Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goals for 2016?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Would like to get my 5km time under 30mins (currently 31min 37sec).
    Did a 5km race yesterday, done in 30mins 43 sec!! Surprised cos during the run I got annoyed with myself, thought I wasn't pushing myself enough. Delighted with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Did a 5km race yesterday, done in 30mins 43 sec!! Surprised cos during the run I got annoyed with myself, thought I wasn't pushing myself enough. Delighted with that!

If it was during the race then why didn't you just push harder?

davedanon wrote: »
    If it was during the race then why didn't you just push harder?
    My mind was saying I should be doing better than this but my body wasn't following suit!
    Edit: just to add that it was a learning experience for me, I'm used to running with music myself and ran this without music or strava in my ear. I need to learn to focus my mind when I am running and not let my head rule my legs (unless it hurts).

Also it wasn't a competitive race but a charity run with a start and finish line, which I wanted to do my best in (ie a race to me!)

My mind was saying I should be doing better than this but my body wasn't following suit!
    Edit: just to add that it was a learning experience for me, I'm used to running with music myself and ran this without music or strava in my ear. I need to learn to focus my mind when I am running and not let my head rule my legs (unless it hurts).

Also it wasn't a competitive race but a charity run with a start and finish line, which I wanted to do my best in (ie a race to me!)

Oh, not trying to be mean or anything, just that you were having the thought while you could still do something about it, and not afterwards when it's too late.

Oh, not trying to be mean or anything, just that you were having the thought while you could still do something about it, and not afterwards when it's too late.
    Oh no, I take your comments on board and you're dead right. I'm going to try and work on my head space. I did enjoy the run though! And I'm getting nearer to my 5k target for this year so I must focus on the positive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Coffee Fulled Runner

My main goals for the year.

5km 19:00
    10km 39:59
    Half marathon sub 1:30

Additional goals are to try and run 2000km, although I'd be happy enough with just getting over the 1000km mark. Also I've it in the back of my mind to go for the DCM. I tried last year but didn't make it to the start line. I never ran a marathon so I think I'd like to give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

Sunny, not trying to be funny, but I think this may part of what's holding you back.

Another 5km race today. Official time 30:32, my strava tells me I hit 5km just before it at 30:02. Either way I'm delighted, getting nearer to breaking the 30 mins mark. And I really enjoyed the run too! :) :0

Another 5km race today. Official time 30:32, my strava tells me I hit 5km just before it at 30:02. Either way I'm delighted, getting nearer to breaking the 30 mins mark. And I really enjoyed the run too! :) :0

Well done, but don't get sucked into believing what your unreliable GPS watch tells you. I don't know what race it was, but in general a proper race will be accurately measured, and GPS watches are known to be inaccurate to a certain degree. There is a cohort of runners who have form for touting their garmin/strava times ahead of their official race times, putting pictures of their watches online showing the time at the official distance, and so on. Aside from being uncool, it is far more likely that the course is accurately measured, although every so often it does arise that a course is short.

Well done, but don't get sucked into believing what your unreliable GPS watch tells you. I don't know what race it was, but in general a proper race will be accurately measured, and GPS watches are known to be inaccurate to a certain degree. There is a cohort of runners who have form for touting their garmin/strava times ahead of their official race times, putting pictures of their watches online showing the time at the official distance, and so on. Aside from being uncool, it is far more likely that the course is accurately measured, although every so often it does arise that a course is short.
    Oh don't worry I didn't lose any sleep over it!! :D Either way it was a pb! I've never had my strava (or mapmyrun app before that) match a time in a race or parkrun so it doesn't worry me. I guess I'm just focussing on it more cos I'm sooo near breaking 30 mins!! Excited!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Oh don't worry I didn't lose any sleep over it!! :D Either way it was a pb! I've never had my strava (or mapmyrun app before that) match a time in a race or parkrun so it doesn't worry me. I guess I'm just focussing on it more cos I'm sooo near breaking 30 mins!! Excited!!

Did you get sick at the end of the race? Because it seems like you're that close that if you push until you get sick you'll break 30. :D

Woohoo!! Got sub 30mins in a 5k over the weekend. 29mins59sec to be exact, in by the skin of my teeth!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Username here

Woohoo!! Got sub 30mins in a 5k over the weekend. 29mins59sec to be exact, in by the skin of my teeth!

Ah, well done, SD!! :) Breaking the 30 mark is a great feeling. Keep it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Firedance wrote: »
    1. stay injury free
    2. half - 2:05 initially to 1:59:xx by year end. PB 1:56:41
    3. Marathon - run Rotterdam off the cards
    4. 10k - 49:xx
    5. more XC races

I think its time for a quarter 1 adjustment :D

1. get well asap
    2 1:50 half - possible target is Athlone half
    3 Marathon - DCM
    4. 10k 49:xx (hoping to target Dunshauglin if better)
    5. more XC races

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

IvoryTower wrote: »
    1. Do a few 400m races in the indoors
    2. Run my first 800m race
    3. 56sec 400m by the end of summer

1. done
    2. Hopefully later in the year
    3. upped to 54sec :D
    4. Race 200m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

spaceylou wrote: »
    Second half of 2015 was a bit of a disaster with injury, lack of motivation, yada yada yada so for 2016:

Main Goals
    1. Give sufficient time to S&C every week
    2. Avoid injury (hopefully helped by 1)
    3. Run half marathon in <1:59:59
    4. Run, finish and most importantly ENJOY DCM16

Secondary Goals
    5. Run more races - esp 5k and 10k
    6. Improve PB for 5k and 10k
    7. Run in new places.

Blatantly copying Firedance here....first quarter update:

1. Definitely getting better at this
    2. So far so good (touch wood, do not want to ginx myself)
    3. Later in the year
    4. Later in the year

5. I have raced a 5k (two if you include Marley Park Run) and am signed up to another at start of May
    6. Done for 5k :D although feel there is room for more improvement; haven't looked at 10k yet
    7. Obviously most runs are close to home 'cause that is handy but getting better at this and feel its a work in progress that will continue all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Sandwell wrote: »
    Sub-17 5k
    Sub-36 10k
    Sub-60 10 mile
    Sub 1:20 half-marathon
    Finish top 10 in a couple of IMRA races

I achieved my sub-60 in Ballycotton. With a bit of luck, the 5k and 10k times will follow in the next couple of months.

I finished fifth in an IMRA race at the weekend so that goal is looking fairly achievable too.

An additional goal now is a sub 3 marathon. Provided I can stay fit and healthy until June I'll most likely target DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

A bit late to the party. My running season has only really started since the rugby season finished last week.

I ran the GIR on Sunday, my longest run since DCM 2013. My 10K PB is 42:xx, Sunday's time was 1:03:xx so I've plenty of catching up to do.

Have signed up now for Clontarf Half in July and contemplating the Longford Marathon at the end of August.

I'm going to give myself a week or two of consistent training to see where my fitness is at before I set myself a few numeric goals for the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

tang1 wrote: »
    Start this off, 2015 has been a good years running for me because I didn't succomb to injury for first time ran 1,000 miles in the calendar year ran an unexpected PB over 10k. 2016 goals as follows:

1. Run Rotterdam marathon in April.
    2. Stay injury free once more.
    3. Run 1,500 miles.
    4. Everything else is a bonus.

What about the rest of yiz?

No 1 ticked off the list Sunday, 3.24.44 for the Rotterdam Marathon. Great event, one I would highly recommend to anyone considering a Spring European Marathon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

No 1 ticked off the list Sunday, 3.24.44 for the Rotterdam Marathon. Great event, one I would highly recommend to anyone considering a Spring European Marathon.

You've pretty much achieved all those, what are your goals for the rest of the year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

adrian522 wrote: »
    You've pretty much achieved all those, what are your goals for the rest of the year?

Next goal will be trying to break 65 mins for 10 miles in Mullingar in July. All going well after that sub 90 mins in the Athlone Half in September, if ever a race owed me a result it's that one, entered it every year since it began and have yet to run it!! Then hopefully sub 3.15 in DCM.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Cool, I may take in that Mullingar 10 Mile myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Firedance wrote: »
    I think its time for a quarter 1 adjustment :D

1. get well asap
    2 1:50 half - possible target is Athlone half
    3 Marathon - DCM
    4. 10k 49:xx (hoping to target Dunshauglin if better)
    5. more XC races
    Next goal will be trying to break 65 mins for 10 miles in Mullingar in July. All going well after that sub 90 mins in the Athlone Half in September, if ever a race owed me a result it's that one, entered it every year since it began and have yet to run it!! Then hopefully sub 3.15 in DCM.

I'll drive this time!!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

2016 goals:

1. a sub-3 marathon (bonus goal: under 2:55:08)
    2. 220 km in a 24 hrs race (bonus goal: over 225.3)
    3. finish Spartathlon under 33:29:04 (bonus goal: under 32 hrs)

Spring update: Not going entirely to plan.

1. 3:01:02. DOH! Not planning another goal marathon this year so I guess that's close but no cigar
    2. Still open
    3. Spartathlon got replaced by the Euros in October. Same goals (i.e. second shot at goal 2, I suppose)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

1. A sub 20 minute in 5k (PB is 20.38).
    2. A sub 45 minute in 10k (PB is 48.39).
    3. Enter in a 10 mile race.
    4. Enter in a half marathon.

5k: sub-18

5m: sub-31

10k: sub-39

10m: sub-65

HM: sub-90

M: sub-3.10

Hmm. Ambitious targets. Whatever was I thinking? Anyhoo, the first 4 months of the year have been spent training for 5k exclusively. I've run a 5k, 5m, 10k and 10 mile and not come anywhere near those times above, although I was fairly happy with a sub-19 at the MSB 5k. The first genuine target of the year is upcoming, however, and it's my own club race, the Tallaght 5k. It's reasonably fast, though not without a little sting in the tail on the Greenhills rd. I don't know if I can hit the target this time out, but I'm gonna give it a lash. I'd be absolutely thrilled with a pb (<18.34).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Peterx wrote: »
    I would like to get fit enough to go to the uphill only trial race for the Worlds with a chance of qualifying for the team.

Uphill only gives me a chance to use cross training (cycling in my case) to build strength and also somewhat nullifies the speed advantage everyone else may have over me in the European Up+Down trial race.

6th.
    Well the day arrived and I went to the trial race fit enough to have a chance of qualifying. I didn't qualify, in fact I was about 2 minutes off 4th place but getting to the start line at an OK weight with OK fitness was paramount and that box was ticked.
    My time of 36.59 is very similar to my 2010 time of 36.53, albeit on a slightly shorter course. The 2010 time was good enough for 4th place, the 2016 4th place, Brian Furey, was 35.07.
    Racing is funny, despite Brian beating me by nearly two minutes I really thought I might catch him on the final climb. Gotta love the misplaced optimism.
    So the cold hard light of reality shows I was 113% of the winner and 105.7% of a (potential) qualifying time so I didn't achieve the goal. IMRA guidelines state 105% of the trial winner is the recommended retail price for a place on the team.
    One of my perennial goals for any year has always been Gaelforce and assuming I recover from todays exertions I have a chance of a podium next Saturday, which would be great after 8th place last year.
    Well done to Gerry and all the volunteers for making the trail race possible and I personally hope the furinator gets picked with his 4th place finish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

IvoryTower wrote: »
    1. Race 400m indoors - done
    2. Race 800n - Hopefully later in the year
    3. upped to 54sec :D
    4. Race 200m

All done so will add some new goals until new year. Setting goals certainly seems to help.

5k pb (19.45), close to 19 would be nice
    Cross country novice pb
    Run intermediate cc
    Squat 100kg+

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭funrunner95

Better late then never I guess to add my goals, current pb in brackets.

5k - sub 20 (21:50)
    10k sub 45 (45:59)
    10 miles sub 75 (76:50)
    1/2 marathon sub 1:40 (1:41)
    Marathon sub 4 hours (4:35)

They seem realistic enough compared to my current pbs but for the life of my I can't seem to push onto these targets. Most importantly though I'd like to train consistently and not force these targets, I've the whole year to achieve them

44:25 in the Rock N Roll 10k and 49th overall... I'll take that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

1. A sub 20 minute in 5k (PB is 20.38).
    2. A sub 45 minute in 10k (PB is 48.39).
    3. Enter in a 10 mile race.
    4. Enter in a half marathon.

1. A sub 20 minute in 5k - 19:22
    2. A sub 45 minute in 10k - 42:07
    3. Enter in a 10 mile race - 1:07:36
    4. Enter in a half marathon - haven't entered in a HM race yet

Looking to get under 19 minutes for 5k.

Advertisement