Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hello everyone,

Hope that today has been a good day and that there is some sort of light shining through the dark.

I'm not "going to do anything silly" but I have been trying to build up the courage to ring Pieta but don't know what to say.

I've suffered with my mind for a long time and I seem to be having a very bad relapse and need to talk to someone. Right now i'm in a good frame of mind having spent the day crying I dont have many tears left.

I just don't know what to say when I ring. Has anyone been there and can offer and advice?
    Thanks so very much and again I hope Monday has been good to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

FruityCake wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply, :) jeez I will dive in the deep end and see how it goes I suppose! Scared out of my wits!

I know exactly how you feel! I've tried many. Looking them up online can be hazardous as people generally tend to post only negatives not positives and a lot of the information you get from anonymous posters can be misinformed. I have a few friends on serteraline and swear by it. Try not worry too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Going through a bout of insomnia for the past few weeks. Never used to get it, even when I was at my lowest. I could always sleep (if anything I slept too much). I've been having a lot more negative thoughts too. I know it's the time of year that does it, but it's annoying.

Hope the rest of you are doing okay this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 FruityCake

lukesmom wrote: »
    I know exactly how you feel! I've tried many. Looking them up online can be hazardous as people generally tend to post only negatives not positives and a lot of the information you get from anonymous posters can be misinformed. I have a few friends on serteraline and swear by it. Try not worry too much

I actually bit the bullet with the first ssri and had a ridiculous amount of side effects, I didn't even bother looking at the leaflet as I'm the sort of person who would infact be convinced I have them. I really hope this one doesn't mess me up :\ my best friend is on it and only has a bit of tiredness! Advice taken though, we shall see...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 LanaFey

Can I ask how long were you on the SSRIs before the side effects occurred FruityCake? Just out of curiosity more than anything.

Off to get my second month prescription for Lexapro today. For the first 2-3 weeks I noticed some minor side effects that the doctor had warned me about- drowsiness and upset stomach/lack of appetite. Also found my teeth were chattering/clenching a bit. Those have all gone now. I've gained a couple of pounds but honestly my diet/exercise has been severely lacking in recent weeks so I'm hoping that's more to blame than the meds!

Feeling 'okay' this week so far. No panic attacks, dark moods, or crying sessions which is good. A little bit of paranoia and anxiety but the kind I can mostly ignore. I have enough energy to be productive and do 'normal' things like go to the gym and the supermarket that in itself is making me feel better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Jerry2013 wrote: »
    Hi Lightbulb, yes and i go to hospital every after two weeks and i am on olanzapine. But worry because I want be normal like I used to be. :(

Have you ever had a stay in a hospital? For a couple of months perhaps? Olanzapine is a powerful drug and hopefully will work well for you, just give it time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Jerry2013

Have you ever had a stay in a hospital? For a couple of months perhaps? Olanzapine is a powerful drug and hopefully will work well for you, just give it time.

No I havent been to the hospital :( , but now I am taking it more then 3 months, thanks

LanaFey wrote: »
    Can I ask how long were you on the SSRIs before the side effects occurred FruityCake? Just out of curiosity more than anything.

Off to get my second month prescription for Lexapro today. For the first 2-3 weeks I noticed some minor side effects that the doctor had warned me about- drowsiness and upset stomach/lack of appetite. Also found my teeth were chattering/clenching a bit. Those have all gone now. I've gained a couple of pounds but honestly my diet/exercise has been severely lacking in recent weeks so I'm hoping that's more to blame than the meds!

Feeling 'okay' this week so far. No panic attacks, dark moods, or crying sessions which is good. A little bit of paranoia and anxiety but the kind I can mostly ignore. I have enough energy to be productive and do 'normal' things like go to the gym and the supermarket that in itself is making me feel better.

Hello there, :)
    Well I’m glad that you are finding some benefits with the SSRIs! It’s great when you notice little things that used to be very stressful being dampened. I mean I know myself how frustrating it is for a simple everyday task to be like a big deal.
    I was on the medication for around 9 weeks, I did get the intial stomach problems, dizziness, extreme anxiety etc which died down after 4/5 weeks, but that’s when the other things began- I gained 2 stone over the whole course of the 9 weeks (I’ve always been slim my whole life even when taking in excess food), I suffered from night sweats every night and nightmares and was in pain with my muscles every day similar to the flu and my concentration was that of a potatoe.

