Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Temporary Driveway/Car Parking

• 29-06-2015 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭

We're looking at digging up part of the front garden to use for parking the car. The current driveway is paved but only big enough to hold one car so we need space for the second.

The area is 50m2 or less I think and really we only want to put something down to get us over the hump and do for a couple of years. It was recommended to us to just put hardcore down and compact it. That should do us for a while until we can get it all paved. Sounds good to us as it's very cheap.

Is this a viable solution?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

SachaJ wrote: »
    We're looking at digging up part of the front garden to use for parking the car. The current driveway is paved but only big enough to hold one car so we need space for the second.

The area is 50m2 or less I think and really we only want to put something down to get us over the hump and do for a couple of years. It was recommended to us to just put hardcore down and compact it. That should do us for a while until we can get it all paved. Sounds good to us as it's very cheap.

Is this a viable solution?

What does your planning permission allow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭SachaJ

kceire wrote: »
    What does your planning permission allow?

Do I need planning permission even though I'm not touching the entrance to the road?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

SachaJ wrote: »
    Do I need planning permission even though I'm not touching the entrance to the road?

It depends. There is a % of hard standing that you are allowed. But it may depends on LA.

in Dublin it's restrictive due to the amount of people that just concrete over the gardens and destroy surface water sinkage.

We operate with the SUDS system.
    Might be no harm throwing a call to you local LA to confirm if planning is a required or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭SachaJ

kceire wrote: »
    It depends. There is a % of hard standing that you are allowed. But it may depends on LA.

in Dublin it's restrictive due to the amount of people that just concrete over the gardens and destroy surface water sinkage.

We operate with the SUDS system.
    Might be no harm throwing a call to you local LA to confirm if planning is a required or not.

Thanks for that. As it stands I probably have 150m2 of non driveway so only want to take a portion of that. I'm in Louth so I'll look into it

Advertisement