Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your ice-cream van growing up

Options
  • 15-04-2014 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Still have the same ice- cream van in my area for the last 25 years

On top of selling cones, 99s, and boats, it would also sell the likes of chomps, wham bars, desperate dan bars, roy of the rovers, banshee bones, hot lips etc - pretty standard stuff.

For a short period in the mid to late 90s, there was a rival van who would come around and sell playstation 1 games! had them taped to the sliding window facing out

Was there any oddities that your ice-cream van sold over the years?

van in the estate over used to have the match of the day theme for its siren

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Cigarettes, bangers and fireworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I heard rumours of hash in one estate near me, and how it would come along with the cheery bell ringing and a bunch of lads in their late teens & 20's would come running out like little kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Rory Gallagher

rubadub wrote: »
    I heard rumours of hash in one estate near me, and how it would come along with the cheery bell ringing and a bunch of lads in their late teens & 20's would come running out like little kids.

An estate near me had similar accusations drawn towards it.

One van was rumoured as having the ice cream men in it that spat in the Ice Cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

One van was rumoured as having the ice cream men in it that spat in the Ice Cream.
    I rarely believe these stories, well not to the extent that people make out, it doesn't make sense why the food industry would be such a magnet for such low-life scumbags. When you go to study at cathal brugha street you'd swear there's an entrance exam to make sure you're a degenerate with no morals!

The ice cream men presumably might want to eat some the odd time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

My mother wouldn't let me use them on claims of poor hand hygiene, and in the knowledge that even if she gave me the money to go get one from the real shop it was too far to bother walking. Using my own laziness as a weight control method...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

I did a show on radio about songs that should be converted to whippy van chimes- went brilliant

Advertisement