Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Calf prices 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

What are ai bred 3/4 week old ho/fr heifer calves worth lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

leg wax wrote: »
    well they have to open early to get all vehicles off the road outside as the locals are up in arms at traffic jams at sheep time and its only worse at this time of year with calves. but what do you want at this time of year prices cant stay up and not at the numbers coming out now
    Were you in the calf sales this year? If so what do you think of new facilities?
    I haven't been don't usually go there. It gets a bit silly at this time of year with everyone going in earlier and earlier every week trying to get a good lot number.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

leg wax wrote: »
    well they have to open early to get all vehicles off the road outside as the locals are up in arms at traffic jams at sheep time and its only worse at this time of year with calves. but what do you want at this time of year prices cant stay up and not at the numbers coming out now

Ah I know that legs but at the same time it's next thing to impossible unless you have no regard for your own time and effort to get a group of calves into a decent lot number so why would you bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

I take the lazy way out if not selling from the yard haulier comes and takes calves to bandon every Mon, between mart fees and transport it comes to 18 euro I think, but haven't been to a mart in years and don't have time to either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

What age are the White heads? Bulls I presume.

Got €600 for 2 he Bulls yesterday, hobby farmer wanted for his fr cow that lost her calf. He chose the best 2 but were only 4 days old.

Regular guy not paying that but taking fr calves as well, so I need to be careful.

Edit: often sold 20 fresh calves to get that amount :)

Yes bulls. 3/4 was old. The bb were up on 5 wks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Any price on AAs yet?

Mate of mine running a haulage service. 6e/hd to enniscorthy. He'll sell for ye too if you want.
    I'm happy with the man coming in and getting calves here. 10 minutes and there's 10 gone and all you have to do is load them. And a fair price each way

• Registered Users Posts: 29,072 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Timmaay wrote: »
    Any price on AAs yet?
    Have only sold 2. 200 cash for a bull just over a week and 160 for a heifer just under a week. The guy who bought the heifer also bought 7 fr bulls so I didnt rob him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,068 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Mate of mine running a haulage service. 6e/hd to enniscorthy. He'll sell for ye too if you want.
    I'm happy with the man coming in and getting calves here. 10 minutes and there's 10 gone and all you have to do is load them. And a fair price each way

What's a fair price ??,selling in yard only one customer ,sell in mart you've many .

mahoney_j wrote: »
    What's a fair price ??,selling in yard only one customer ,sell in mart you've many .

How do you cost your time at a very busy period. No risk of bringing disease home if you sell at home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I use a haulier to kabturk €5/hd and he sells as well, no way would I sell to a dealer in the yard.

whelan2 wrote: »
    How do you cost your time at a very busy period. No risk of bringing disease home if you sell at home

I don't sell calves cause there money to be made on them at back end or next spring without a lot of meal.if I did go to mart I e neighbours and friends who go every week who'd sell them for me.once an ainmal leaves this yard for mart he ain't coming back !!,

I mean the farmer bringing disease back. Never understood lads bringing calves to mart not selling and taking them home

80e for good and bad. Sure again you put in your time, diesel and mart fees you won't be much better off.

80e for good and bad. Sure again you put in your time, diesel and mart fees you won't be much better off.

I really think your missing a trick with your bull cslves gg,do em right for first 10 weeks then grass and some meal and a lot more to be made for little work at end of year .putting all your eggs in milk and cows isn't what I'd be advising for the foreseeable .

I really think your missing a trick with your bull cslves gg,do em right for first 10 weeks then grass and some meal and a lot more to be made for little work at end of year .putting all your eggs in milk and cows isn't what I'd be advising for the foreseeable .

That's fine if you have outside blocks mj but if all in one block ground is better off for cows

Do you get paid on day or is it wait 10 days(at least). I think these export guys are really riding the farmers, wtf are they doing sitting on the money for 10 days

Milked out wrote: »
    That's fine if you have outside blocks mj but if all in one block ground is better off for cows

Agree to a point but with milk price on downward spiral it's not a bad thing to have an easily cashed in alternative source of income at year end

Agree to a point but with milk price on downward spiral it's not a bad thing to have an easily cashed in alternative source of income at year end
    Some lads havent got time to wait until the year end

• Registered Users Posts: 10,680 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Do you get paid on day or is it wait 10 days(at least). I think these export guys are really riding the farmers, wtf are they doing sitting on the money for 10 days
    Probably waiting to get paid themselves by whoever they sell to.:(

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Advertisement

I'm not taking on ground to keep bull calves.
    What profit are you going to make off them at 10 nths old? 100/ 150e

We sold a dozen AA bulls in mart on sat. 10 mths old. 550 was the average. Not enough imo

Should have 40 heifer calves to look after this yr. There the priority. Not arsing around with bull calves. If we're that tight for money we'll sell them

Probably waiting to get paid themselves by whoever they sell to.:(
    Last calf i sent i had 2 ring twice and it took 3 weeks for payment. If they are that stuck for 80 euro it doesnt look good

Paid on the day. He's not an exporter

Cull cows would be the same, milk em on with main herd and offload at year end with no extra group around the place, obviously if high scc etc not a runner but you get my gist. Beef men say the purchase price is the difference between profit and loss so selling the calves gives the profit part straight off. Again fragmented farms are different

I'm not taking on ground to keep bull calves.
    What profit are you going to make off them at 10 nths old? 100/ 150e

We sold a dozen AA bulls in mart on sat. 10 mths old. 550 was the average. Not enough imo

Should have 40 heifer calves to look after this yr. There the priority. Not arsing around with bull calves. If we're that tight for money we'll sell them
    That's sounds way off or else weights were poor ,they'd easily make 2/2.40 a kg live weight here..didn't say take extra land ,you have out locks of land and you've outlined you don't use full fert application so why not use it grow the grass and achieve cheap live weight gain .your only talking an extra 20/25 calves .not much work in that .150 euro per head and more profit is not to be a eased at .if milk stays low for sustained period u will be more than happy to have them rather than just covering costs with milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

This is to anyone. If your highly stocked as it is and if there's tb in your area even though your herd is clear. Sell your bull calves. If you have land to keep them to slaughter then fine keep them.

That's sounds way off or else weights were poor ,they'd easily make 2/2.40 a kg live weight here..didn't say take extra land ,you have out locks of land and you've outlined you don't use full fert application so why not use it grow the grass and achieve cheap live weight gain .your only talking an extra 20/25 calves .not much work in that .150 euro per head and more profit is not to be a eased at .if milk stays low for sustained period u will be more than happy to have them rather than just covering costs with milk.
    We're 280-320 kg.
    Far from poor weights for April born AA.

We're 280-320 kg.
    Far from poor weights for April born AA.

Not bad but still poor price ,unloading my March April he Bulls next week weighed this am 360/395 kg .should make 2.20 kg plus

• Registered Users Posts: 10,680 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    This is to anyone. If your highly stocked as it is and if there's tb in your area even though your herd is clear. Sell your bull calves. If you have land to keep them to slaughter then fine keep them.
    That's very good advice. Even for a suckler farmer, getting a fail at the wrong time of the year can be a disaster. I know of guys that moved their annual hard test to the spring to avoid getting caught in the autumn.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭farmer lad

Not bad but still poor price ,unloading my March April he Bulls next week weighed this am 360/395 kg .should make 2.20 kg plus

What breeds?

Advertisement