Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ravens Terrace traffic route change

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 morgan 3

:mad:1 Raven's Terrace will close for traffic.
    2 There will be 2way traffic outside Jashmir and Monroes.
    there is going to lots of crashes there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I saw some clown plough through traffic cones and signs today trying to turn right into oncoming traffic on the lane that used to be the right turn there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

The revenue may be raised by the Community Wardens .. great lark, spend the day with a coffee in Gourmet Tart, issue tix to people who park for longer than 15 mins!

Are they recruiting? ;)

Links234 wrote: »
    I saw some clown plough through traffic cones and signs today trying to turn right into oncoming traffic on the lane that used to be the right turn there...

I have realised, while going through the new junction where the Bodkin used to be, that old habits die hard. If you have travelled the same route for years, it takes a bit of time to get into a new groove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Links234 wrote: »

Sigh, saw this this morning also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭what_traffic

So what's peoples experience of the new layout? Via foot, bike, bus or car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Anyone have any photos? Used to live beside Day Break so would be interesting to see the new layout :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Looks like it will still be a through-road, so no joy for the people who want to go drinking outside the salthouse!

The one-way will be entered from McGuires shop, turn right at Gourmet Tart, past Fine Wines and exit between the lights/garage (There is also a slip exit/entrance opposite the statue of Fr. Griffin)

-EDIT- This is a guess, as i've only seen between Gourmet Tart Co. and the lights, which has one-way arrows on it.

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Looks like it will still be a through-road, so no joy for the people who want to go drinking outside the salthouse!

If that turns out to be the case, then I suspect the implications will extend to more than drinking and dining al fresco.

I walked through there last Saturday and stopped briefly for a bite at Gourmet Tart. It was far from finished so unfortunately too early to form a definite opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

So what's peoples experience of the new layout? Via foot, bike, bus or car?

I tried it on the bike downhill from Fairhill Rd/Claddagh school on Thursday week. The lights turned red as I came up to them - a car was pulling away in front of me. I stopped in the sensor loop - a car pulled up behind me - outside the sensor loop. The lights went through a full cycle - including a right turn for cars turning right towards monroes and then going green for cars coming from Monroes direction.

The lights then went back to a straight through green. The arm I was on did not get a green signal. I then pulled forward over the stop line - which is illegal and technically red light jumping. I beckoned the driver behind to pull forward into the sensor loop.

This time we got a green light.

It would be interesting to try the same experiment coming from Dominick st. Might need two bikes to do it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

Sensor loops are a pain. had to call a car up on the Father Griffin rd/Ave junction this morning. I think she thought i was giving her abuse at first, the joys of waiting for the green light :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

topcat77 wrote: »
    Sensor loops are a pain. had to call a car up on the Father Griffin rd/Ave junction this morning. I think she thought i was giving her abuse at first, the joys of waiting for the green light :-D

The problem with the sensor loops is that motorists have started waiting 1-2 car lengths behind the white lines, but the sensor loops are within 3 feet of the white lines.

In the present context the problem with sensor loops is that they do not detect cyclists. I was stuck on red here recently. It appears that the first induction loop is 2-3 car lengths (10-15 metres) from the stop line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

topcat77 wrote: »
    about 8.15? i think that was me beside you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    In the present context the problem with sensor loops is that they do not detect cyclists.

Well it won't help cyclists then if cars that are waiting also fail to trigger the sensors.

antoobrien wrote: »
    Well it won't help cyclists then if cars that are waiting also fail to trigger the sensors.

Cars do trigger the sensors.

Bikes don't, and it is ludicrous that cyclists have to depend on the random appearance of motor vehicles to go about their business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Simple solution to these problems, have a push button thingy at the side of junctions that cyclists can press when they roll up.

That would be awkward at times. For example, where there are left, straight on and right turn options.

What's wrong with configuring traffic signals to detect and facilitate bikes? The technology is there. What's missing is the political will and the engineering competence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Works still ongoing.

Anyone remember what tree I was on about here? I've gone blank
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72508021&postcount=3

Bonus point for a pun.
    I presume that tree is gone, I'll have a look later

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

My dog misses that little patch of grass, she used to relieve herself there :eek:

Liquid fertiliser, I presume?

Just been for a gawk.
    It's been concreted over. The ugly sculpture remains in situ. There really was no reason to remove the tree imo. Loads of space for it to flourish.

Can trees just be removed willy-nilly, or is some sort of permission required?

Can trees just be removed willy-nilly, or is some sort of permission required?
    Council can remove their own trees. Objections are generally glossed over

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

snubbleste wrote: »
    Council can remove their own trees. Objections are generally glossed over

While I like trees, this is a good thing over-all. Nothing worse than some 'save the world' clown (with nothing better for doing) objecting to things like this which stops progress. There's ALWAYS one :pac:

JohnCleary wrote: »
    There's ALWAYS one :pac:

One tree?

How do trees "stop progress"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

One tree?

How do trees "stop progress"?

http://www.tenontours.com/irish-culture/irish-fairies-on-the-n18/

Strange but True

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

I think a fairy tree in that neck of the woods of Galway city has a whole different conotation :p

On a more serious note, it is cringeworthy to see infrastructural progress stifled due to the whims of a minority or in some cases just one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You mean like beside the magical bridge?

Advertisement