Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

3e NOW on Saorview

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Paddy C wrote: »
    TV3 and 3e are showing as 16:9 for me. Any 4:3 content is with black bars as my TV auto switches to add black bars if 4:3 content is showing. The Apprentice on 3e earlier was in full screen 16:9, so it appears they have sorted out their switching, or does it show everything with a 16:9 signal, meaning 4:3 content is streched?

Earlier was showing FYI (normally 4:3) in 16:9 format.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

Elmo wrote: »
    Still missing City Channel and Community TV :D

Would Setanta Ireland be a contender for inclusion, seeing it's in a similar position as 3E being carried on the basic cable platforms?

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭scath

Bazzer2 wrote: »
    Would Setanta Ireland be a contender for inclusion, seeing it's in a similar position as 3E being carried on the basic cable platforms?

Interesting, you see 3e was covered under the change to the license terms for it from Channel 6 days to TV3's license, meaning 3e would be probably automatically ready for Saorview.

I'm not sure but probably Setanta doesn't have a terrestrial license so may have to get one first from BAI? I don't know. Yea Commmunity TV and City Channels would be good additions. But again would probably require terrestrial licenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,478 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Once RTÉ add its extra channels there is no further capacity available on the first multiplex. Would be option for the second mux but cannot see them going FTA (the 2 PSB muxes are FTA only).

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭lgs 4

scath wrote: »
    Interesting, you see 3e was covered under the change to the license terms for it from Channel 6 days to TV3's license, meaning 3e would be probably automatically ready for Saorview.

I'm not sure but probably Setanta doesn't have a terrestrial license so may have to get one first from BAI? I don't know. Yea Commmunity TV and City Channels would be good additions. But again would probably require terrestrial licenses.
    ring dave harvey in morning on 4fm ask him about the city channels on dtt:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭John mac

lgs 4 wrote: »
    ring dave harvey in morning on 4fm ask him about the city channels on dtt:D

Whats 4fm ?

EDit:- Ok just found it another Dublin radio station..

John mac wrote: »
    Whats 4fm ?

EDit:- Ok just found it another Dublin radio station..

Multi-city licence, here in Limerick too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Considering that they are ONLY a Pay TV channel, and struggling, why would they want to?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

In relation to all licence I assume that they all come under the new act. AFAIK???? which allows them go on what every platform they want if they have agreements.

Which would mean that it is a case of asking to appear on Saorview or PayDTT or whatever else is their on terrestrial.

So I assume Setanta Ireland could appear there. I would suggest they go on Saorview to avail of rights which they would not be able to show on Pay platforms and also an increased audience share. They need to look at their schedule in terms of non-live sporting events. SI isn't that good to be a Pay service IMO. Setanta Ireland would forgo the money it gets from UPC and Magnet as a basic channel but at what lose they would still remain on both networks.

As for City Channel well its partly owned by UPC so its unlikely to appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

Well that is a nice surprise addition to the lineup. 6 TV channels in digital for free.

3e comes in for a lot of abuse on these boards, but it does have some shows I like... American Dad, Family Guy, Conan, CSI, NCIS, Chuck and so on and so forth. Now they might not be everyones choice of show and they might be available elsewhere, but I enjoy them and I am sure someone else does too!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

mjsmyth wrote: »
    Well that is a nice surprise addition to the lineup. 6 TV channels in digital for free.

3e comes in for a lot of abuse on these boards, but it does have some shows I like... American Dad, Family Guy, Conan, CSI, NCIS, Chuck and so on and so forth. Now they might not be everyones choice of show and they might be available elsewhere, but I enjoy them and I am sure someone else does too!

+1

3e is a bit of a pointless channel in multichannel land, but for anyone with only DTT it's a decent option. I don't think it has any shows that aren't available on other channels on UPC or Sky but for anyone who doesn't have them or runs a second TV with only DTT it's a great option to have.

Hopefully TV3 might look at stopping using it as a TV3+ 1 day channel for their bigger shows though which is incredibly tiresome and if it gets any worse will lessen the usefullness of the channel.

I think TV3 may be surprised in a couple of years as FTA TV base builds up how much % watch 3e on FTA compared with PayTV and as a result spend more on programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

At least now if I see something advertised on 3e I'd like to watch or if there is a football match being shown on 3e I can watch it instead of moaning about it's lack of availability on DTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

watty wrote: »
    I think TV3 may be surprised in a couple of years as FTA TV base builds up how much % watch 3e on FTA compared with PayTV and as a result spend more on programming.

I have to agree, just like how much more 3e I watched once it got moved to 105 on the Sky EPG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'll finally be able to enjoy Trevor Welch and Pat Dolan again!

Fantastic news about 3e!

Today I contacted Sky, told them I was now living in the UK, gave them a postcode and address for the UK, Im now receiving all the UK channels with HD for free on sat with all the Irish channels on DTT!

Yipee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Declan Carey

I have an aerial on my roof that looks like this:

yagi2.png

Bought in maplin for around 60euros.

It has one coaxial cable coming from it and going straight into the aerial connection on my LCD TV.

With this I get perfect quality RTE 1, 2, and TV3.

How can I get 3e and the other channels people discuss here, News 24 etc?