The weight gain could be related to the meds (my friends have gained a minimal amount of weight, a few pounds) which really in the large picture is nothing. Might be manageable through exercise and adjustments to your diet.
    I have read stories that SSRIS make it impossible to pass a weight plateau and slow your metabolism and change your natural “set weight” but then again these could just be rumours, I haven’t found any scientific evidence to back it up- only multiple personal posts, but then again are the people with no or minimal side effects going to be on the forum complaining, probably not!

I’m sure if you are feeling less bad you are going to be more active and eat better anyway so I guess enjoy your improved mood. Plus it takes 8 weeks I’m sure to feel the full effects of the meds. :D

Seren_ wrote: »
    Going through a bout of insomnia for the past few weeks. Never used to get it, even when I was at my lowest. I could always sleep (if anything I slept too much). I've been having a lot more negative thoughts too. I know it's the time of year that does it, but it's annoying.

Hope the rest of you are doing okay this evening.

Do you find maybe that you are more stressed than ususal? I have talked to a few people, and including myself have been finding it very difficult to sleep recently.
    :) Hope you manage to get a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

So very tired. Sleeping on and off all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Chrisita

A couple of months ago I posted telling about the diagnosed causes for my very long term anxiety and depression ( diagnosed by a functional medical Dr with Biobalance training). The last part of my diagnosis was digestive related and I now take several types of digestive enzymes, tonics and powerful probiotics ( in my case bifidus and e coli nissile 1917). The change in my energy and mood is nothing short of a miracle. These are in addition to specific nutrients to rebalance some genetic abnormalities. I think I may be concluding my 22 year search for answers. Please keep on looking for your own answers, mine may provide some clues, but we are all biochemically unique. Anyway, look to the digestion for clues. I can hardly believe how less effortful life is becoming!! I want this post to give hope to you all. I have been on SSRI's for 11 years, managed to halve my dose with the Biobalance protocol, now hope to get off meds fully. Will repost in a couple of months.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

A feel sorry for self day here, sore throat and sinus trouble so i'll wallow with cold drinks and boards for the day. Headspace will probably suffer for this, but for now i'm liking the couch and tinternet laziness..

Hope all are ok here..

I'm feeling crap all day. I went to psych doctor and she agreed for me to stop a medication from tonight onwards, it is what I wanted as the weight gain side effect is getting to me. However since going in to discuss it I feel anxious all of a sudden and I haven't even stopped taking it yet! What is wrong with me? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Chrisita

According to some research, probiotics can help with weight loss as well as depression and anxiety. Perhaps it would be a good idea to take some for a while before reducing your meds. Just an idea to consider. Hugs,c

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

lukesmom wrote: »
    I'm feeling crap all day. I went to psych doctor and she agreed for me to stop a medication from tonight onwards, it is what I wanted as the weight gain side effect is getting to me. However since going in to discuss it I feel anxious all of a sudden and I haven't even stopped taking it yet! What is wrong with me? :(

What is it exactly your are anxious will happen from coming off medication? For me personally, when I finally stopped all medications (and I did it THE WRONG WAY, without dr advice) it became extremely clear to me how strong these medications are and just how much they were, for want of a better word, zombifying me.

I don't think you will have a problem, but if mentally you are start thinking any small pang of anxiety or feeling down is due to not being on the medication you will feel like you've made a mistake, but maybe remember that you had lots of times like that ON the medication too. I think you will be surprised (if you are on anything more than just SSRIs) how clear your brain will become and how much energy you get.

What is it exactly your are anxious will happen from coming off medication? For me personally, when I finally stopped all medications (and I did it THE WRONG WAY, without dr advice) it became extremely clear to me how strong these medications are and just how much they were, for want of a better word, zombifying me.

I don't think you will have a problem, but if mentally you are start thinking any small pang of anxiety or feeling down is due to not being on the medication you will feel like you've made a mistake, but maybe remember that you had lots of times like that ON the medication too. I think you will be surprised (if you are on anything more than just SSRIs) how clear your brain will become and how much energy you get.

Its mirtazapine/zispin

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

It's quite reasonable to be nervous about changing (up or down) any meds, just keep an eye on yourself and perhaps ask someone else to also if you feel ok with that..

It's quite reasonable to be nervous about changing (up or down) any meds, just keep an eye on yourself and perhaps ask someone else to also if you feel ok with that..

Haven't stopped crying all evening so have decided to continue taking them for now. I'm obviously not ready yet and I got a taste of full on anxiety today that I hadn't had for a long time. I don't care if I'm on these meds for life its better than feeling the depths of despair.

Do what feels right, depression tends to encourage habitual behaviour from my experience/observation - so change is usually a scary thing. I know that anything unusual in my patterns upsets me.. Hope you have a calmer night than day.

