Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ravens Terrace traffic route change

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ratracer

This change has been slipped in under the radar with all talk being on the shopping centre lights in the last while. This is a pretty major change to traffic flow in the area. IMO the new two way flow of traffic will make pedestrians/customers at Monroe's very vulnerable to traffic. I also think that the current set of lights here are the least obeyed in the city, the red light here is constantly ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

So
    1 Raven's Terrace will close for traffic.
    2 There will be 2way traffic outside Jashmir and Monroes.

Tbh, I think it will be fine.
    Possbily people will rat-run though the carpark.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

No it has not.
    galwaycyclist has pointed it out a number of times in the past few months plus it's been in the media, Hopefully customers of Monroe's will appreciate that it will no longer be acceptable to park on footpaths or double yellow lines in the area.
    They've put in speed ramps though :eek: maybe they are anticipating a rise in traffic taking left from Salthill, to use O'Briens bridge, as a quicker route through town?

snubbleste wrote: »
    No it has not.
    galwaycyclist has pointed it out a number of times in the past few months plus it's been in the media, Hopefully customers of Monroe's will appreciate that it will no longer be acceptable to park on footpaths or double yellow lines in the area.
    They've put in speed ramps though :eek: maybe they are anticipating a rise in traffic taking left from Salthill, to use O'Briens bridge, as a quicker route through town?

I don't mean on boards, I was speaking generally. It has been pointed out here but the release of information to the general public has been very poor. There has been little info given to residents In the Claddagh. I work down there and have seen very little of what is going to happen in a plan form, bar seeing the road works and the new road linings now in place. And I wasn't referring to people parking outside Monroe's, the problem now is that with parking removed from the street, customers who have been used to parked cars will now be stepping into moving traffic ( maybe while under the influence!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

ratracer wrote: »
    customers who have been used to parked cars will now be stepping into moving traffic ( maybe while under the influence!!!)
    This is highly unlikely to happen. With all the crazy traffic/bikes/other on that street everyone looks both ways anyway when crossing.
    And in any case it's not enough to stop a change of traffic flow (some drunk may step out onto the street and look the wrong way).

Next summer people will be so used to it they would have forcotten what it was like before.

So what will happen to the terrace, pedestrinised? Will Salt House have outdoor serving come summer?
    That would be ****ing sweet btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

so they have just moved the right turn into ravens terrace further up at the traffic lights!

there are 2 lanes at the traffic lights, the left lane is for turning left to go up the hill into the claddagh and the right for going straight on too the tech.

Now the right lane will have both straight thru traffic and people trying to turn into dominick street. Thats madness!

I thought the whole point of this was to eliminate the right turns at raven terrace, not make things worse.

all they had to do was eliminate the right turn into ravens terrace, problem solved!

I hope so too. The footpath at o brine bridge seems to be getting extended right across he road once the traffic flow changes. Raven terrace will be completely pedestrianised. It would be quite pretty to have on street seating there along the canal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

biko wrote: »
    So what will happen to the terrace, pedestrinised? Will Salt House have outdoor serving come summer?
    ratracer wrote: »
    It would be quite pretty to have on street seating there along the canal

I had to Google "Salt House", and I see that it's on Raven Terrace, beside Gourmet Tart. Both establishments are suitable for outdoor seating.

I think outdoor seating, properly managed and regulated, adds greatly to any street (even in Galway weather :)). It would be a really attractive and popular canal-side spot I reckon.

My one concern would be that if Raven Terrace is to be entirely 'pedestrianised' then this will cause problems with cycle access and possible conflict with pedestrians.

AFAIK, one of the Coke Zero shared bike docking stations is to be sited on a corner of Raven Terrace. Users of the shared bikes coming from the Spanish Arch or Claddagh side are highly unlikely to go round by the new junction opposite the fire station.

That said, I have only seen the drawings so far, so the new layout in reality may well be a model of permeability and easy access.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

flynnlives wrote: »
    so they have just moved the right turn into ravens terrace further up at the traffic lights!

there are 2 lanes at the traffic lights, the left lane is for turning left to go up the hill into the claddagh and the right for going straight on too the tech.

Now the right lane will have both straight thru traffic and people trying to turn into dominick street. Thats madness!

I thought the whole point of this was to eliminate the right turns at raven terrace, not make things worse.

all they had to do was eliminate the right turn into ravens terrace, problem solved!

Nope.
    The right lane will now be a right turn only.
    The left lane will be straight ahead / left.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

biko wrote: »
    This is highly unlikely to happen. With all the crazy traffic/bikes/other on that street everyone looks both ways anyway when crossing.
    And in any case it's not enough to stop a change of traffic flow (some drunk may step out onto the street and look the wrong way).

Next summer people will be so used to it they would have forcotten what it was like before.

That would be ****ing sweet btw.

