Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computer Science

• 11-06-2009 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hello!

I'm interested in Computer Science, and I'm just curious to how people doing CS are finding it? What topics do you cover? Hows the maths? How fast do you progress throughout the programming modules? What are the other modules like in terms of complexity? Challenging course? :p

Doing my leaving certificate this year, and I'm just really wondering about Computer Science, at the moment it is my first choice. I'm into computers a fair bit, just curious about the course itself; sorry for all the questions! :pac:

Thanks a lot, appreciate it! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ItsYourTime

Ramey,

I did computer science and I'm really glad I graduated with a degree with such a broad and useful skillset.

I'll go through the course year by year.

1st year : First year is handy, very handy. Your core programming module makes up 20 credits out of 60. If you stay on top of your assignments here it's a walk in the park. Make sure you go to at least one hour a week of labs for this module because you generally learn more here and in your half an hour tutorial than in any of the lectures! In fact you learn 80-90% of it in the pratical sessions! Maths starts and finishes in first year. Discrete Maths is a core module, and isn't too bad. If you are doing honours maths for your leaving cert then this will be a breeze. If you are doing pass maths you will still get on ok if you again keep on top of your continuos assessments and go to the once a week tutorials. I did higher maths, went to my tutorials and got a very high mark as a result. There's an Internet computing module and a Computer Architecture module. Internet computing is purely theory, maybe one or two handy assignments the whole year. You'd have to try to fail it. Computer architecture is a case of a bit of learning and again keeping on top of your CA,s which are very handy. Overall they ease you in and maintain your interest throughout. Not much effort required at all!

2nd year: Hardest year by far. You either sink or swim here. The core Software development module is a step up from the first year one. It's very interesting though and the CA's are challanging and rewarding. It's all about understanding the principles of OO programming in Java. It's the most useful module you'll do! Then there's Data Structures! Now this is tough! Requires serious work but if you get good at it and can do your assignments your programming will come on leaps and bounds. Networking is the other module. Lots of theory and the CA's a tough but again, a bit of work and you'll get through. There was a C Programming module when I was in 2nd year but by the time you'd get there i'd say that it'll be gone and replaced. This year will be tough, especially the first term but important to remember, if you get through, you WILL graduate with a CS degree!

3rd year : Placement year and a walk in the park, probably the easiest year. Only lectures for the first term, exams in late January. The exams are handy, they want everyone to pass comfortably as they want nobody to be repeating on placement as it refects badly on the department. Most of the modules are short and theory based except for E-Commerce programming but that's very interesting and you'll probably enjoy doing it. Half the class get a first class honours! There's a group project for the last 8-9 weeks before going on placement as well as a placement work shop! Both are good enough craic and not at all stressful.

4th year : This is a tail of two halves. You can get through the first term without doing a tap. There's very few CA but you have to produce a very substantial final year project which you should spend a few hours a week in the first term doing. I crammed it all into the 2nd term which isn't advisable. I can't give you much advise on modules here because they are all elective.

All and all I would reccommend it. It's a young industry so there will always be jobs when you come out the other end. You will build up a massive skill set unlike those in other faculties who just learn to memorises and plaguerise essays. Its a course where note taking is minimal and lecture attendance is not necessary, although it can help slightly. The lecturers keep a distance from the students, which I liked! To them you are only a number. You might think this is cold but I enjoyed this approach! That said if you had any questions they always had their office doors open. They seemed a bit unorganised at times but you would get over this. One or two lecturers were harsh and critical almost bitter but they always gave decent, predictable exams in the end!

Basically you'll get to drink, go clubbing, go to house parties, ride around etc and not have to worry about early mornings for the most of your time in Comp Sci. Just remember the assignments and tutorials and put in a solid enough study month and you'll be grand.

Hope this was helpfull!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

I've also pm'd you OP but the above poster is spot on :)

Finding out tomorrow if I passed 2nd year! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 shooterMac

I graduated a few years ago with a 1H and I do wish they did more .Net stuff, most of the jobs out there are .net based with sql a must.
    I started at a stock brokers at first and the learning curve was immense. I'm now working in another .net based development role and feel more comfortable.

Still I notice that the other colleges are a bit more practically minded than the universities, but saying that, employers still look to the unis first.
    I'm now programming silverlight in c# and find it pretty handy. I must say in my last year they dropped the security module and that was a loss also there wasn't enough programming based classes, mostly theory.

So what I'm saying is if you want to hit the ground running go with the cits if you want to sample different technologies, but master none then Uni is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

The 2nd post pretty much covers the course well.

I'm just posting to second what was said about 2nd year. Its THE year as far as CS goes. Pass that and you're (90% probability) gonna be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

graduated in 08 and currently working in Dublin as a Java application developer.

Would agree completely what 'ItsYourTime' said. 2nd year is probably the hardest as 1st year really is a joke, they try their best not to fail anyone. As a result alot in 2nd year really dont have clue how to apply any of the theory learned from 1st year and will end up failing.
    When I did it in 2004 I think the points where around 320~ as a result most of my class, which was around 120, where doing CS as it was their 4th or 5th cao choice and it showed. By christmas around 40 where gone and going into 2nd year there was about 60 left. Of that originial 120, id say 30-35 made it to 4th year (a lot of others joined along the way). But! like i said, this was mainly due to alot of people having no interest in CS and just doing it as the points where so low and wanted to go to UCC. As you are showing interest now I am going to assume you are interested in computers and programming, if so you will FLY through it.

Also another point, 1st year doesnt count for your over all degree. 2nd year is like 10% and 3rd is 15% the rest is 4th of which around 20% is from the final year project. So basicly that project is worth almost as much as 2nd and 3rd combined and as a result putting alot of work into it will give you that 1H :) i.e. dont do a web site...

When I did 4th year, computer security and AI where available, both very interesting and good topics to do a final year project in. I did mine on a middleware AI engine for a video game. Your choice of project plus supervisor could also greatly affect where you might go from the degree. As a friend of mine continued their project idea into a PhD, was also tempted myself but decided to work for a few years and as I got a Java programming job.

If your interested in having a look at what you will cover over the 4 years, wiki any of the topics I mention below, they are the main areas of the degree (when I did it):
    -Application Programming (Java as the primary language and some C. Focused on app developement, use of APIs, creation of GUIs. Programming basics, recursion, looping, multi-threading, ODBC, servlets, applets, JSP. Object oriented programming (classes, interfaces, objects), functional programming (in C) *nix apps )
    -Web Programming (Php, Javascript, xml (ajax), xslt and ofcourse html and css aswell)
    -Databases (SQL; only really covered mysql think oracle was mentioned)
    -A.I. (lots of logic, planning, recommender systems, agents, no killers robots unfortunately, though lego robots or some form of AI in a game is a common 4th year project idea)
    -Networking and middleware (networks, ethernet, HTTP, IP, TCP, ATM, LAN,WAN,internet, RMI,COBAL,security, client/server, alot covered here)
    -Data structures (Abstract data types, collections)
    -Project management and software engineering (more of the business side of programming, not fun really if you are more interested in the technical side but has to be done)
    -Maths (you only have a maths module in first year and its fairly basic but important. You will find as your programming progresses, maths is more and more important. Leaving Cert maths isnt really the same but if you are doing higher you will have no problem or even if you fly through pass it should all be ok. Algorithms plays a big part really and you will need to get very familiar with them, they are more modules that cover this in later years)
    -Computer systems/architecture (logic gates, boolean algebra, how a computer physicaly works basicly, CPU, RAM all of that. Would have prefered a more elec eng view and actually solder together a few ICs but instead this is all done at a theory level)
    -Multimedia (huffman codes, compression algorithms (mp3, mpeg, jpeg etc))

There is ALOT more and it constantly changes too, but I doubt you could do a CS degree and not cover most of those areas, just perhaps with some different technologies.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Have a look into CIT computer courses. Better all round content and better regarded by industry especially if you are doing CA or the DNET courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Marina-anseo2

"1st year really is a joke," Just finished first year and the course was changed to more practical work in comparison to the previous first year courses. It was recognised by the older years to have been a much harder first year than their own. If first year was all programming based we would have even less graduating then we currently have. People who have a general interest in computers entering the course need to get a chance to learn how to program, there is no previous experience requirement therefore having an easier first year makes perfect sense.
    "they try their best not to fail anyone." As regards trying their best not to fail anyone...perhaps the fail rate should be published because I find that statement to be incorrect. I know loads of people who failed and by as little as 3%.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

"1st year really is a joke," Just finished first year and the course was changed to more practical work in comparison to the previous first year courses. It was recognised by the older years to have been a much harder first year than their own.

I dont know about that, Im not 100% familiar with what you covered this year but it seemed a hell of a lot simpler than the first year we got last year. The highest level of programming was in PHP, which is a lot easier than Java. And did you have a whole module on graphic design and photoshop? Im not saying thats a bad thing (photoshop is a great skill to have and all) but if you ask me they did it because the failure rate was so high, they wanted to make it easier. Problem is though your year will have to also have an easier second year too and then the whole degree becomes devalued.
    "they try their best not to fail anyone." As regards trying their best not to fail anyone...perhaps the fail rate should be published because I find that statement to be incorrect. I know loads of people who failed and by as little as 3%.
    Our lecturers repeatedly hinted to us last year that if we had a high attendance rate over the year and were seen to put an effort in they'd cover us if we failed a subject by a few %.

samf wrote: »
    Our lecturers repeatedly hinted to us last year that if we had a high attendance rate over the year and were seen to put an effort in they'd cover us if we failed a subject by a few %.