Do what feels right, depression tends to encourage habitual behaviour from my experience/observation - so change is usually a scary thing. I know that anything unusual in my patterns upsets me.. Hope you have a calmer night than day.

Thanks I have taken my meds so hopefully tomorrow will feel back to normal somewhat. I've 3 sick children at home also with chest and ear infections and a chest infection myself.

• Advertisement

Ah sure, the stress of that alone! I only have me to worry about. Maybe try it when things are more comfortable i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

I posted here a few weeks/months back about my own issues and forgot to check back, I've managed to improve my situation a lot through routine and exercise, though, I do still have issues with depression, I've seen drastic improvements, and I no longer feel like my entire life is controlled by it anymore.
    Anyway, I'm concerned about my best friend. He's suffered from depression for years and has gone through some patches where it wasn't too bad, and others where it's extremely bad. The last few months he's been very depressed, pretty much constantly extremely depressed and staying in bed for hours most days and only getting up when he has no choice but to get up. He's gotten to the point where he's never in the mood to talk to anyone, and if I don't initiate contact with him first, we can go days without contact in any way, which is unusual as under normal circumstances a day where we don't contact each other would be rare. I've seen him only twice since Christmas, and his next closest friend has only seen him once I believe, so since Christmas he's only socialized about 3 times, and it's definitely not due to a busy schedule as he rarely has anything planned. I make sure I ask him how he's feeling every day and ask him if he wants to talk about anything and if there's anything at all I can do to help him. I constantly remind him that if he ever needs my help or to talk he can call or text my phone and no matter what I'm doing I'll find time for him. Usually he declines these offers. I can't think of any way I can help him, has anyone got any suggestions?

I'd just like to give this a bump as I got no reply the last time. I've really no idea what to do with this, it's gotten to the point where it's now not just the issue of helping my friend, it's negatively impacting my life too, as he means the world to me and I can't stand seeing him like this.

I'd just like to give this a bump as I got no reply the last time. I've really no idea what to do with this, it's gotten to the point where it's now not just the issue of helping my friend, it's negatively impacting my life too, as he means the world to me and I can't stand seeing him like this.

Have you suggested he talk to his gp, perhaps offer to go with him? There's turntome.org that has online group support if he's not able for his doctor..

Have you suggested he talk to his gp, perhaps offer to go with him? There's turntome.org that has online group support if he's not able for his doctor..
    As far as I know, he's already been to numerous doctors and councilors, and he said they only made things worse for him. I don't believe he's receiving any treatment now, I suggested getting in touch with a councilor and he told me he doesn't want to because when he did that before it only made things worse. I know this is something very hard to advise on, I've had many sleepless nights thinking of something to do, has anyone got any more suggestions? Thanks for the reply though, I really do appreciate it.

As far as I know, he's already been to numerous doctors and councilors, and he said they only made things worse for him. I don't believe he's receiving any treatment now, I suggested getting in touch with a councilor and he told me he doesn't want to because when he did that before it only made things worse. I know this is something very hard to advise on, I've had many sleepless nights thinking of something to do, has anyone got any more suggestions? Thanks for the reply though, I really do appreciate it.

Hey definitely keep in touch with him and get him back to his gp who will only want to help him. The best thing you can do is convince him to go to his doctor again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Fair play to you BetterThanThou. You sound like a great friend to have. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

BetterThanThou, have you suggested that he goes to a support group, or contacted a mental health charity? Some people find doctors/counsellors/clinicians quite difficult to talk to or deal with, and prefer the support of other people who are going through the same thing.

Aware run support groups and have a helpline. They also have a helpline for friends/family who are concerned about someone with depression, which I know my husband found invaluable when I was at my worst. They might have some good advice for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Has anyone tried hypnosis for anxiety? something I'm thinking about trying.

DM addict wrote: »
    BetterThanThou, have you suggested that he goes to a support group, or contacted a mental health charity? Some people find doctors/counsellors/clinicians quite difficult to talk to or deal with, and prefer the support of other people who are going through the same thing.

Aware run support groups and have a helpline. They also have a helpline for friends/family who are concerned about someone with depression, which I know my husband found invaluable when I was at my worst. They might have some good advice for you.
    Thank you for the suggestion, I believe he has gotten in touch with a charity over the phone before, and he said that it was a lot of help, but stopped doing so as his depression eased up and he no longer needed to. I'll definitely suggest he does that again. Aware may be of some help, so I'll definitely get in touch with them. thank you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

yes i have done hypnosis for anxiety check out my old posts on this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement