Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Deise Tom wrote: »
    For an intercounty Twitter site you do need man power. You need to have their laptop or what ever at games across the county hitting in info every few minutes. If you had games say at Walsh park, Fraher Field, Cappoquin, Lemybrien and one or two other venues going on at the same time it is a lot of work for the one person to try and gather it all and then put it up in a short space of time. If you have a few people as they do i believe in Cork, they all could have the pass word, be logged in and hitting in the info at whatever game they are at and people would be gettiing updates as they happen etc. For an inter county game you need the one person who can do it from the stand, press box, side line or where ever.

You don't necessarily need up-to-minute latest scores from every club fixture though. It would be madness to think they could achieve something like that. But for general news, end-of-match results and team announcements it's absolutely workable with just one person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Daysha wrote: »
    You don't necessarily need up-to-minute latest scores from every club fixture though. It would be madness to think they could achieve something like that. But for general news, end-of-match results and team announcements it's absolutely workable with just one person.

County team news or club teams?

Probably is like if you have someone at the games with a phone letting the person running the twitter page now how it's going, but the end of match results for games tend to be updated reasonably quickly on the website.

One thing a twitter page could achieve would be to communicate thing like when we'd know the fixtures for the club games and stuff like that to the general public.

County team news or club teams?

Probably is like if you have someone at the games with a phone letting the person running the twitter page now how it's going, but the end of match results for games tend to be updated reasonably quickly on the website.

One thing a twitter page could achieve would be to communicate thing like when we'd know the fixtures for the club games and stuff like that to the general public.

Club team news would be tricky to manage, but obviously you'd do as much as you can when the championships reach the knock-out stages. County info would probably take priority though.

Anyway, did anyone see the Indo today speculating that Denis Walsh is being linked with the Waterford job? I'm going to hope it's just lazy journalism. Something added 2+2 together and got 35...I'd rather Davy stay on then let Walsh near the job.

Club team news would be tricky to manage, but obviously you'd do as much as you can when the championships reach the knock-out stages. County info would probably take priority though.

Anyway, did anyone see the Indo today speculating that Denis Walsh is being linked with the Waterford job? I'm going to hope it's just lazy journalism. Something added 2+2 together and got 35...I'd rather Davy stay on then let Walsh near the job.

There's been a lot of lazy journalism this year and I can't see it being anything but that. It wouldn't make sense, why would we want Denis Walsh?

Next manager will be an insider, of that I'm almost sure, and Michael Ryan is probably in pole position with Kevin Ryan and Hartley also in contention. If Nicky Cashin were to emerge as a contender it would be out of the blue because he's been pretty quiet on the hurling front for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

How does Nicky Cashin's name continually get mentioned on this forum!? Does not have the credentials for this job, and isn't active at a high level. At least people like Kevin Ryan, Bonner, Michael Ryan etc are out and about with lower tier counties and clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

hardybuck wrote: »
    How does Nicky Cashin's name continually get mentioned on this forum!? Does not have the credentials for this job, and isn't active at a high level. At least people like Kevin Ryan, Bonner, Michael Ryan etc are out and about with lower tier counties and clubs.

Because a person isn't active with a team i would not rule them out. The most important thing is that we get the right person. If you are able to coach you will be able to come in and do a job and like wise if you are able to manage. These are not things you loose over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Because a person isn't active with a team i would not rule them out. The most important thing is that we get the right person. If you are able to coach you will be able to come in and do a job and like wise if you are able to manage. These are not things you loose over night.

Yes, but what if you didn't have anything to lose in the first place!? That point might be valid if you used it with the name Jimmy Barry Murphy rather than Nicky Cashin.

He didn't do much before in fairness, and don't mention winning a schools title with an unreal St.Kieran's team. If thats the credentials we're looking for then we may as well install Derek McGrath and Dermot Dooley...!

hardybuck wrote: »
    Yes, but what if you didn't have anything to lose in the first place!? That point might be valid if you used it with the name Jimmy Barry Murphy rather than Nicky Cashin.

He didn't do much before in fairness, and don't mention winning a schools title with an unreal St.Kieran's team. If thats the credentials we're looking for then we may as well install Derek McGrath and Dermot Dooley...!

Waterford native, so from that point of view he could be considered a candidate. I wouldn't, but I was just listing potential inside managers.

Don't think he will be, his name wasn't mentioned last year as an interested candidate.

I don't know of many others that would be considered. Stephen Frampton's name was mentioned, don't really know why. I really hope Shane Ahearne and Jim Greene aren't considered, and I don't think Chuck has done enough yet. Also, I wouldn't have Fergal Hartley as Manager, but would consider himself and Chuck as selectors and both to retain the underage managerial roles they held this year.

Waterford native, so from that point of view he could be considered a candidate. I wouldn't, but I was just listing potential inside managers.

Don't think he will be, his name wasn't mentioned last year as an interested candidate.

