Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Plastic Wrap to Protect New Windows

• 01-05-2014 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

I'm getting new windows installed next week and was told there's a plastic wrap desingned specifically to attach and protect them.

This can be cut to size and stuck on both inside and outside to protect the windows during the build.

If anyone knows the name of it or suggest where I can buy can you please PM me? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

When I got my windows installed this protective film was already in place at no extra cost. You should ask your supplier to have it done before they deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

db wrote: »
    When I got my windows installed this protective film was already in place at no extra cost. You should ask your supplier to have it done before they deliver.

Agree - how will they protect them in transit without this !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

I rang the supplier and they said the windows don't come with any plastic covering - I'm sure they have some sort of protection in transit though.

The supplier said they have a blue coloured protective plastic but it darkens the rooms too much. They suggested using clear 'hardwood covering'. A merchant in Enniskillen supply it so will look into.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

clear hardwood covering? Erm....maybe its just me but when I saw that I started thinking of skirting board ladders and sky hooks....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Window tinting firms do clear films for safety and security. Might be a bit expensive for your needs though.

• Advertisement

This stuff is what I'm looking for but not sure it can be got in Ireland?

Alternatively there's this stuff.

Will price around and see what's best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

I think you are being a little too precious - our ali clad had a plastic wrap on it outside and inside we have painted timber which we touched up where there was a knock as part of the painting phase of the project

one pane did get scratched and the builder said he would replace but we never went through with this because the frames where completed in the factory and you would never get such a good finish on site.

you don't notice it after a little while any way

fclauson wrote: »
    I think you are being a little too precious - our ali clad had a plastic wrap on it outside and inside we have painted timber which we touched up where there was a knock as part of the painting phase of the project

one pane did get scratched and the builder said he would replace but we never went through with this because the frames where completed in the factory and you would never get such a good finish on site.

you don't notice it after a little while any way

Perhaps but I checked with the window supplier and there's absolutely no wrapping whatsoever. Anyway I'll see how much it will cost and take it from there. If nothing else it might save a lot of cleaning ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

I picked up a cling wrap in the local paint store. €30 does about 90sqm so 2 rolls for the avg house. Usually used for painting but should protect the windows throughout the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 amandasphi

You should try shoji window screen as it provides you Asian look and keep the home at peace, while protecting your window.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,978 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

clear hardwood covering? Erm....maybe its just me but when I saw that I started thinking of skirting board ladders and sky hooks....

Never diss sky hooks, the most used tool by architecture students ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Never diss sky hooks, the most used tool by architecture students ;)

Those...and glass hammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

Snip

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

Snip

My friend suggested taping polythene wrap so will try that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

BarneyMc wrote: »
    My friend suggested polythene wrap so will try that.

I wouldnt be too worried about covering the windows . When its all finished you will have to spend time peeling off the plastic and giving them a good sparkle anyhow . I would prefer to spend the time or money getting the windows cleaned properly when the build is over .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

I found that the plastic cover protected the windows from plaster splashes that otherwise would have had to be scraped off. The plastic peeled off very easily as I was removing the tape covering on the frames and the windows just needed a quick wipe to clean them. Saved quite a bit of work with 24 windows including two large bay windows and 2 patio doors.

db wrote: »
    I found that the plastic cover protected the windows from plaster splashes that otherwise would have had to be scraped off. The plastic peeled off very easily as I was removing the tape covering on the frames and the windows just needed a quick wipe to clean them. Saved quite a bit of work with 24 windows including two large bay windows and 2 patio doors.

Its not too bad if the plastic comes off easily, but I've come across plastic that can be leave the glue on the glass and its a nightmare to get that off .
    I'm a plasterer myself and hate the plastic being left on the frames for working into . I prefer to be able to plaster right onto the frame and not to have someone cutting into it after with a blade to take off the plaster .
    There should be no plaster splashes left on glass or anywhere that need scraping off afterwards . Plenty of clean water when they are working around the windows should leave everything good and clean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

after viewing 3 different houses in the last 2 weeks to look at windows that were just recently installed I certainly will be covering mine to protect them from plaster etc.. all 3 had windows that were damaged with marks and dents. these are timbers windows im talking about so guess pvc wouldnt be as easily marked

fifib wrote: »
    after viewing 3 different houses in the last 2 weeks to look at windows that were just recently installed I certainly will be covering mine to protect them from plaster etc.. all 3 had windows that were damaged with marks and dents. these are timbers windows im talking about so guess pvc wouldnt be as easily marked

The timber ones can stain on the frames alright . Is it galway you are looking at windows ? Who are doing good timber windows around ?

• Advertisement

fifib wrote: »

Would you suggest protecting the outside only or inside also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Did anyone come up with a decent material to protect the frames?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

I'm planning on investing in some stuff like this. Maybe not this brand, but have been told by someone that used it previously that it was very good.

Will use inside and outside on windows. Was also thinking of spraying on polished concrete floor when its been ground down.

http://protec.designwithsense.co.uk/products/peelgard-glass-protection-spray/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj6sDwDr_iM

Its seems pretty pricey, but looks like it will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭braftery

Why accept the plasterer allowing plaster to splash all over the place and not clean up after themselves ?

Perhaps it might be a more cost effective solution to simply inform the follow on trades that any plaster or dirt left on the window frames, or any damage to the frame caused by them will have to be paid for by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

braftery wrote: »
    Why accept the plasterer allowing plaster to splash all over the place and not clean up after themselves ?

Perhaps it might be a more cost effective solution to simply inform the follow on trades that any plaster or dirt left on the window frames, or any damage to the frame caused by them will have to be paid for by them.

..was a client meeting where this very subject came up, this a.m.

window company advising against plastic as, if left too long, can be very difficult to remove.

As for your comment about plasterers cleaning: even where they do, it's with a sponge or brush.......dipped in water...........in a bucket that held plaster.......so in other words, dirty water.

You can inform them all you want, and they should take care, but that won't stop things happening - such is life.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    As for your comment about plasterers cleaning: even where they do, it's with a sponge or brush.......dipped in water...........in a bucket that held plaster.......so in other words, dirty water.

Nothing that a second clean bucket, a second sponge, a tap and a willingness to clean up after themselves cant solve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

Mine wash down the windows and cills each evening. They then sweep/rake up the mortar that drops on the ground. Can't fault them in any way.

Their of the opinion that if you get a name for been messy you won't get work.

My stone masons on the other hand seem to put on the last mix in the evening just so it can be thrown all over the place. Needless to say even though their work is good they won't be getting a recommendation from me for future work in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

... and a willingness to clean up after themselves cant solve.

I put plastic on my windows before plastering. Plasterer told me straight-up that he prefers to see it used, as he doesn't have to be as tidy. But the plastic will peel in places from the likes of alu frames if you have them, and it's a given that plaster will lodge there. A spray of water would get rid of it, but again, the tradesman has to be willing.

I put plastic on my windows before plastering. Plasterer told me straight-up that he prefers to see it used, as he doesn't have to be as tidy.

Additional expense for the client, so the tradesman can be sloppy. Isnt there something wrong with this scenario ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

My windows came wrapped and I'm surprised to hear it's not standard practice among all window suppliers

Advertisement