Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

USB Saorview receiver ($7.40 delivered)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Long story short, laptop & this doowhacky = Saorview TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Could you plug this into your tv(if you have a usb port) and it will work the same as a saorview box? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Could you plug this into your tv(if you have a usb port) and it will work the same as a saorview box? Thanks
    AFAIK, she wouldn't work I'm afraid. :(

These are purely tv tuners for Laptop/PC.

What you're looking for, if you didn't want to go down the set top box route, is this below
    http://www.adverts.ie/tv/digital-tv-adapter-stb-for-irish-digital-service-saorview/714023

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭board_stiff

How good is it at receiving a signal?

A set-top box would be connected to a large roof mounted aerial so I would be worried about getting a signal straight to a USB dongle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

How good is it at receiving a signal?

A set-top box would be connected to a large roof mounted aerial so I would be worried about getting a signal straight to a USB dongle.

Depends on how strong the signal is. I have one similar that I use in work from time to time and it works perfectly but I can't get any signal with it at home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

No.

A TV only has the USB drivers for mass storage devices, ie. disk drives.
    It doesn't have drivers to decode video signals sent via a USB device.

I got one of these alright.
    Initially I had a bit of trouble getting a signal, but with a bit of experimentation got it working.

When I did get it working it, the little magnetic aerial was attached to the metal part of a table and I tilted it 90 degrees/vertical, then tried rescanning the TV channels. Not sure if I needed to that that, but it took a few attempts.

I loan it to a mate in Portarlington and he could get the Saorview signal but only from one side of his house. So a saorview aeriel on the roof would be a more permanent solution.

A good question would be whether an Android tablet could receive the signal... that would be interesting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just took a punt at €5.78 !

Seemed too cheap to pass up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

is saorview not using DVB-T2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I have this exact same one. Bought about a year ago for 15 euro. Works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

They usually come with adapter to plug in regular aerial. STB Reception may work fine with the tiny aerial as reception is dependent on your local signal strength. My analog signal is appalling with proper aerial but my digital signal works fine with this tiny aerial.
    At least you can move around to find best signal.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭massiveattack

Long story short the supplied antenna is fine in a good strong signal area, however you might need an adaptor to connect it to your ariel mounted outside/in the attic.

It can receive saorview as it supports BDA drivers = install Divx/MPEG4 codec to receive saorview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

deaglan169 wrote: »
    is saorview not using DVB-T2

No, Saorview is DVB-T.

DVB-T2 is also backwards compatible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 147 ✭✭massiveattack

Long story short, laptop & this doowhacky = Saorview TV?

Yep, install a MPEG4 codec for free to receive saorview.

Il be honest, the remotes with these are usually shít but the hardware itself Ive no problems with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭doxy

I have one of these and it works pretty well, though I'm in a good signal area. The mini-aerial has a magnetic base, I find that if I place it on a metal surface I get a better signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Eldoco

you could put this in laptop and stream into a tv using the hdmi cable if you wanted instead paying more for tv connection

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

Does this work on Mac with Snow Leopard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Bought one of these a long time ago albeit at a dearer price, fantastic for receiving saorview as it supports BDA drivers

http://www.buyincoins.com/details/digital-tv-hdtv-dvb-t-usb-stick-dongle-tuner-recorder-receiver-product-70.html

Excuse my ignorance, but if I buy this, will I get all free to air TV Channels incl RTE on my PC?

I currently have UPC Digital TV with no aerials or saorview boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

you can get a few channels off aertv.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Yep, install a MPEG4 codec for free to receive saorview.

Il be honest, the remotes with these are usually shít but the hardware itself Ive no problems with

Will this work through Windows Media Center and would my media remote control allow me to select channels that way
    Also - will it do the fancy text for Saorview (I think thats done by the PC but I could be wrong)
    Will it get the RTE2 HD stuff?
    Can I watch one thing and record another with this?
    And finally - is it easy to get an adaptor for a regular aerial

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Have one of these from the last time these were in bargain Alerts..

Works grand on pc and on the dreambox..

Go for it, just get an adapter to connect it to the main aerial if you don't have a good reception!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

There isnt really a massive selection of stations to watch in fairness !

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭PressTheButton

breathn wrote: »
    Does this work on Mac with Snow Leopard?
    No, you'll need an 'Elgato' (or similar) - lots of versions but don't go for the 'Hybrid'. Thread on subject on Boards Terrrestrial forum HERE.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭PressTheButton

Comprehensive article on these USB DTT devices capable of receiving Saorview on your PC or Windows laptop by Boards tech expert Watty HERE.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

you will get RTE1, RTE1+1, RTE 2HD, TV3, TG4, 3e, RTE NEWS NOW, RTE Jr and radio stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dudcastle

Bought one of these a long time ago albeit at a dearer price, fantastic for receiving saorview as it supports BDA drivers

http://www.buyincoins.com/details/digital-tv-hdtv-dvb-t-usb-stick-dongle-tuner-recorder-receiver-product-70.html

Euro Price €5.78

What are BDA drivers - will this dongle work with my laptop USB

thanks a mill
    dud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dudcastle

Euro Price €5.78
    can you tell me what BDA drivers means by any chance - would the saorview dongle work with my laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Anyone else having trouble buying one of these, keep getting an error when i add to basket????????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭davehey79

the whole site is locked up on me !! think ill give it a go later

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Failed in firefox
    worked in Safari

on mac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Ya i cant add it to my cart :(

Advertisement