Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Wire the best ever tv show? "Spoilers"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭stephen1968

tvnutz wrote: »
    Get out! :P

Have you seen the latest season? Its shocking! As was last season. Seasons 1,2 and 4 I could say were good,nothing compared to the Wire!
    ok its not the best season 6 but i like the show,also the walking dead,true blood,fringe,and breaking bad are great shows.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick.

Bunk Moreland.

What a legend. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Just started on series three. there's something addictive about it, and I can't quite put my finger on it.

I love the way I can understand everything they say now! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Just started on series three. there's something addictive about it, and I can't quite put my finger on it.

I love the way I can understand everything they say now! :D

I wish I could erase it from my brain and do it all again. :)

I'm going to wait another few years and do a marathon of it again.

Enjoy. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

a colleague lent me the entire series over the past few months, took me a couple of weeks to watch series 1, really enjoyed it, didn't enjoy series 2 so much............watched seasons 3, 4 and 5 in the past 10 days.........I really enjoyed it, could do with watching it again, but I'm still gutted over
    stringer bell's death - GUTTED I TELL YA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just finished watching the last episode of season 5. What a great tv series! It's the best series I've ever seen apart from Band of Brothers. Season 4 with the kids was my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

I don't think you can compare a show like The Wire to other shows that are produced on other networks. It frustrates me a bit that its always the plot dictating the characters progression as opposed to the characters dictating the plot like in The Wire and other HBO shows, it just seems like such lazy writing. Shows like Dexter are entertaining in and of themselves but I always think they could be so much better if they weren't written to such predictable formulas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

the wire season 1 episode 4
    f#ck f#ck f#ck .....motherf#cker

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Taine

The Wire is the most over rated TV show I have ever seen.

That doesnt mean I thought it a bad show,it was certainly above the majority of stuff produced over the last 10 years but I just felt it far too convoluted to be believable in alot of respects.

Like McNulty and all that crap with the staging murder scenes.Hogwash.

Season 2 was terribly under cooked.

My personal favourite season was season 4 and that was mainly because of teh younger cast members.

Best show of all time in my humble is Oz,its so far ahead of everything else it is staggering.Next in line is The Sheild,certainly the best cop show of all time.
    Finally Id say The Sopranos is third on the list of best tv shows though it did peeter off towards the end.

Ok you think the wire is a bit far fetched and for that reason you rate the shield above it!?!?!? Like everthing Vic Mackey done was truly believable?

The shield was quality, but the wire will never (maybe never) be beaten as the best cop show! End of....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hunter164

Man, I just finished The Wire and I'm devastated it's over. Best show ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Standman wrote: »
    I don't think you can compare a show like The Wire to other shows that are produced on other networks. It frustrates me a bit that its always the plot dictating the characters progression as opposed to the characters dictating the plot like in The Wire and other HBO shows, it just seems like such lazy writing. Shows like Dexter are entertaining in and of themselves but I always think they could be so much better if they weren't written to such predictable formulas.

Have a look at Southland, orginally network produced (NBC) but now on a cable station (TNT). If you prefer character driven to plot driven cop shows I think you'd like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Precious1

%25255BUNSET%25255D.jpg
    The Wire is the best ever TV show because Aidan Gillen is in it!! :]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

my fav shows

The wire - by a long shot
    Dead wood
    Arrested Development
    Jeeves and Wooster
    Entourage

Good but not great shows
    The Shield
    The West Wing
    Madmen
    Sopranos

Wasnt mad about
    breaking Bad
    True Blood

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Just finished season 5 .....a little sad and withdrawal symptoms kicking in :-( . One question....why does season 2 get such bad reviews here and elsewhere? I really enjoyed the story around the dockers and the problems with the deindustrialisation of blue collar America as a background to the Subotka story in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Just finished season 5 .....a little sad and withdrawal symptoms kicking in :-( . One question....why does season 2 get such bad reviews here and elsewhere? I really enjoyed the story around the dockers and the problems with the deindustrialisation of blue collar America as a background to the Subotka story in particular.

I've noticed myself and a few others say that on first viewing seasons 2 and 5 weren't great but on re-watching season 2 is excellent. I guess season 2 maybe feels a bit out of place when watching the first time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Season 2 was actually my favourite. Very surprised to hear people say it was the weakest.

On the other side, I felt series 4 was probably the weakest, while many I know say it was the best.

Horses for courses and all that I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Best show I've seen in my life.

Season 4 was the best.

Season 2 was absolute muck as was 5.

But 1,3 and 4 were unbelievable.

Is there any show out there that actually beats it? I hear Homeland is the closest thing to it in terms of greatness?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    Best show I've seen in my life.

Season 4 was the best.

Season 2 was absolute muck as was 5.