I would agree with that, i passed two modules at 40% and 41%. Of course we can't be certain about this but my attendance for those subjects was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Ramey wrote: »
    I'm interested in Computer Science, and I'm just curious to how people doing CS are finding it?
    Graduated a few years back with a 2H1. The course really is a mixed bag. Some of the lecturers and courses really are top class, but others are useless and a waste of time. I went to one lecture in the entire year for one subject, and through a combination of cramming and waffle, got a 1H in that subject. In another subject, I attended all lectures, did all the labs, learned loads and just about passed it. Computer science is often like that.
    What topics do you cover?
    There's a lot more choice in it these days. If you want to go down a pure computer science route, you can do modules in AI, parallel computing, etc. There are also softer options like marketing and management if that's your cup of tea.
    Hows the maths?
    It was fine in my day, I hear it's even easier these days. If you do even an hour a week on your homeworks/assignments, you'll be fine.
    How fast do you progress throughout the programming modules?
    There are only two real "learning to program" modules. The one in first year teaches you basic structure, syntax and theory. The second year course focuses on object orientated programming. If you're working in industry, the object orientated programming course is the most important module in the whole programme.
    What are the other modules like in terms of complexity?
    Depends!
    Challenging course?
    If you want it to be. You can easily coast through the course on fluffy management/marketing/multimedia courses. If you want to tax yourself, yea, it's challenging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

The new building we're in is fantastic. It's a major upgrade in terms of facilities, so it's a good time to be in Computer Science. The labs should be streets ahead of the old ones, and the core infrastructure (server room, network etc) is a couple of generations ahead of the old stuff.

Computer Science is really a course you can make something out of.
    As people have said above, you can skate through on easy modules and get a nice high mark, or you can choose the more complicated ones, learn lots, have things to talk about in interviews and useful skills.

The most important thing I can say to you is:
    attend classes, attend labs and do the homework. You can pick up easy marks for the end of year exams, and there's nothing like going into an exam knowing you already have 16% or so (for example) and knowing you're already half way there. It's also a *very* good idea to be known to your lecturers as a conscientious student, who's been trying all year.
    If you turn up, do the labs and assignments you will not have a problem at the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

deRanged wrote: »
    It's also a *very* good idea to be known to your lecturers as a conscientious student, who's been trying all year.
    I definitely blagged myself a few %'s over the years doing that :D

Hanging with smart and conscientious friends also helps! If you're stuck on something, or need that push to stick around for a boring lab that's on late Friday evening, it can't hurt having that extra little push!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭104494431

deRanged wrote: »
    The new building we're in is fantastic. It's a major upgrade in terms of facilities, so it's a good time to be in Computer Science. The labs should be streets ahead of the old ones, and the core infrastructure (server room, network etc) is a couple of generations ahead of the old stuff.

Computer Science is really a course you can make something out of.
    As people have said above, you can skate through on easy modules and get a nice high mark, or you can choose the more complicated ones, learn lots, have things to talk about in interviews and useful skills.

The most important thing I can say to you is:
    attend classes, attend labs and do the homework. It's also a *very* good idea to be known to your lecturers as a conscientious student, who's been trying all year.
    If you turn up, do the labs and assignments you will not have a problem at the end of the year.

I think this is a decent summary of the course however it is not a good time to be in computer science to be perfectly honest. The IT industry is in trouble and has been for a long time and it's hard to find a job. It is a good time to be in college though as it beats worrying about your job security or in fact trying to find a job.

Computer science has had one of the lowest levels of funding in UCC for many years and it really showed when I did the course in 2004. Some of the lecturers are excellent and some are worthy of a slap they are so inept. I heard that they shook it up a bit and started actually trying to teach a decent degree so I respect that things have most likely changed since I was there.

Science courses in UCC have a lot of hours in comparison to many other courses in UCC, in my first year I believe I had over thirty hours a week of scheduled class/tutorials/labs etc and that's before I even took time to do assignments etc.

If you attend everything and stay up to date you cannot really fail. If you dont do this then you are in a bit of trouble. Computer science has one of the highest failure rates of any course in UCC (1st year as high as 70% when I started).

I have to add that any programmer I know speak highly and also speak more highly of CIT's software development degree, something well worth looking into. CIt has a history of teaching degrees with more work and practical orientated approaches than UCC high level of theoretical work. I have never gone to CIT so I can't say for myself, just said it'd be worth mentioning it.

Best of luck with your choice.

I'm entering final year in CS this year and if any noobs want to know anything about the course or college life feel free to PM me :)

Advertisement