I don't know of many others that would be considered. Stephen Frampton's name was mentioned, don't really know why. I really hope Shane Ahearne and Jim Greene aren't considered, and I don't think Chuck has done enough yet. Also, I wouldn't have Fergal Hartley as Manager, but would consider himself and Chuck as selectors and both to retain the underage managerial roles they held this year.

I am sure that the name of Jimmy Meaney will also be coming up but dont think he has done enough yet either. Ok he managed a very good minor team but there is a step up to senior.

I am sure that the name of Jimmy Meaney will also be coming up but dont think he has done enough yet either. Ok he managed a very good minor team but there is a step up to senior.

Yeah but some would say he didn't help them deliver on there full potential. Not sure myself.

• Advertisement

I posted a new blog (link in sig) about some of the candidates, some far more likely than others, if you want to take a look.

It was only when I was looking into it did I realise how much experience Kevin Ryan has got in the last 10-12 years. Managed Mount Sion, Oulart and Carlow with relative success with all 3 teams, on top of his 3 years as a selector with Justin. It's funny because when you mention home-grown candidates everybody mentions Michael Ryan straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Good, interesting piece Daysha. Seems it'll be between Davy, Hartley (although I agree that a few more years coaching under the belt would do no harm first), Kevin Ryan and maybe Michael Ryan IMO.

Just have a feeling they'll go with Davy again though! When will a decision be announced? September county board meeting?

Cake Man wrote: »
    When will a decision be announced? September county board meeting?

It's still unclear how they're going to go about it, but they should treat Davy just like any other candidate. If he wants to continue on let him put his name forward, but also invite others to do so as well.

We definitely won't have it all decided by the next board meet though, it'll be a few weeks after that at least.

I posted a new blog (link in sig) about some of the candidates, some far more likely than others, if you want to take a look.

It was only when I was looking into it did I realise how much experience Kevin Ryan has got in the last 10-12 years. Managed Mount Sion, Oulart and Carlow with relative success with all 3 teams, on top of his 3 years as a selector with Justin. It's funny because when you mention home-grown candidates everybody mentions Michael Ryan straight away.

:confused: Don't remember that?
    It's still unclear how they're going to go about it, but they should treat Davy just like any other candidate. If he wants to continue on let him put his name forward, but also invite others to do so as well.

We definitely won't have it all decided by the next board meet though, it'll be a few weeks after that at least.

So unlike last year when he got clear favouritism.

:confused: Don't remember that?

Yup, was there from 04-06 alongside Nicky Cashin and Seamie Hannon.

Trying to think of the answer to this but cant. Who was the last manager of the Waterford hurlers that wanted to be re-appointed but was not.

Yup, was there from 04-06 alongside Nicky Cashin and Seamie Hannon.

Really? Jesus I just don't remember him at all.

I really don't know much about him I must concede aside from the Carlow exploits. Was Jim Greene in charge though when Carlow won their first Christy Ring cup? I thought I remember seeing him on the Sunday Game being interviewed afterwards. Would make Kevin Ryan's achievements with them look less amazing.

To be honest, I wouldn't like the job of picking the new manager.

Michael Ryan has done well, and I don't think he'd bring any club bias to the table. One concern I'd have is I think DLS were playing with a two man full forward line last year, I just don't like it. Tipp don't do it, Kilkenny don't do it. I think it should be a sign to teams that it's not the way to go.

And I don't care what people say about the players at their diposal, if playing defensive was the best way to win they'd do it.

Trying to think of the answer to this but cant. Who was the last manager of the Waterford hurlers that wanted to be re-appointed but was not.

I believe the situation in either 2005 or 2006 (or both) was that the players actually got Justin re-appointed. They wanted him there. Can't see the same this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I enjoyed that Daysha.

I'd like to see either Michael Ryan or Kevin Ryan get the job myself, though Liam Dunne is an extremely intriguing prospect though as well and one I hadn't thought of before. I've heard great stories about the professionalism he has brought to the Oulart set up and he has them head and houlders above any other club in Wexford at the moment. I suspect the vacant Wexford job might be of interest to him though.

flahavaj wrote: »
    I enjoyed that Daysha.

I'd like to see either Michael Ryan or Kevin Ryan get the job myself, though Liam Dunne is an extremely intriguing prospect though as well and one I hadn't thought of before. I've heard great stories about the professionalism he has brought to the Oulart set up and he has them head and houlders above any other club in Wexford at the moment. I suspect the vacant Wexford job might be of interest to him though.

Don't think Dunne will take the Waterford job. And he said brick wasn't a centre back. Think he got that one wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Don't think Dunne will take the Waterford job. And he said brick wasn't a centre back. Think he got that one wrong.

I don't think any of us realised how good he'd be there until he played there in fairness.

