Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Planning restrictions for verandas?

Options
  • 27-06-2015 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering what the planning restrictions are in relation to verandas. The particular situation I am looking at is an apartment with a veranda adjacent to a living room. I was thinking of extending the wall of the room outwards so that the external face of the building is also the wall of the living room, if that makes sense.

The only noticeable difference from the outside is that there would no longer be an opening, it would now be a window. Do you see any problem with doing this? It'd be nice to give an extra bit of living space to an otherwise area gone to waste.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Before you even think about planning you will need consent from management company. Read the terms of your lease agreement

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

You would need planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Before you even think about planning you will need consent from management company. Read the terms of your lease agreement

Good point. I will make contact and see what they say.
    DOCARCH wrote: »
    You would need planning permission.

Can you elaborate? I wouldn't be extending the property boundary and would have the same square footage of apartment. Is it because I would be putting in a window? What if I was to set it back a little so that the face of the building remains the same, but the existing living room wall/window is now closer to the building's edge?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

VonLuck wrote: »
    Can you elaborate? I wouldn't be extending the property boundary and would have the same square footage of apartment. Is it because I would be putting in a window? What if I was to set it back a little so that the face of the building remains the same, but the existing living room wall/window is now closer to the building's edge?

You are changing the exterior look of the building from what planning was approved for so yes you need planning.
    However I doubt you will get past the management rules unless it has been done already

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

You are changing the exterior look of the building from what planning was approved for so yes you need planning.

This is not always the case and shouldn't be taken as a rule.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

VonLuck wrote: »
    Can you elaborate?

Basically, there are no planning exemptions for apartments. Planning exemptions relate/apply to houses. So, any proposed external alteration to an apartment, basically, needs planning permission.

Also bear in mind that any internal (or external) alteration to an apartment must be considered in the context of the existing fire safety certificate. If you alter the layout of the apartment you may need to apply for a fire safety certificate for the alterations.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,981 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

chippers wrote: »
    This is not always the case and shouldn't be taken as a rule.

Its so vastly frequently applicable that it makes it the rule of thumb rather than the exception.

If in doubt, apply for a section 5

Advertisement