Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is this the wettest winter ever?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

A drought is one thing we will never have in this cursed part of the world.

Were you around in 1984 ;)

blue5000 wrote: »
    I was just sitting in the cab of the tractor after feeding cattle this morning, staring out at more rain falling. It occurred to me that this has to be the wettest winter that I ever remember. I need to move slurry this week, but I reckon it'll be just a case of shifting it from a couple of full tanks to other less full tanks:(.
    At least we got a dryish week about 3 weeks back to shift some slurry, but ppl farming in counties with the longer closed periods must be under pressure now. How has it affected you?

You need to change the ever part to living memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Well the way I see it, there was 8 million people here just before the famine and barely toilet between them.:D

I'd say there wasn't as much going in to come out back then , certainly weren't swelled from takeaway and beer !

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Sam Kade wrote: »
    You need to change the ever part to living memory.

Showing my age now alright, whatever about kovu getting webbed toes, mine are getting wrinkled from being submerged. You'd nearly want the 4wd on in the jeep driving through my yard today.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sonandheir

Of the past 95 days it has rained on 94 of them. Only day with 24 hours of no rain was Dec 27. Taken from current wet spell data here

http://www.galwaycityweather.com/today.htm

And here

http://www.galwaycityweather.com/record.htm

That's based in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

sonandheir wrote: »
    Of the past 95 days it has rained on 94 of them. Only day with 24 hours of no rain was Dec 27. Taken from current wet spell data here

http://www.galwaycityweather.com/today.htm

And here

http://www.galwaycityweather.com/record.htm

That's based in Galway.

It's not wrong .
    When is it going to feckin stop ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Were you around in 1984 ;)

Followed by 1986, the wettest ****ty **** of a summer I remember. Seeing field after field of hay lost and pushed into hedges with buck rakes.

_Brian wrote: »
    Followed by 1986, the wettest ****ty **** of a summer I remember. Seeing field after field of hay lost and pushed into hedges with buck rakes.

85 was the wet year, 84 in cork we had no rain from April to September, farmers were spreading water with slurry tanks after spreading fertiliser they were so desperate. 86 was a good summer apart from hurricane Charlie in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

1984 was good. Easter had a mini heatwave. A guy I know was in Ag College and was one of those on duty over Easter.
    They spent all their spare time round the pool and got tanned, somehow at one point he swam into the end wall and ended up with a black eye and his scalp split open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

85 was the wet year, 84 in cork we had no rain from April to September, farmers were spreading water with slurry tanks after spreading fertiliser they were so desperate. 86 was a good summer apart from hurricane Charlie in August.

+1.
    84 was one of the best years, weatherwise and financially, in my lifetime.
    I'm still trying to erase 85 from my memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,203 ✭✭✭tanko

Was 86 not a very wet summer also?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

tanko wrote: »

Yea. Washout here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Fuxake

85 and 86 were horrendous. In my memory, there was probably more rain in 85 but it was falling on dry ground so it took a while for it to go tits up. We got first cut silage in May handy enough but by July I remember getting bogged down with a load of hay bales. By September we were still looking at hay not saved. By 86 we went 100% silage, and we had ferocious damage drawing it all in. 86 was also a hoor of a year, maybe a little less rain but ground was softer after all the rain of 85. Old boy was going ballistic. Jeez when I look back now I thought that the summer rain would last for ever, those were the worst days of my life

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I remember that wet summer, 1985 or whenever. We cut all hay at the time. I remember having to make small 'grass cocks' of a whole field. Then shake them all out again, only to watch it rain heavy again. The whole field was buck-raked into a corner to rot. We made all silage after that, like a lot of people. It's incredible now, to watch one guy baling with a fusion. He'd have the whole lot done in a few hours, while listening to the radio sitting in an air conditioned cab.:)

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

I remember that wet summer, 1985 or whenever. We cut all hay at the time. I remember having to make small 'grass cocks' of a whole field. Then shake them all out again, only to watch it rain heavy again. The whole field was buck-raked into a corner to rot. We made all silage after that, like a lot of people. It's incredible now, to watch one guy baling with a fusion. He'd have the whole lot done in a few hours, while listening to the radio sitting in an air conditioned cab.:)

We hadn't made any real quantities of hay for years before '85 but that year finished it. All we made was for calves. It just struck me that '85 was the first year we made bale silage. Real bitch of a job with bags, no wrapper.

tanko wrote: »

Nowhere as bad as 85 in cork anyway, I was going out on hire square baling hay and straw made 22k bales that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭White Clover

Nowhere as bad as 85 in cork anyway, I was going out on hire square baling hay and straw made 22k bales that year.

What kind of gear were you running then Sam?

Did a lot of small squares in the 60's and 70's (hire work). It was lovely work until the bale sleigh came along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

Dawggone wrote: »
    Did a lot of small squares in the 60's and 70's (hire work). It was lovely work until the bale sleigh came along.

What did the bale sleigh do to harm it?

Odelay wrote: »

What did the bale sleigh do to harm it?

Pulling a rope every 6or8 bales wasn't easy. I wrapped the rope around my hand once and the sleigh detached from the baler...dragged me out the back of the tractor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,076 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Pulling a rope every 6or8 bales wasn't easy. I wrapped the rope around my hand once and the sleigh detached from the baler...dragged me out the back of the tractor!
    Its the type of thing ya only do once, like wrapping a halter around your hand:cool:

What kind of gear were you running then Sam?

Ford 4600 and new Holland 377, it was some baler to go through hay. I made 5000 bales one day within a 7 mile radius.

Ford 4600 and new Holland 377, it was some baler to go through hay. I made 5000 bales one day within a 7 mile radius.

Good going. Was the 46 a bit underpowered? I was in a huge 5000! :)

Good going. Was the 46 a bit underpowered? I was in a huge 5000! :)

No, it would drive it no bother if you had a good even swath on level ground you'd bale in 6th gear.

Advertisement