy at this stage over the 1A and 1B hurling league fiasco so this was their way of paying him back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

When will the 2014 panel be announced? Last year it was announced in December as far as I remember. Few players will be lucky to be recalled. Does anyone see a starting place for Thomas Hamill this year? Is he good under the high ball? You'd expect such for his height.

2-8 to 0-1 at ht in the WCC game in Nenagh,looks easy for Tipp.

tippspur wrote: »
    2-8 to 0-1 at ht in the WCC game in Nenagh,looks easy for Tipp.

LIT have only a second string out tho I believe

3-20 to 0-5 in the end i think,no test for Tipp today.

• Advertisement

Generally the matches this time of year are no more then glorified training matches and today was even worse because the opposition were weakened. Have to be done of course but even the league at this stage (barring perhaps the league final) cant be over analysed.

Very disappointed that certain names that have fundamentally failed Tipperary hurling since the 2010 win are still on the panel. Hopefully they have either changed their attitude or will be found out finally before its too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

What a waste of money, meals, travelling expenses, time etc. something will have to be changed. A good training sessions with two panels in Morris Park today would have been a much better idea. Tipp need to use their financial resources more wisely.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    What a waste of money, meals, travelling expenses, time etc. something will have to be changed. A good training sessions with two panels in Morris Park today would have been a much better idea. Tipp need to use their financial resources more wisely.

While I agree with the fact it was a waste, Tipp can't be blamed for the fact the opposition fielded a poor team in a competitive game in an annual competition sanctioned by the Munster council in all fairness. All Tipp could do was fulfill their side of the bargain. Just one of those days where presumably LIT hadnt the strongest panel available to them.

Clare panel apparently off on their team holiday at the moment also so Tony Kelly would not have been available to LIT

• Site Banned Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Spirit of 67

So is the Munster boycott still on at Senior football level? What happens come championship time? Has the footballers lined up anyone to play against in the interim?

Heaven knows we were bad enough against Carlow in Thurles last year despite the preparation and appearance in the Mcgrath cup final in advance. This year we play them in Dr Cullen with no competitive game under our belt. It was the fixture last year that subsequently cost us promotion given that Carlow with all due respect are highly beatable as the rest of their league campaign proved.
    I suppose to be fair the u21s are playing in the Hastings cup and the bulk of our panel would be that age id imagine.

They are boycotting the McGrath Cup , but are taking part in the Munster Championship . So far they have played and beaten Offaly and Kildare in challenges , don`t know what team Kildare put out but if it was anything near their first 15 , that`s a very impressive scalp !
    Anyone know when the draw is being made for the County Adult Football Leagues and the Divisional Under 21 Football Championships , they are due to start soon ?

They are boycotting the McGrath Cup , but are taking part in the Munster Championship . So far they have played and beaten Offaly and Kildare in challenges , don`t know what team Kildare put out but if it was anything near their first 15 , that`s a very impressive scalp !
    Anyone know when the draw is being made for the County Adult Football Leagues and the Divisional Under 21 Football Championships , they are due to start soon ?

Is there any report and teamsheet for those games?

Paddico wrote: »
    Is there any report and teamsheet for those games?

Can`t find 1 , it just got a brief mention in The Guardian last week .

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭buggy beag

was at the game sunday lit were very poor but like it was said in previous posts they didnt have their full compliment of players but just glad the hurling is back been to long a wait.heading to kerry now sunday going to be a long drive but ive never seen tipp play kerry in the hurling so looking forward to it.does anyone know where would be the best place to park down there?im told dunnes stores has a car park across the road but i dont know tralee only drove through there 2 or 3 times:)

buggy beag wrote: »
    was at the game sunday lit were very poor but like it was said in previous posts they didnt have their full compliment of players but just glad the hurling is back been to long a wait.heading to kerry now sunday going to be a long drive but ive never seen tipp play kerry in the hurling so looking forward to it.does anyone know where would be the best place to park down there?im told dunnes stores has a car park across the road but i dont know tralee only drove through there 2 or 3 times:)

Jasus your some fan fair play to you. I go to as many competitive Tipp games as i can but ive an awful feeling that Sundays game could be shooting practice. No disrespect to Kerry but were two divisions above them. Dont mean to sound cocky but if we go about our job some way professionally then we should put them to the sword. In the same way that they would expect to beat us in football most of the time really although we have narrowed the gap somewhat

Jasus your some fan fair play to you. I go to as many competitive Tipp games as i can but ive an awful feeling that Sundays game could be shooting practice. No disrespect to Kerry but were two divisions above them. Dont mean to sound cocky but if we go about our job some way professionally then we should put them to the sword. In the same way that they would expect to beat us in football most of the time really although we have narrowed the gap somewhat

cheers lad im the same and what else would u be doing on a sunday only sitting at home bored so feck it roadtrip it is haha ah ya you would imagine we will beat them out the gate but like i said never seen them play kerry in the hurling so a novelty thing more than anything and like you said they always beat us in the football so at least in my mind i can say well we handed ye yer arses in the hurling,well hopfully anyway im probaly after putting the jinx on us now haha:p

• Advertisement

cheers lad im the same and what else would u be doing on a sunday only sitting at home bored so feck it roadtrip it is haha ah ya you would imagine we will beat them out the gate but like i said never seen them play kerry in the hurling so a novelty thing more than anything and like you said they always beat us in the football so at least in my mind i can say well we handed ye yer arses in the hurling,well hopfully anyway im probaly after putting the jinx on us now haha:p

Fairplay Buggy Beag. A true fan.
    Looking forward to your report

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Seen tipp vs kerry in the hurling in tralee around 15 years ago in the munster championship. Absolutely walloped them, but as you said it was worth the trip for the novelty factor alone also kerry in June isn't a bad place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I like what's going on in Kerry hurling.

