Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

As I said, its quite embryonic at this stage, I have only added the ones I have easily been able to find GPX/KML files so far, I plan to keep looking for more, hopefully some kind soul has done the entirety of the Northern Ireland greenway network plan as a GPX. I also don't have full info on which are planned/proposed/potential. The breakdown of those would be roughly:

The following are all complete

The Royal Canal is complete from North Strand Road, Dublin, up to Castleknock train station.
    There's a greenway from Ashtown along the Tolka down to the N2
    Theres a Greenway from Chapelizod along the right bank of the Liffey down to Islandbridge
    There's a Greenway from the Battle of the Boyne site down to Drogheda. on the right bank of the Boyne

There's a greenway from somewhere west of the R113 down to Treasury buildings in Dublin along the Grand Canal, and from Hazelhatch(R405) west to the L2007

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The Royal Canal is complete from North Strand Road, Dublin, up to Castleknock train station.

Are you sure about that? Seems like the North Strand part only started work in September:

http://irishcycle.com/2017/07/10/construction-to-start-on-royal-canal-greenway-sections-in-dublin-city-this-year/

Also, the section between Broombridge and Ratoath Road is in a really poor state, and there are a lot of gate upgrades needed between Phibsboro and Ashtown.

Theres a forestry road from Woodenbridge down to Arklow that's in the national cycling plan thingy to link up to the disused railway to Shileleagh

Theres 20+ km of cycling track loops completed around Lough Boora in Offaly

Theres a planned link from the end of the cycle track at Sutton on Dublin Bay to Malahide - public consultation closed last month

Theres a planned Greenway from Malahide Castle to Newbridge house outside Donabate. Public consultation happened last year or the year before.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Thanks for all the help folks, I'll try and get more added as and when I can

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The old Cork Blackroack and Passage Railway line is now a lovely paved walk/cycleway between the Atlantic Pond and Passage:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cork,_Blackrock_and_Passage_Railway

http://www.walkingroutes.ie/1835-Cork-City-to-Passage-West.html#default

• Advertisement

• Thanks for all the help folks, I'll try and get more added as and when I can

why not just add the routes to Openstreetmap. That way they are available to everyone through multiple apps, sites etc and you can do a heck of a lot more with the data than just overlaying on a Google map

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there's a short greenway at Blessington but Wicklow CC are planning to extend it so it goes all the way around the lakes (I posted a link to this earlier in the thread but the link is now dead; the project is still in planning though)

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/wicklowpeople/news/a-positive-step-for-blessington-greenway-plan-35895480.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

also a proposed greenway on the old Navan-Kingscourt railway line (this freight line only closed about 15 years ago so Irish Rail still own it, bridges etc are still intact)

http://www.meath.ie/media/Media,53399,en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

loyatemu wrote: »
    there's a short greenway at Blessington but Wicklow CC are planning to extend it so it goes all the way around the lakes (I posted a link to this earlier in the thread but the link is now dead; the project is still in planning though)

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/wicklowpeople/news/a-positive-step-for-blessington-greenway-plan-35895480.html

Think that's the one where the Yacht Club and a local resident have lodged objections

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Athlone has just given green light for a cycleway bridge over Shannon. If they can get Dunnes to forfeit the land around Montree rail track, should be good for an extra mile of greenway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Limerick council seeking tenders for the construction of an underpass of the N21 at Barnagh and integration of the railway tunnel into the greenway

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=120594&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

marno21 wrote: »
    Limerick council seeking tenders for the construction of an underpass of the N21 at Barnagh and integration of the railway tunnel into the greenway

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=120594&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

The people behind the GST should be honoured for their persistence and resilience. A shining example of Greenway triumph against adversity. Walkers- not talkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

I'm a big fan of Greenways and would love if we had a huge network of interlinked trails as I believe it would be a huge benefit for society and the economy.

I've cycled and walked the GST many times, it's a really great public amenity, and crossing the road to visit the Barna tunnel is well worth it.

But building some extra tunnels across a national route at presumably enormous cost to incorporate an existing tunnel into the trail seems like a huge expense for very little return.

Surely spending the money on extending the trail back into Limerick and on into Kerry would be a much use of the money...?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I'm a big fan of Greenways and would love if we had a huge network of interlinked trails as I believe it would be a huge benefit for society and the economy.

I've cycled and walked the GST many times, it's a really great public amenity, and crossing the road to visit the Barna tunnel is well worth it.

But building some extra tunnels across a national route at presumably enormous cost to incorporate an existing tunnel into the trail seems like a huge expense for very little return.

Surely spending the money on extending the trail back into Limerick and on into Kerry would be a much use of the money...?
    A tender went out last week to extend the greenway to Listowel :)

They are doing both. A safe crossing of the N21 at Barnagh is important also as traffic is high speed there and would improve the safety of the greenway. Similar thing was done on the N59 near Newport recently during road realignment works.

