Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General and Quick-Fire Questions

• 12-10-2010 11:20pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This thread is for quick-fire questions and answers or for questions which dont fall under the broad headings of the other threads.

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

The government seems to have quietly set aside the whole issue of reforming finance in politics, and I note that despite the odd call for it nothing concrete has happened.

You said in July that the GP would go to the people if the legislation to reform campaign finance wasn't enacted by the end of the year. Will the legislation be in place by then? If not, will you really pull out of government? And if it is, will the reforms be in place and law by the time of the earliest likely general election, say Spring 2011?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Given the government's revenue shortfalls, the European economics commissioner has signaled that Ireland might need to reconsider its low corporate tax rate. The American Chamber of Commerce in Ireland has vehemently protested.

Do you think that the corporate tax rate should be increased? If so, to what level? If not, why?

In addition, the debate over the corporate tax rate touches on many of the pre-Lisbon treaty concerns in Ireland over national sovereignty, particularly when it comes to fiscal policy.

Do you think the actions of the government have put Ireland's economic sovereignty at risk? Is 'economic sovereignty' even a viable concept in Ireland, given the country's reliance on foreign investment and (increasingly) the European Central Bank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Company Representative Posts: 115 Verified rep PaulGogartyTD

Nijmegen wrote: »
    The government seems to have quietly set aside the whole issue of reforming finance in politics, and I note that despite the odd call for it nothing concrete has happened.

You said in July that the GP would go to the people if the legislation to reform campaign finance wasn't enacted by the end of the year. Will the legislation be in place by then? If not, will you really pull out of government? And if it is, will the reforms be in place and law by the time of the earliest likely general election, say Spring 2011?

The Government hasn't set aside the issue of reforming funding of political parties and specifically corporate donations. It is still in place to be introduced. The delay has not come from Fianna Fail stone-walling, but rather from delays within the drafting process. A lot of legislation is going through John Gormley's department and it is taking time. In my view too much time. I would gladly delay the Dublin Mayor legislation to allow the corporate donations legislation to be front loaded. But this isn't going to happen because the corporate donations stuff is not going to be ready for a while yet, while the Mayoralty stuff is just about ready.

There was another issue in that the Attorney General apparently raised issues relating to what the exact definition of a "corporate donation" is. But this was not the substantive issue and should not and will not stop amending legislation being introduced.

If Fianna Fail go back on promises made on the policy front, and assuming the budget is tough but as fair as can be, then the Green Party would do its duty by the country and pass the budget but we would clearly see no reason for staying any longer after that time if we were being messed around.

But as it stands we aren't being messed around. Not to say it won't be tried though.

Given the government's revenue shortfalls, the European economics commissioner has signaled that Ireland might need to reconsider its low corporate tax rate. The American Chamber of Commerce in Ireland has vehemently protested.

Do you think that the corporate tax rate should be increased? If so, to what level? If not, why?

In addition, the debate over the corporate tax rate touches on many of the pre-Lisbon treaty concerns in Ireland over national sovereignty, particularly when it comes to fiscal policy.

Do you think the actions of the government have put Ireland's economic sovereignty at risk? Is 'economic sovereignty' even a viable concept in Ireland, given the country's reliance on foreign investment and (increasingly) the European Central Bank?

The Green Party had originally as part of its policy suggested that a small increase in corporation tax would not affect our competitiveness but would ensure that corporations would pay a fairer share. This was not agreed in the Programme for Government and as such we support current Government policy to leave as is. It is one of the few remaining USP's we have.

There may be pressure to change, but there is no obligation. And I think it is cheeky of the Germans to poo poo our low rate of corporation tax when they assist companies through other measures.

As regards economic sovereignty, I think the greater influence on that is our membership of the euro as opposed to the passing of Lisbon. That said I think we would be made to leave the eurozone, even with the limitations it puts on domestic monetary policy.

The issue of what sovereignty remains is dealt with in a separate discussion (patriotic duty) in terms of what controls we have now versus what we would have if the IMF came in.

• Advertisement

The 15 members of Government make the real decisions. The Dail is too often a rubber stamping exercise. Sometimes this is a necessity, but real debate and influence is curtailed excessively.

A Government cannot provide full information on every occasion as some of it is confidential and cannot risk being leaked. At the same time the system of parliamentary questions and questions to the Taoiseach does allow for information to be released.

I would prefer more quick fire questioning as with the UK parliament, however.

Regarding reforms, I would like to see certain votes to be whip free. This would give the Dail a lot more leeway to be truly representative of the people. It should sit more often, especially on Fridays, with more family friendly hours and greater opportunities to raise topical issues early in the day.