You need a Digital TV compatible with "Freeview HD" or "Saorview" or a similar set-box

Unofficial http://www.saortv.info/

offical http://www.saorview.ie/

So something like this:
    http://www.tvtrade.ie/edision-argus-vip2-combo-receiver.html

Or a TV with an MPEG4 tuner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Yes Declan.

The Edision will allow you combine satellite and DTT one channel list by connecting a dish and aerial to the back of it. There is a sticky called combo boxes that do the same.

Or if you just want DTT you can get an MPEG4 H264 dvb-t box if your TV doesnt have an MPEG4 H264 processor and Digital Tuner built in..

• Advertisement

One more quick question, the aerial on the roof only has one output (using F-Connector) on it for a coax cable, is there any kind of adapter I can get to allow another coax cable into another room without loss of signal etc (thinking of RTE HD here etc when launched).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Fantastic news about 3e!

Today I contacted Sky, told them I was now living in the UK, gave them a postcode and address for the UK, Im now receiving all the UK channels with HD for free on sat with all the Irish channels on DTT!

Yipee!

Really? I thought that you needed to sign a new contract to get a UK Sky card. The reason being different pricing, bank details and so on. I wonder when they changed the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Really? I thought that you needed to sign a new contract to get a UK Sky card. The reason being different pricing, bank details and so on. I wonder when they changed the rules.

I agree with Minstrel27. It can't be that easy to switch an Irish Sky sub card to a UK one, can it ? With one phone call, you can have CH4HD, ITV1HD, FiveHD, BBC1HD, not to mention CBBC, Cbeebies, Itv2,3,4 etc ? they hit a magic button and your Irish Epg switches to a UK one, with no questions asked ? I can understand they believing the "move" to the UK, but they don't mind having the same Irish bank account ?, and surely they would want to send out a new card to the new UK address ? On the other hand, maybe you just got lucky, but I would bet if a number of people start doing it, they would smell a rat immediately !

One more quick question, the aerial on the roof only has one output (using F-Connector) on it for a coax cable, is there any kind of adapter I can get to allow another coax cable into another room without loss of signal etc (thinking of RTE HD here etc when launched).

A splitter like this 2 way might do depending on what the signal is like otherwise a distribution amp will be required

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

rMetronic Zapbox T2 Freeview HD Digital Receiver box

e; sorry about the heavy print,came across this on amazon uk http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metronic-Zapbox-T2-Freeview-HD/dp/B003BEEP58/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1290538147&sr=8-2 its £57 and the specs are http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metronic-Zapbox-T2-Freeview-HD/dp/B003BEEP58/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1290538147&sr=8-2 so it does mpeg4 could watty or someone have a look and tell me if it would do the irish stations please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Minstrel27 wrote: »

He does say "for free". So its sounds like all he has done is turn his Irish card into a FTV uk card. No Subscription..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

givecredit wrote: »
    He does say "for free". So its sounds like all he has done is turn his Irish card into a FTV uk card. No Subscription..

No, in another thread he states:
    Now that all Irish channels are on DTT I have swapped my Irish Sky subs for UK subs.

Simple process just rang them up and gave them a UK address of a relative, continued to pay on my Irish CC.

horse7 wrote: »
    rMetronic Zapbox T2 Freeview HD Digital Receiver box

e; sorry about the heavy print,came across this on amazon uk http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metronic-Zapbox-T2-Freeview-HD/dp/B003BEEP58/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1290538147&sr=8-2 its £57 and the specs are http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metronic-Zapbox-T2-Freeview-HD/dp/B003BEEP58/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1290538147&sr=8-2 so it does mpeg4 could watty or someone have a look and tell me if it would do the irish stations please.

Yes it will.

This from the manual
    Digital Capabilities

Transmission Standards: DVB-T - MPEG2 MPEG4, DVB-T2 - MPEG4

Demodulation:
    • Combined DVB-T2, DVB-T demodulator that conforms to the ETSI EN 302-755
    (second generation Terrestrial) and ETSI EN 300-744 (Terrestrial) standards.
    • Symbol rate: COFDM with 2k, 4k, 8k, 16k, 32k FFT mode
    • Modulation: 16QAM, 64QAM, 256QAM FEC for all DVB modes (automatically found)

VIDEO
    H.264 (MPEG-4 part 10) main and high profile level 4.1/MPEG-2 MP@HL video decoder.
    • HD display multi format capable (1080p, 1080i, 720p, 576p)
    • Analogue SD output: RGB and CVBS

AUDIO
    • MPEG-1 layer I/II, MPEG-2 layer II, MPEG-2 AAC, MPEG-4 AAC
    • Sampling frequencies supported are 32, 44.1 & 48 kHz

http://www.metronic.com/pdf/notices/441830ntc-UK.pdf

galtee boy wrote: »
    I agree with Minstrel27. It can't be that easy to switch an Irish Sky sub card to a UK one, can it ?

From a technical point of view I don't see why not, it's probably just a case of changing one or two bytes of data on the card. However I would have assumed there to be more red tape involved.

• Advertisement

There are a lot of London people with N.I. Postcodes (gives RTE) :)

No doubt Sky think he is where he says he is, and it's physically the same card. They can just as easily post a new card to the address he gave. They don't require to install a box for a new UK account.

Advertisement