A tender went out last week to extend the greenway to Listowel :)

They are doing both. A safe crossing of the N21 at Barnagh is important also as traffic is high speed there and would improve the safety of the greenway. Similar thing was done on the N59 near Newport recently during road realignment works.

Doing a job like a tunnel across the road makes sense when you're doing roadworks there anyway.

But they have just finished major works around Barna so doing another major job so soon after is a bit silly.
    Presumably incorporating the Barna tunnel into the trail will require two tunnels? One to the north and another to the south?

It will surely cost a fortune and cause massive disruption on a route that is already full of bottle necks.

I hope they do the extending into Listowel first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

I hope they do the extending into Listowel first.
    I'd imagine that extending the Listowel line would come out of Kerry County Councils budget whereas the Barnagh tunnel would come out of Limerick County Council's budget, so I think they're separate projects and the idea of which to do first doesn't arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭pigtown

I could have sworn that the council decided against incorporating the Barnagh tunnel only a few months ago due to the uncertainty around the new Foynes road. Have they changed their minds?

pigtown wrote: »
    I could have sworn that the council decided against incorporating the Barnagh tunnel only a few months ago due to the uncertainty around the new Foynes road. Have they changed their minds?

What would the Barnagh tunnel have to do with the Foynes road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭pigtown

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    Are you sure about that? Seems like the North Strand part only started work in September:

http://irishcycle.com/2017/07/10/construction-to-start-on-royal-canal-greenway-sections-in-dublin-city-this-year/

Also, the section between Broombridge and Ratoath Road is in a really poor state, and there are a lot of gate upgrades needed between Phibsboro and Ashtown.

yeah, don't mind streetview, the security fencing is gone and its all hard surface down to Charleville Mall.
    Cycle to work that way. It's cozy under the bridges at Jones Rd and Ballybough, if you were to meet another cyclist, but plenty wide all the rest of the route. I think the scheme Monument refers to includes a lot of the bit above Binns Bridge, where it's only footpath wide almost all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Updated the map with most completed/planned/proposed greenways in Dublin, probably a few in different stages than I have them down as but at least the lines are down, quite a few 'Potential' routes to lay down still (Fantastic amount of south Dublin streams that could link up with the Dodder). I'll move on to Belfast and give the North a bit of care and attention next!

Greenway Map

If anyone wants to lend a hand or transfer the map into Open Street Maps I would be happy to grant access or pass on the KML/GPX file.

serfboard wrote: »
    I'd imagine that extending the Listowel line would come out of Kerry County Councils budget whereas the Barnagh tunnel would come out of Limerick County Council's budget, so I think they're separate projects and the idea of which to do first doesn't arise.

I've had a search and can't find anything on the Kerry County Council putting out a tender for the extension into Kerry so I'm not sure it's actually happening.

The incorporation of Barnagh tunnel into the greenway only adds approx. 1.3km to the trail for a massive cost and disruption.

At this stage of having limited lengths of greenways it really does seem like a waste of money to do this when longer linked trails are what's actually needed.

This job should be done as a halo project when we have a long finished trail going from Limerick to Listowel/Tralee/Dingle.

If Kerry and Limerick pooled their greenway budgets I'm sure it would have a more significant result than random spending on small local projects.

A National Greenway Authority similar to the National Roads Authority should be set up to develop a national interlinked greenway network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

In relation to the Midleton to Youghal railway line and the proposed greenway for it, is this actually going ahead?

Irish Rail declared 1 year ago this week they want to permanently abandon the line which is scandalous in this day and age.

How and ever, word on other threads is that people have build dwellings/sheds on the line illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

How and ever, word on other threads is that people have build dwellings/sheds on the line illegally.

I didn't know there were houses on it..
    Mind you legally Irish rail are probably still entitled to send a bull dozer down the line... (chance would be a fine thing)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

IR should take no prisoners and order any illegally constructed buildings on the route be demolished at owner's expense.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

spacetweek wrote: »
    IR should take no prisoners and order any illegally constructed buildings on the route be demolished at owner's expense.

I'd agree, but this will probably result in a decade worth of court cases. Ireland seems to love a chancer, and that's reflected in the court too I think, there's no guarantee that Irish Rail would win.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

CatInABox wrote: »
    I'd agree, but this will probably result in a decade worth of court cases. Ireland seems to love a chancer, and that's reflected in the court too I think, there's no guarantee that Irish Rail would win.

I think most of the lawyers would be covered by that remark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

If the buildings have been there for 12 years then unfortunately they can claim squatters rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I think it's 30 years for state property actually, but I don't really think it would apply here, IR would probably have done work on the land even after closing down the line, which would probably constitute use.

Advertisement