I do agree he's unlikely to take the job but you never know. Who would've thought a Waterford man would end up managing their footballers to great success!

flahavaj wrote: »
    I don't think any of us realised how good he'd be there until he played there in fairness.

I do agree he's unlikely to take the job but you never know. Who would've thought a Waterford man would end up managing their footballers to great success!

Well this was in an article in 2009, I think before the Galway game or afterwards not sure. He did say Ringo wasn't a full back, and was right about that.

He wrote Waterford off a fair bit and to me seems like somebody who doesn't think we can win an all-ireland. He might be right, I don't agree. And I think managers from Waterford would believe the same. Maybe it's bias, but we need a manager who believes we can win an all-ireland, and not someone with so-called 'realistic expectations', you're going nowhere with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Imho we need a waterford man in charge,why pay out silly money to a manager who doesnt know nothing about what talent is coming through the under age grades through out the county.The problem however is who is the most suitable candidate? unfortunately i dont think we have one that really sticks out. We are meant to be a top 4 hurling county now an i think this is down to the simple fact we got our under age structure working more efficiently the last few years, and yes previous managers have helped bring us on leaps an bounds there's no denying that, but i just think outsiders have taken us as far as possible,and i dont think the job would appeal to many top rated coaches from around ireland, again this is just my opinion. I think we need fresh faces that know what's coming through the county set up. I'd like to see a back room set up along the lines of Derek McGrath,Michael Ryan, and maybe Chuck and Hartley those 4 fella's know our county inside out but who do we make the manager is a tough one. I think if we had these fella's or similar to them in place for 3-5 years we'd make great progress.Some stability is what we need an passion, this breeds success Up The Deise.. PLEASE UNDERSTAND THIS IS JUST MY OPINION...................

The Tony Forristal team drew their opening game against KK 1-6 to 0-9. Poor performance and we did well to come away with a draw as it was all KK after a good start from us.
    Tipp beat Wexford in the first group game and we have Tipp next in a must win game if we are to top the group and get into tomorrow’s final.

Is it true that the team was all over the place, no where near the numbers the players were given for the programme. If it is, its a shame and the management shows no respect for those that went to the trouble of putting together a programme, which is usually a very good production.

That is true Tom, numbers all over the place but in fairness this is the case with all teams I've seen today (Wex, Tipp, Wat and KK) and I always remember this being the case in this competition down the years. You'd see a young fella wearing number 2 playing full forward, a number 23 playing wing back etc etc. I think it's just the nature of the competition tbh and at this age grade, I think most players can be just thrown in any given position really.

yes the numbers were all over the place some players wearing completely different numbers to what the programme stated,The B team got beaten by limerick in their first game.. both teams A & B are playing at 3.20pm in must win games

Tony Forristal team for anyone interested. Apologies if names don't match numbers etc., just copied as per program.:

1. Jordan Henly (Cois Brid)
    2. Darragh Lynch (Passage) best player on team IMO, played midfield
    3. David Cullinane (Ballygunner)
    4. Adam Flynn (Lismore)
    5. Carthach Barry (Brickey Rangers)
    6. Michael Roche (DLS)
    7. Jake Beecher (Cois Brid)
    8. Kelvin O'Farrell (Cois Brid)
    9. Daragh Lyons (Dungarvan)
    10. Aidan Kirwan (Dungarvan)
    11. Sean Irish (Roanmore)
    12. Peter Hogan (Ballygunner)
    13. Eoin Kiely (Abbeyside)
    14. Aaron O'Sullivan (Cappoquin)
    15. Andy Molumpy (Cappoquin)
    16. Sean O'Sullivan (Ballygunner)
    17. Adam Roche (Passage)
    18. Calum Lyons (Bduff Lower)
    19. Todd Loughnane (Ballygunner)
    20. Ryan Flanagan (Mt Sion)
    21. Gary Cullinane (Passage)
    22. Shane Rellis (Tramore)
    23. Jack Laffan (DLS)
    24. Gus Flynn (Ballygunner)

Michael Roche was number 7, Sean Irish was number 10 if i'm not wrong, Jack Laffan was 24, think Gus Flynn was 23 thats all i could see god knows who else, it's a bit wrong to do that to people who want to watch out for upcoming talent in our county

• Advertisement

Cake Man wrote: »
    That is true Tom, numbers all over the place but in fairness this is the case with all teams I've seen today (Wex, Tipp, Wat and KK) and I always remember this being the case in this competition down the years. You'd see a young fella wearing number 2 playing full forward, a number 23 playing wing back etc etc. I think it's just the nature of the competition tbh and at this age grade, I think most players can be just thrown in any given position really.

I would not mind where they play ie number 2 as you say playing full forward etc so long as they wear the numbers given to them. This is a squad game tournament etc. If players are not wearing the numbers given to him it makes it harder to identify the player that impresses and you could say in the years ahead I saw him play Tony Forristal in 2011 or what ever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement