Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

Is a wood burner preferred to multifuel?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

ebayissues wrote: »
    Is a wood burner preferred to multifuel?

Personally no, multi fuel you can burn what you like including timber, with a wood burner you are limited
    Imagine being able to burn a little turf then timber and a some coal if you want, why would you limit yourself?

Blowheads wrote: »
    Personally no, multi fuel you can burn what you like including timber, with a wood burner you are limited
    Imagine being able to burn a little turf then timber and a some coal if you want, why would you limit yourself?

I'm a stove noob, I'm trying to gauge what's efficient, better.
    Tho the flexibility to burn tyrf, timber is appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Blowheads

I'm a stove noob, I'm trying to gauge what's efficient, better.
    Tho the flexibility to burn tyrf, timber is appealing.

Efficiently depends on what you burn, brown turf bad, anthracite is at the other end of the scale. Same applies to soft or hard wood, air died or kiln dried. You get out based on what you put in, but for flexibility multi gives you this

What kind of stove are you thinking? Boiler or dry, insert, freestanding, cassette, room size?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭shortlegs

What would be a suitable replacement fora Waterford Erin multi-fuel, to heat 14 rads, please? Was thinking about the Lismore.

• Advertisement

Blowheads wrote: »
    Efficiently depends on what you burn, brown turf bad, anthracite is at the other end of the scale. Same applies to soft or hard wood, air died or kiln dried. You get out based on what you put in, but for flexibility multi gives you this

What kind of stove are you thinking? Boiler or dry, insert, freestanding, cassette, room size?

Room size is under 12m2. I'm thinking of fireline/vitae 6k/8/9kw

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Room size is under 12m2. I'm thinking of fireline/vitae 6k/8/9kw

12m2 is not a big room less than 12'X12' . I suspect 6kw it lower

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Summer2020

I read some article about new regulations for stoves from 2022 will have to be more efficient. Would it be a mistake to buy now, or are these newer type compliant stoves on sale now?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Forge83

[HTML][/HTML]
    Summer2020 wrote: »
    I read some article about new regulations for stoves from 2022 will have to be more efficient. Would it be a mistake to buy now, or are these newer type compliant stoves on sale now?

Yes they exist now with the label Eco2022.

Can I plz get pm of reliable contractors that can install a modern inset stove in the dublin north area?

I've gotten supply and quote on installing vitae 6kw inbetwwen 3-4.5k including vat - supply of stove, materials, inserting new flue & labour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Can I plz get pm of reliable contractors that can install a modern inset stove in the dublin north area?

I've gotten supply and quote on installing vitae 6kw inbetwwen 3-4.5k including vat - supply of stove, materials, inserting new flue & labour.

The stove is €1200 ? What kind of flue are they putting in ? Are they lining an existing chimney of putting in new external flue?

Car99 wrote: »
    The stove is €1200 ? What kind of flue are they putting in ? Are they lining an existing chimney of putting in new external flue?

Stove is arround 1000/1200 mark(Vitae 6kw). Existing chimney is being re-lined.

Stove is arround 1000/1200 mark(Vitae 6kw). Existing chimney is being re-lined.

Sounds very expensive at 5k to when stove is only 1-1.2k. 4k to fit a stove and liner. Liners, vermiculate and fitting 6-800 euro. Even if chimney breast is boring opened up and refinished 2-2.5k in total should be tops.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brandonviewer

Looking for a bit of advice about the Henley Apollo 5 insert stove that I had fitted on Saturday. I lit a small enough fire last evening as instructed but I noticed that the wooden mantelpiece got very hot as in you couldn't put your hand on the underside of it after about an hour. The mantle is about 27cms from the top of the stove.
    When the registered installer was doing the original measure up he assured me that this would not be a problem but I am fairly nervous about it.
    Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is there something that I could maybe paint on to the underside or am I looking at a new fire surround??
    Any help would be welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maximus_1

Sounds very expensive at 5k to when stove is only 1-1.2k. 4k to fit a stove and liner. Liners, vermiculate and fitting 6-800 euro. Even if chimney breast is boring opened up and refinished 2-2.5k in total should be tops.

Yeah agree. We had a Vitae 6kw installed this year. Chimney lined, new hearth and a new fireplace surround fittes. Total labour cost for the 2 lads for the day was €300. Bought everything and fitters provided via O'Dowds in Carrick on Shannon. I know things are a little cheaper outside the pale but that's some difference.

Yea I'm a bit suprised by the quotes tbh.

I'm looking at the 4.5k quote and there is 1,200 for lintel installation and actual installation costs of 900, flue pipe 250, hearth 250.

Another quote, labor 800, stove 1100, liner = 550e - what's this?

Another with stove supplied,flue liner and hearth = 2700 ex. Vat.

Yea I'm a bit suprised by the quotes tbh.

I'm looking at the 4.5k quote and there is 1,200 for lintel installation and actual installation costs of 900, flue pipe 250, hearth 250.

Another quote, labor 800, stove 1100, liner = 550e - what's this?

Another with stove supplied,flue liner and hearth = 2700 ex. Vat.

Do you need a new hearth and lintel?

Can the chimney be accessed easily from the roof will a cherry picker be required?

6m liner or 9m liner (flue) required? €250 for a 9M flue liner is about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maximus_1

Looking for a bit of advice about the Henley Apollo 5 insert stove that I had fitted on Saturday. I lit a small enough fire last evening as instructed but I noticed that the wooden mantelpiece got very hot as in you couldn't put your hand on the underside of it after about an hour. The mantle is about 27cms from the top of the stove.
    When the registered installer was doing the original measure up he assured me that this would not be a problem but I am fairly nervous about it.
    Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is there something that I could maybe paint on to the underside or am I looking at a new fire surround??

Not for me to argue with a registered installer but when we put in our stove everywhere we shopped told us the same thing. That our wooden surround would have to be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Having fitted ours like you was a bit nervous about the heat it was just getting too hot for my liking so the wood had to go should have done it from day one

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭snor

Having fitted ours like you was a bit nervous about the heat it was just getting too hot for my liking so the wood had to go should have done it from day one

My set up almost the exact same as yours and my wooden surround does not heat up at all - have a 8kw vitae insert. Should I be worried? Heat output from stove is not good at all I find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭snor

My set up almost the exact same as yours and my wooden surround does not heat up at all - have a 8kw vitae insert. Should I be worried? Height output from stove is not good at all I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

snor wrote: »
    My set up almost the exact same as yours and my wooden surround does not heat up at all - have a 8kw vitae insert. Should I be worried? Height output from stove is not good at all I find.

The mantel (see pic) came out a couple of inches just enough so would catch the heat coming from below which worried me every other part was fine it got to a point where a change had to be made... If yours doesn't catch any significant heat and your happy then no need to change... Your heat output is a different story which could be a number of things which I'm sure some people on here could give better advice on... Mine belts out heat with a mix of dried ash/beech and a shovel of coal

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭eddiek

Have a 20 year old solid fuel stove here with wrap around boiler. Extra rads added over the years and now the stove gives very little heat to room it's in. If we remove the boiler will heat to the room improve?.can run rads on oil only then.thanks for any replies

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

What is the new mantel made from ?

eddiek wrote: »
    Have a 20 year old solid fuel stove here with wrap around boiler. Extra rads added over the years and now the stove gives very little heat to room it's in. If we remove the boiler will heat to the room improve?.can run rads on oil only then.thanks for any replies

Have you thermostatic valves in the roads you could try that. Try setting the thermostat on the pump for the stove higher than the one for the o so it kicks in only when water pipe is hotter.

Slava Ukrainii

Maximus_1 wrote: »
    Not for me to argue with a registered installer but when we put in our stove everywhere we shopped told us the same thing. That our wooden surround would have to be replaced.

Thanks for that maximus 1. I was told that as well in a couple of stove shops but was willing to go with the installers professional advice.
    I'm leaning towards changing the fire surround but might give Henley a shout first for a bit of advice

Thanks skippy along. I'm leaning towards changing the mantle but will talk to Henley first. Your new setup looks like the business. Any idea how much it cost roughly??

yabadabado wrote: »
    What is the new mantel made from ?

It's with a composite or marble

Slava Ukrainii

eddiek wrote: »

Not sure it's a good idea to run a boiler stove empty of water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭misc2013

We have started stove shopping. We've heard the speil about higher end Heta range v "cheaper" Henley etc. Neither of which seem cheap in my book but anyway. So, apparently Henley / cheaper tend to require regular replacement parts vs the higher end_ in this case 400/500in the dif. But, we are not planning to use it everyday as we have OFCH, prob more at the weekends unless particularly cold. It's more for the weekend where it might light all day then in the winter. So, I'm wondering, as a potentially light user, would a Henley be sufficient rather than if relying on it all winter? We only need a 5kW dry lit. No back boiler. Thanks.

Advertisement