Retractable bollards both ends of the street and benches + tables outside for Salt House and GTC would be brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Seaneh wrote: »
    Retractable bollards both ends of the street and benches + tables outside for Salt House and GTC would be brilliant.

Can't see this happening. The layout says no through traffic. There is car parking though the lenght of the terrace so they are not going to put bollards up.

Anyone been through yet?
    What are the speed ramps like? Traffic heavier than normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭what_traffic

zarquon wrote: »
    Can't see this happening. The layout says no through traffic. There is car parking though the lenght of the terrace so they are not going to put bollards up.

Does that mean you will still be able to right turn onto Raven Terrace from the Wolfe Tone Bridge if you want to park on Raven Terrrace?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Anyone been through yet?
    What are the speed ramps like? Traffic heavier than normal?

Went through about half an hour ago. Lights weren't turned on so everyone was taking it nice and slowly. One very confused person trying to come out the side road by kashmir. Didn't see any speed bumps other than at the entrance and exit of the car park.
    Ravens terrace was completely closed from the arch side don't know if this is just during the rest of the works or the intended layout

The work ain't half done.

Went through the junction today from Fairhill Road going towards Wolfe Tone Bridge. The lights sequencing looks to have stopped vehicles blocking the junction like in the past when vehicles would stop on the yellow box when travelling from Fr. Griffen Road. Will have to have a few more trips through the junction too confirm. They were digging up the old road outside Gourmet Tart this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭ballinadog

The work ain't half done.

correct, wont be finished for another 3 weeks...

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I had to Google "Salt House", and I see that it's on Raven Terrace, beside Gourmet Tart. Both establishments are suitable for outdoor seating.

I think outdoor seating, properly managed and regulated, adds greatly to any street (even in Galway weather :)). It would be a really attractive and popular canal-side spot I reckon.

My one concern would be that if Raven Terrace is to be entirely 'pedestrianised' then this will cause problems with cycle access and possible conflict with pedestrians.

AFAIK, one of the Coke Zero shared bike docking stations is to be sited on a corner of Raven Terrace. Users of the shared bikes coming from the Spanish Arch or Claddagh side are highly unlikely to go round by the new junction opposite the fire station.

That said, I have only seen the drawings so far, so the new layout in reality may well be a model of permeability and easy access.

ravens terrace wont be entirely pedestrianised...

ballinadog wrote: »
    ravens terrace wont be entirely pedestrianised...

Will the access for vehicles be from the arch side or the dominick street side when the work is completed? Couldn't really make it out on the drawing above

It's only when these schemes are finished that I can fully appreciate how they actually function.

• Advertisement

It's only when these schemes are finished that I can fully appreciate how they actually function.

Have to agree until everything is in place it is hard to tell how well it will work and how it will affect the use of the junction by all users. If it just stops the ignoring of red lights at the fire station it will be a big improvement

Will the access for vehicles be from the arch side or the dominick street side when the work is completed? Couldn't really make it out on the drawing above

from the dominick st side but in all honesty there wont be much traffic going down it... it'll have coloured asphalt and be one of these "shared surfaces"... i envisage once people realise it'll no longer be a through road (only leading to a carpark) only delivery lorries and customers of gourmet tart/mc guires will actually use it

Will it turn into a parking lot?

Will it turn into a parking lot?
    Yup looks like it. It's a big money maker for City Council. Also plans here for a right turn ban from the Claddagh Basin.

The drawings seem to show limited parking spaces, with a 15-minute limit, so I doubt it's intended as a revenue-raising municipal car-parking area.

I was thinking more along the lines that a "shared space" which is no longer a through road will simply turn into a handy informal parking spot.

Depends on layout and accessibility perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭mackjark

Went through the last couple of days from the bridge. Not sure why the builders have left cones blocking the right lane. Seems to defeat the purpose of putting it there. But they'll be moved in due course. The changes make sense as people turning right at Raven Terrace, me included, were causing back ups all the way down to the docks. Subjectively traffic seems to have eased along the docks also helped by the opening up of the lane outside the new Cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The drawings seem to show limited parking spaces, with a 15-minute limit, so I doubt it's intended as a revenue-raising municipal car-parking area.

The revenue may be raised by the Community Wardens .. great lark, spend the day with a coffee in Gourmet Tart, issue tix to people who park for longer than 15 mins!

Is there an official deadline date for this project?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

The revenue may be raised by the Community Wardens .. great lark, spend the day with a coffee in Gourmet Tart, issue tix to people who park for longer than 15 mins!

Can't really complain though, free set down parking for 15 minutes. If i want to stay for a while there are other long term parking spaces nearby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 morgan 3

jkforde wrote: »
    fyi...

" GalwayCityCo Traffic Route Change at raven terrace from 11am Mon 25th very strange:mad::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Advertisement