But 1,3 and 4 were unbelievable.

Is there any show out there that actually beats it? I hear Homeland is the closest thing to it in terms of greatness?

Can I hazard a guess here and ask if you've only watched Season 2 once? I didn't like it the first time either, watch it again. It's a fantastic season!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

season 2 was a good season but some of the characters just annoyed the pants off me. ziggy in particular I hate, just can not stand the bastard and the main lads son as well.. dont hate him as much as ziggy but he still annoys me unbelievably.

season 5 was weak, just weak. the school bits were good, I liked seeing pres find his place in life and grow as a person but the whole mcnulty serial killer bit was stupid. didn't like it at all. Sure it made for some comedy between bunk and jimmy, and the excellent scene where bunk brings freeman in to try and convince jimmy to stop and freeman jumps right on board but in general it was just awful.

so the wire.. amazing tv show, absolutely incredible.. but season 5 was just too bad for it to be the best tv show ever. That honour goes to Deadwood.

--edit

oh wait, season 5 was the newspaper wasn't it not the schools. well same thing, I liked the newspaper bit too. The "main" guy in that I really felt for, being squeezed from all sides and just trying to be a good journalist. Serial killer bit was still godawful.

• Advertisement

Funglegunk wrote: »

Can I hazard a guess here and ask if you've only watched Season 2 once? I didn't like it the first time either, watch it again. It's a fantastic season!

Yep just the once.

As the previous poster said I found Ziggy the most annoying character ever. Couldn't stand the Greeks or any of the others. I just didnt like the port. Really missed the neighbourhood

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

season 2 was a good season but some of the characters just annoyed the pants off me. ziggy in particular I hate, just can not stand the bastard and the main lads son as well.. dont hate him as much as ziggy but he still annoys me unbelievably.
    Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    As the previous poster said I found Ziggy the most annoying character ever. Couldn't stand the Greeks or any of the others. I just didnt like the port. Really missed the neighbourhood

You do realise this was the idea of his character - a grating, corrosive guy with serious mental issues who doesn't have any sort of a connection with his father and so falls through the cracks of society- exactly like the kids in season 4. You cannot critique a show by saying you don't like a character personally and insinuate this is detrimental to the season as a whole.

Most people don't like season 2 because generally it is watched immediately following season 1 which is filled with the exotic other (black America in this case) in the poverty stricken streets of baltimore which most viewers get sucked into and orientalise the subject (in Edward Said's sense of the term). Then when season 2 comes along concerning white industrial workers viewers get bored and long for the other which they can only see in deprived streets of baltimore. Simply people prefer watching poor black Americans because we have no real sense of this world and so it interests us more than say the struggle of white industrial workers as we can see this in our own country all the time.

Season 5 was excellent. It probably was the most referential season too; not just previous seasons but literature from throughout humanity. It had a strong Oedipus Rex theme running through with Jimmys quest to save Baltimore on his own without seeing his own mistakes. The idea that this was unrealistic but Hamsterdam was realistic is ridiculous. It was also a wonderful and damning interrogation of print journalism. It was a fine season.

The show was very complex piece for television and will be recognised as a wonderful artistic creation for a long long time.

Mardy Bum wrote: »

You do realise this was the idea of his character - a grating, corrosive guy with serious mental issues who doesn't have any sort of a connection with his father and so falls through the cracks of society- exactly like the kids in season 4. You cannot critique a show by saying you don't like a character personally and insinuate this is detrimental to the season as a whole.

Excuse me but I will dislike season 2 based on the characters if the mood so pleases. Who on earth do you think you are telling me I cannot critique a show. That's the whole point of this thread - to share your opinion.

I did not like season 2, end of.

Thought 1, 3 and 4 were incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Not gonna do much posting on this forum for a while because I can't read spoilers (I'm still on series 2, one episode left) but yeah the Wire is the best I've ever seen. So many amazing characters and the dialogue is incredible.

Agreed that season 2 was a bit slow to get going compared to season 1 (a lot of time spent getting the old crew together, not as much in terms of excitement happening on the docks as in Season 1 on the street) but its still fascinating and once it got going midway through it's been great. I didn't like Ziggy as a person either but the scene where he finally cracked was one of the greatest moments so far!

what about hell on wheels and weeds

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Two Tone from Limehouse

Sopranos war better in my opinion. Liked the wire but thought it was a little overrated...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

It's my favourite.

However, that may change if the ending of breaking bad is as good as I hope it is.

so what do u thing so far of breaking bad

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

so what do u thing so far of breaking bad

In terms of entertainment it is up there with The Wire. In terms of artistic merit it is a derivative show that doesn't even come close to The Wire.

• Advertisement

that's so true..but I do like breaking bad.....going to start all over again and watch wire as not seen it for about a year

Advertisement