They had a good League campaign last year, coming third, winning four of their five games (their only loss coming to what is a good Laois side) but since their division (2A) has Laois and Westmeath in it, it's hard to progress. Westmeath play in the Championship and we all know how close Laois ran Galway last year.

However Laois have moved up (which will do them a lot of good) but Carlow will drop down to 2A and while Carlow lost all their games and had a shocking defensive record (allowed twelve goals in five games...) I fear they'll be too strong for Kerry, Derry, Wicklow etc.

If Kerry beat Westmeath and the rest and Carlow slip up Kerry could come up to Div. 1B - to face Offaly and Wexford, now wouldn't that be something. But like I said, it's a really difficult division bordering cutthroat: four out of five wins and while that'll win you a group, it was tied with first and second place.

They also reached the Christy Ring Cup final, granted it won't leave Tipperary or Clare or Kilkenny quaking in their boots but it's a good achievement by a county that is utterly dominated by football. Down beat them by two points in the final.

Eamonn Kelly (one of our own and a Kildangan native) is the new boss and Brendan Cummins is along as the new goalkeeping coach. The reason I include Cummins in there is that even though he's a GK coach, I imagine everyone would want to elevate their play with him around. I know I would. Brian Horgan is another coaching appointee. Hopefully Kelly will be a positive addition. Naturally it will take some time to transition.

There's good hurlers there: Shane Nolan scores a lot of points and goals for fun. John Egan is their captain and is a good hurler. There's certainly support, there's a small section of Kerry that only acknowledge hurling, no football. Ballyduff, Crotta O' Neil's, Ardfert, Kilmoyley send a majority of the players to senior level.

I wish Kerry the best for the year and will keep an eye on them and hope that Tipperary don't beat them out the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

I'm looking forward to the game Sunday. I haven't been to a game in a couple of years. Its been pissing rain all day here in Tralee which may be the wettest area on earth. I hope it goes ahead as there are a few of us "ex pats" looking forward to seeing a proper game being played.

I'm looking forward to the game Sunday. I haven't been to a game in a couple of years. Its been pissing rain all day here in Tralee which may be the wettest area on earth. I hope it goes ahead as there are a few of us "ex pats" looking forward to seeing a proper game being played.

ah bar a hurricane it should go ahead,gaa folk wouldnt be as soft as our soccer counterparts haha.hey flanders is there a dunnes stores across the road from the ground with parking or where would you recommend for parking?any help would be appreciated:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

If Tipp want to learn anything from next Sunday's game against Kerry. They should make it deliberately difficult for themselves by deciding in the early stages of the game to only go for goals. Goals win matches and all last year Tipp's goal tally was low. A team needs to work on goals just like a Premier (no pun intended) League team on the training ground and after all Sundays game should not even come up to the same standard as a good training session. It would also be very useful to Brendan Cummins as he might have the opportunity to show the goalkeeper and the backs how to learn from their mistakes.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

ah bar a hurricane it should go ahead,gaa folk wouldnt be as soft as our soccer counterparts haha.hey flanders is there a dunnes stores across the road from the ground with parking or where would you recommend for parking?any help would be appreciated:)

Loads of parking at Dunnes. You could chance Buy Lo across the road from the stand side. There wont be much local interest tbh. Parking won't be a problem.
    If you have a hankering for crubeens you can get them in the Green Rooster around the corner from SuperValu on Rock St.
    If you want to watch the foreign game afterwards on Sky, try the Blasket or any of the pubs in that area and beyond.
    Bring a raincoat.

Loads of parking at Dunnes. You could chance Buy Lo across the road from the stand side. There wont be much local interest tbh. Parking won't be a problem.
    If you have a hankering for crubeens you can get them in the Green Rooster around the corner from SuperValu on Rock St.
    If you want to watch the foreign game afterwards on Sky, try the Blasket or any of the pubs in that area and beyond.
    Bring a raincoat.

sound lad appreciate it.mon da premier:)

Draw made in the South tonight :

Under 21 Football :

Commercials v Ardfinnan

Ballyporeen v Moyle Rovers.

First round next weekend , just 4 teams in the group .

South Senior Football Championship :

Prelim Rd

Ardfinnan V Moyle Rovers .

1/4 finals:

BallyPoreen V Kilsheelan/K

Commercials V Fethard

Prelim winner V Clonmel Óg

Killenaule V Cahir .

No date set yet .

• Advertisement

The South Senior Hurling Championship will run, as follows:

RD 1 Fixtures:

Carrick Swan vs Carrick Davins

Killenaule vs Ballingarry

Mullinahone get a BYE .

Winners of Carrick Swan vs Carrick Davins advance to Semi Final .

Winners of Killenaule vs Ballingarry advance to Semi Final .

One of the losers of Swan & Davins and Killenaule & Ballingarry play Mullinahone. Winner of that game advances to Semi Final .

Loser of the Mullinahone vs other 1st round loser play, with the winner advancing to Semi Finals .

Semi Finals are open draw .

Hope that`s not too complicated .

Advertisement