Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grass measuring 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭C4d78

I feel like I'm kinda gate-crashing this thread a small bit ;)

But I have a Q and I think ye might be the lads to help me.

What would the DMD of good spring grass be now?
    I have my few in-lamb ewes on a good field of grass, and I don't want to over feed em. So just wondering what the feed value in good grass is.

Thanks.

Approx mid 80's DMD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

whats the soil temp like now?

whelan2 wrote: »
    whats the soil temp like now?

5.5-6.5 here yesterday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Cow Porter

Fine line between starvation and 'hungry' imo. I can't work on an empty stomach lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Cow Porter wrote: »
    Fine line between starvation and 'hungry' imo. I can't work on an empty stomach lol

Do you need to eat between going to bed and having breakfast?! From what I read that's all he's advocating

just do it wrote: »
    Do you need to eat between going to bed and having breakfast?! From what I read that's all he's advocating

The advice in the article is good, just saying I'd rather not have cows starving. Ok they need an appetite to manage the grass but it's a balancing act, have to feed the cow too. Saw cows standing at a gap yesterday from 2pm. - Fair enough busy time etc. Passed another place and he was after bringing them in to buffer before milking. This is covered in the article saying cows still need to be fully fed in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

The advice in the article is good, just saying I'd rather not have cows starving. Ok they need an appetite to manage the grass but it's a balancing act, have to feed the cow too. Saw cows standing at a gap yesterday from 2pm. - Fair enough busy time etc. Passed another place and he was after bringing them in to buffer before milking. This is covered in the article saying cows still need to be fully fed in the day.

Our cows are at the gap at 2.30 every day let in stand in yard milked at 4 back out but for some reason never at gap in morning, I think their trying it on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A few Kerry figures...

AFC 921, Demand 26, Growth 5, PGY 1000 Meal 2kgs.

Last years total 14.28t DM/ha

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Our cows are at the gap at 2.30 every day let in stand in yard milked at 4 back out but for some reason never at gap in morning, I think their trying it on?
    they must be reading agriland:)

• Advertisement

To be fair these were a different breed of cow to yours - higher intake needed.
    Sure aren't they all asleep at night......lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

A cow giving 25lts uses the same amount of energy relative to a human running the marathon. Do this every day and then find the energy to go in calf. This is what separates the men from the boys. A balancing act between grazing out and energy intake taking into account dry matters etc.

A cow giving 25lts uses the same amount of energy relative to a human running the marathon. Do this every day and then find the energy to go in calf. This is what separates the men from the boys. A balancing act between grazing out and energy intake taking into account dry matters etc.

I've ran a few marathons but thankfully have never had to go in-calf :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A few Kerry figures...

AFC 921, Demand 26, Growth 5, PGY 1000 Meal 2kgs.

Last years total 14.28t DM/ha
    :o

I should have put down that they were kerry average figures, not mine.

I'd be a bit behind those figures and even further behind last year.

Just wondering would anyone recommend a soil thermometer or will I just buy a standard one like this. http://www.grasstecgroup.com/product/standard-soil-thermometer/

Should have kept my gob shut.... Cows in later than 'they should be' today.... Unforeseen circumstances lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

one benefit of living in a country dominated by high input dairy farming is the meal companies offer a service of doing herbage test on grass so farmers can adjust their tmr when grass is included. so this week we got our puzzled sales man out (usually clients aren't grazing till may/june) and took samples from 10 paddocks ranging from 500-2000 cutting samples to the dirt so not just leaf. The results were quite surprising
    Cp = 20-24
    Dm= 20-25
    Me=11.9-12.7
    the highest cover sample had a me of 11.7 dry matter of 25 and a cp of 24 I would of assumed it would of tested a lot poorer than this

Just wondering would anyone recommend a soil thermometer or will I just buy a standard one like this. http://www.grasstecgroup.com/product/standard-soil-thermometer/

Thinking along the same lines, its a good thing to have alright.

Thinking along the same lines, its a good thing to have alright.

I use a regular meat one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

I use a regular meat one

Same here, it needs to be long enough to go 3-4 inches into the ground.

• Advertisement

td5man wrote: »
    Same here, it needs to be long enough to go 3-4 inches into the ground.

Exactly one you stick up a turkeys hole

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I've ran a few marathons but thankfully have never had to go in-calf :).

That's not what I heard. You were supposed to have calved after crossing the finish line!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Exactly one you stick up a turkeys hole

Would it have to be a turkeys hole! Would any out foul be acceptable

Would it have to be a turkeys hole! Would any out foul be acceptable

I think you may mean fowl, but it was funny all the same :):)

How much area have ye all grazex . 16% here this morning.
    I'll be around 32% by 1st march

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Only at 9% here yet, rain yday has stopped us for a few days will go back out to lighter covers when it dries up.

Milked out wrote: »
    Only at 9% here yet, rain yday has stopped us for a few days will go back out to lighter covers when it dries up.

Grazed a wet paddock last two days.
    It's destryed now. Possibly looks better than what it is. Happenes it every yr.
    Will have to get it drained again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

Grazed a wet paddock last two days.
    It's destryed now. Possibly looks better than what it is. Happenes it every yr.
    Will have to get it drained again

I was trying to get thru some of the wet ground b4 the rain came as well, just about managed it on for 4 hrs and off again. More marking the ground than poaching so to speak I hope anyway. Was annoyed when they broke out the other day as there is no going back in they.d only walk around and do more damage b4 settling

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

20% here as of today. Aiming for 30% by 1st of March. Allocations getting bigger from tomorrow. Should be fully at grass by 1st. Actually think it might need to be sooner.

• Advertisement

20% here as of today. Aiming for 30% by 1st of March. Allocations getting bigger from tomorrow. Should be fully at grass by 1st. Actually think it might need to be sooner.

Your covering fair area by only being out by day free.
    I'm wondering will silage have to go back in here for march high demand then and those old leys and that reseed might grow feck all till grazed

Advertisement