This ties in with electoral reform, which is to be looked at under the PfG. If we had single seat PR, for example, with a top up list based on vote performance by parties and individuals nationally, you would have a more representative Dail focused on legislation and national issues rather than clientist and local issues.

There is an expectation as a TD that I work on local issues, and am happy to do so, but if that role was curtailed I think you would find many representatives would be liberated to do more creative, long term work.

The Government hasn't set aside the issue of reforming funding of political parties and specifically corporate donations. It is still in place to be introduced. The delay has not come from Fianna Fail stone-walling, but rather from delays within the drafting process. A lot of legislation is going through John Gormley's department and it is taking time. In my view too much time. I would gladly delay the Dublin Mayor legislation to allow the corporate donations legislation to be front loaded. But this isn't going to happen because the corporate donations stuff is not going to be ready for a while yet, while the Mayoralty stuff is just about ready.

There was another issue in that the Attorney General apparently raised issues relating to what the exact definition of a "corporate donation" is. But this was not the substantive issue and should not and will not stop amending legislation being introduced.

If Fianna Fail go back on promises made on the policy front, and assuming the budget is tough but as fair as can be, then the Green Party would do its duty by the country and pass the budget but we would clearly see no reason for staying any longer after that time if we were being messed around.

But as it stands we aren't being messed around. Not to say it won't be tried though.
    Thank you for that answer Paul, it is genuinely insightful. If I could ask a follow on before putting the issue to bed:

Does Minister Gormley expect to have the relevant legislation ready to go to the Oireachtas by the end of the year? And if I could clarify, would such legislation take force by the time of the coming election?

Next question:

You seem to be of the view that the Green Party is in at this stage to pass the budget, to do your duty as you term it. After the budget is their an increased likelyhood of the Green party pulling the plug? Is there a feeling in the party to want to get out of government with Fianna Fail and call an election?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Paul this is a question more so as a TD than a Green Party TD.

As a member of the national Parliament do you feel you and your colleagues are impeded by the expectations of your local constituents and are dragged into the realms and responsibilities of councillors? What changes do you feel are necessary so we can ensure our National Representatives are allowed to concentrate on facing national issues and planning for the future even when it may be at the detriment of their local constituents but in the overall national good?

I looked at your website last night and 8 of the 10 stories were about issues that I would class as local government and not national issues. To be fair I have just got a newsletter from Conor Lenihan this morning in the normal daily junk mail drop and everything in that could be classified as local issues as well.

Personally I believe the time has come to implement a list system in this country for the National Parliament. Is this something you could support or you would feel the Green Party could support?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

There are so many empty council houses around why aren't these offered to rent to people currently receiving Rental Supplement - surely that would save a few euro.

Secondly I understand that the CWO's are due to come back under the social welfare umbrella - at the moment the phones aren't being answered in the local sw offices, the dole queues are long (one employee operating the sign on hatch) - how is this going to help people who need urgent financial assistance. As it is people are waiting for weeks for the "dole" to come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Question posted by nesf

Q: Why is this Government, who are doomed to be voted out in the next election, not using this opportunity to do a root and branch reworking of the public service and correct the deep inefficiencies that plague the institution. They've nothing to lose, they can afford to take very unpopular yet necessary actions.

• Advertisement

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Thank you for that answer Paul, it is genuinely insightful. If I could ask a follow on before putting the issue to bed:

Does Minister Gormley expect to have the relevant legislation ready to go to the Oireachtas by the end of the year? And if I could clarify, would such legislation take force by the time of the coming election?

Next question:

You seem to be of the view that the Green Party is in at this stage to pass the budget, to do your duty as you term it. After the budget is their an increased likelyhood of the Green party pulling the plug? Is there a feeling in the party to want to get out of government with Fianna Fail and call an election?

Let's just say that the parliamentary party is putting pressure on the Minister to hurry up with the legislation. I would rather know if FF intend to block it sooner rather than later. John has indicated he will go as fast as he can.

There are other issues we want to progress, so if we can and we are achieving, we will stay in for a while longer. These include issues such as appointments to public bodies and electoral reform.

In terms of whether the corporate donations will be in place to impact on the next election, the honest answer is I don't know.

bijapos wrote: »
    Question posted by nesf

Q: Why is this Government, who are doomed to be voted out in the next election, not using this opportunity to do a root and branch reworking of the public service and correct the deep inefficiencies that plague the institution. They've nothing to lose, they can afford to take very unpopular yet necessary actions.

I would agree and would have thought that the Croke Park Agreement was at least a step in the right direction. However while some areas are making progress, eg the INTO are already working with schools to add extra hours into the system, there seems to be confusion as to what movement if any is taking place overall. The unions are blaming management but ultimately the buck stops with Government if it isn't implemented.

The funny thing is that if Croke Park doesn't get implemented fully, then next year could see reforms being imposed. It would be ironic if these were implemented by a Labour Party minister in Government.

gandalf wrote: »
    Paul this is a question more so as a TD than a Green Party TD.

As a member of the national Parliament do you feel you and your colleagues are impeded by the expectations of your local constituents and are dragged into the realms and responsibilities of councillors? What changes do you feel are necessary so we can ensure our National Representatives are allowed to concentrate on facing national issues and planning for the future even when it may be at the detriment of their local constituents but in the overall national good?

I looked at your website last night and 8 of the 10 stories were about issues that I would class as local government and not national issues. To be fair I have just got a newsletter from Conor Lenihan this morning in the normal daily junk mail drop and everything in that could be classified as local issues as well.

Personally I believe the time has come to implement a list system in this country for the National Parliament. Is this something you could support or you would feel the Green Party could support?

I agree, a certain type of list system. See my reply to Donegal

Do you expect the Green Party to have any deputies returned to the Dail after the coming election?

What are your plans, and the party plans in general, for life after what looks to be a worse-than-PD style drubbing to come?

Do you feel that a smaller party in government gets an unfair portion of the blame come election time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

As regards economic sovereignty, I think the greater influence on that is our membership of the euro as opposed to the passing of Lisbon. That said I think we would be made to leave the eurozone, even with the limitations it puts on domestic monetary policy.

On the issue of the euro zone, do you think Ireland opting out (or being shoved out) is a real possibility in the next 2-3 years? Certainly there are voices in some quarters - David McWilliams for one - who have called for Ireland to bite the bullet and dump the euro. If Ireland does stay in the euro zone, how can it regain competitiveness without a process of 'long, slow, grinding deflation'?

Speaking of which, seaniedearg noted in the questions thread that in today's Indo column McWilliams called for some kind of debt forgiveness in Ireland, 'both personal and institutional'. Would you be in favor of some kind of debt forgiveness program, or at a minimum, a change in Irish bankruptcy law that would make it easier for both families and businesses to pick up the pieces again after financial disaster?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I will say this on the topic of the Greens getting it worse than FF.

Its one of the few areas that I DO feel sorry for the greens. Its like "we didnt expect anything but corruption and brown envelopes from FF but we held the Greens up to higher standards.... so, even though they may not have been *as bad* as FF, they were relatively worse then our expectations."

Basically we feel proportionately MORE let down by the Greens even though I would contend that they werent as culpable as FF. We just didnt expect anything different from FF.

I wouldnt absolve the Greens for NOT blowing the whistle or having more backbone but I think the lions share of the blame should be laid at the FF door.

When you think about it, the Greens are unlikely to return a TD next election... while we are almost certain to get several FF deputies. That seems wrong to me.

DeV.

Post 98 by dublindave

Do you think Ireland should continue to contribute €950m each year to overseas aid, even though we will have to borrow every cent.

Post 8 by maxwell smart

Why is the government and the public/civil service not run as a business, with real accountability, where people who make mistakes are reprimanded, where fraud is punished and where performance is measured against strict targets? (Like in the real world).

Posted by bamboozle post 38

my 3 questions for Deputy Gogarty;

Q1-Ben Bernanke as head of the US Fed Reserve has arguably the most important job in finance in the world, his salary is $185,000 PA. Patrick Neary the retired former head of the Financial Regulator has a pension of €145,000 (at todays fx rate =$201k). How can our state justify paying such an exorbitant pension to someone who performed so poorly?

Q2-Why dont we have a fully vouched expense system for politicians?

Q3-Given the last time the Seanad rejected a Dail Bill was in the 1960's, how can we justify the expenses incurred in running such a toothless body?

• Advertisement

deelite wrote: »
    There are so many empty council houses around why aren't these offered to rent to people currently receiving Rental Supplement - surely that would save a few euro.

Secondly I understand that the CWO's are due to come back under the social welfare umbrella - at the moment the phones aren't being answered in the local sw offices, the dole queues are long (one employee operating the sign on hatch) - how is this going to help people who need urgent financial assistance. As it is people are waiting for weeks for the "dole" to come through.

As regards houses, I agree. It makes sense. There aren't that many refurbished Council houses around, however. To refurbish takes time and money and because the allocation of rent allowance comes through different channels, there is no joined up thinking in operation to try and come up with overall efficiencies. It is not an area I deal with specifically as a spokesperson although it has been raised within the PP on a number of occasions.

On SW, I have had reports from constituents of a very slow service and inability to get through to talk to people face to face. Thanks to the help of a couple of good people in social welfare management I have been able to get the responses required for constituents.

I would say that a good level of service should always be forthcoming without having to go through an elected representative. And it isn't. I don't know exactly why is the answer. Part of it is the legacy of industrial action, part of it is down to resourcing. Part of it is down to increasing numbers. Yet people who are in receipt of social welfare need to be dealt with efficiently and with dignity.

Perhaps if there were spot checks carried out it might assist.

On the issue of the euro zone, do you think Ireland opting out (or being shoved out) is a real possibility in the next 2-3 years? Certainly there are voices in some quarters - David McWilliams for one - who have called for Ireland to bite the bullet and dump the euro. If Ireland does stay in the euro zone, how can it regain competitiveness without a process of 'long, slow, grinding deflation'?

Speaking of which, seaniedearg noted in the questions thread that in today's Indo column McWilliams called for some kind of debt forgiveness in Ireland, 'both personal and institutional'. Would you be in favor of some kind of debt forgiveness program, or at a minimum, a change in Irish bankruptcy law that would make it easier for both families and businesses to pick up the pieces again after financial disaster?

First question, no. I think the euro is more likely to collapse than us get chucked out. But still not likely.

On the second one, yes, I think it is essential and will happen. On the second, we could certainly look at the US model where you can get knocked down and get back up again, but I am not enough of an expert to say what the negative implications would be. Certainly the current model needs to be re-examined.

I thought I answered that one earlier, unless it didn't post properly.

Post 72 by timbel

Do you think that sitting TDs should be able to claim pensions?

Should TDs be able to claim multiple pensions (ministerial, etc) at the same time?

When is the government going to bring in real reform of the political system (not the half baked "reform" of expenses last budget)?

By this I mean,
    - reducing the ratio of TDs to population
    - fully vouched expenses
    - 1 pension per TD which can only be claimed at retirement (this mean proper retirement, not finishing in the Dail and going back to work in the private sector, eg. as a non executive director of some board, etc)

bijapos wrote: »
    Posted by bamboozle post 38

my 3 questions for Deputy Gogarty;

Q1-Ben Bernanke as head of the US Fed Reserve has arguably the most important job in finance in the world, his salary is $185,000 PA. Patrick Neary the retired former head of the Financial Regulator has a pension of €145,000 (at todays fx rate =$201k). How can our state justify paying such an exorbitant pension to someone who performed so poorly?

Q2-Why dont we have a fully vouched expense system for politicians?

Q3-Given the last time the Seanad rejected a Dail Bill was in the 1960's, how can we justify the expenses incurred in running such a toothless body?

1. That was the rate in place at the time. It would be open to legal challenge if changed retrospectively. Our costs are higher, so our wages should be higher, but that said, our wages are too high in terms of our competitiveness.

2. Some things like constituency travel and car repair etc are too difficult to quantify and separate. At least we now have a swipe system and the majority of the expenses are vouched. Pity half of the Oireachtas opted for a lower unvouched payment instead. That should be scrapped.

3. Seanad reform is needed, deep rooted Seanad reform, including elections by popular vote.

Posted by Sparks in questions thread

Most of the questions asked thus far have been questions with answers which are in the same category as most posts on boards.ie - which is to say, that the only answers you can give as a TD are your opinions on what 165 other TDs should do to resolve the issue, and obviously you cannot hold them to your opinion on what should be done.

So I would like to ask, in the time remaining in this Government, what your specific goals are for national level (not local level) issues and policies. What legislative changes do you hope to bring forward, which do you intend to oppose, and what is the minimum level of achievement with respect to those goals that you would consider to be success?

NB: The question is on the Deputy's own personal goals, not the Green Party's or the Governments.

1. That was the rate in place at the time. It would be open to legal challenge if changed retrospectively. Our costs are higher, so our wages should be higher, but that said, our wages are too high in terms of our competitiveness.

Do you mean wages in general such as the minimum wage?

I think the poster was referring to the enormous wages, pensions and golden handshakes that are handed out to state and semi state employees, that these have little to do with the real world and that there seems to be no move to reform this.

2. Some things like constituency travel and car repair etc are too difficult to quantify and separate. At least we now have a swipe system and the majority of the expenses are vouched. Pity half of the Oireachtas opted for a lower unvouched payment instead. That should be scrapped.

How is it too difficult to quantify? Surely a once off annual payment based on the distance from the home/constituency to the dail would be appropriate.

• Advertisement

Posted by Laminations

The deputy responds to a question on Patrick Nearys salary in comparison to Ben Bernecke's by simply saying 'that was the agreed amount'. This says nothing as to whether he thinks Neary deserved such a salary or now deserves such a large pension, for what was essentially failure to regulate. Neary said on Primetime that all our banks were adequately capitalised and in need of no help!!

So does the deputy think that something should and could be done to tax the pensions of high paid public servants who screw up so royally?

Advertisement