Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

State spending €3million on communion rituals

Options
  • 03-07-2011 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

One in ten families is turning to the State for help in paying for first Holy Communion costs.

Some 60 thousand children make their communion in Ireland every year.

The number of people applying for State aid to buy communion and confirmation clothes has risen from 8-thousand in 2009 to 14 thousand this year - at a cost of over three million euro to the taxpayer.

http://newsfeed.eastcoast.fm/2011/07/holy-communions-cost-taxpayers-over-3.html

I heard this on the radio this morning and I think it is a fairly shocking use of tax payer money during a recession.
    That works out at about €214 per person, probably used to buy an outfit that gets worn once and then dumped or resold with no return to the taxpayer.
    Unbelievable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Wearing the school uniform would solve a lot of this.

I don't know why every school board of management doesn't start that rule.
    Maybe some parents are objecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

mikemac wrote: »
    Wearing the school uniform would solve a lot of this..

School should have nothing to do with it. It's a religious service, and IMO Confirmation is already destroyed, wearing those stupid clowns, and there is no sense of occasion in a school uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I have made a submission to Minister Howlin.
    I would encourage anyone else who thinks this is an unnecessary spend on a luxury item to make a submission too.

http://per.gov.ie/comprehensive-review-of-expenditure/
    expenditurereview@per.gov.ie

Ps: Religion is a noticeable omission from the list of areas for saving...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Sent
    Minister Howlin,

I can understand that parents are finding it difficult to finance a
    day that is very important to their child and to them. However, using
    taxpayers money to supplement personal spending on a religious outing
    when times are tough for everyone is plainly wrong. It is essentially
    no different than providing money to a classic car enthusiast because
    an exhibition is coming up.

I wont waste our time listing all the ways €3m spent elsewhere would
    accomplish. Please review this policy.

Regards,
    *me*

• Moderators Posts: 51,708 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Does anyone have any information as to how exactly the parents claim money to buy communion clothes?

Do they just go to some local council/government office and just ask for money to buy communion clothes? And what reasoning does the government have for giving out the money?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

eoin5 wrote:
    Minister Howlin,

I can understand that parents are finding it difficult to finance a
    day that is very important to their child and to them. However, using
    taxpayers money to supplement personal spending on a religious outing
    when times are tough for everyone is plainly wrong. It is essentially
    no different than providing money to a classic car enthusiast because
    an exhibition is coming up

I wont waste our time listing all the ways €3m spent elsewhere would
    accomplish. Please review this policy.

Regards,
    *me*
    As a classic car enthusiast I wholly endorse this suggestion of yours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

koth wrote: »
    Does anyone have any information as to how exactly the parents claim money to buy communion clothes?

Community Welfare Officer has discretion to give money if you put in a claim for exceptional needs

Here are some examples:

Exceptional Needs Payment

An Exceptional Needs Payment is a single payment to help meet essential, once-off, exceptional expenditure, which a person could not reasonably be expected to meet out of their weekly income. For example, the payments can be for special clothing for a person who has a serious illness, bedding or cooking utensils for someone setting up a home for the first time, visiting relatives in hospital or prison, or funeral costs.

Those are good causes^^
    This communion one, not at all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what if the kid is, through no fault of the parents, in a school where there is no uniform only policy? it's not as if people on this board are not more than aware of the difficulties in finding a school which does not practice communion.
    of course it shouldn't happen. but it does. just because you don't agree with it does not mean that it is not a real issue for lots of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

what if the kid is, through no fault of the parents, in a school where there is no uniform only policy? it's not as if people on this board are not more than aware of the difficulties in finding a school which does not practice communion.
    of course it shouldn't happen. but it does. just because you don't agree with it does not mean that it is not a real issue for lots of people.

It may be an issue, but there's no reason why the taxpayer should foot the bill for someone elses religious beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

To be honest I think this is a slightly less evil than some of the other stuff I have heard. A few years a go there was a nun on NewsTalk 106, the George Hook programme I think, who worked in an organisation that provided help and support for prostitutes. Apparently the number of working prostitutes in the state massively increases during the first communion period as women go on the game temporarily to help gathering the money required. Pretty disgusting.

This nun, can’t remember her name, this was years ago, said it was up to the parish priest to decide what was worn. She called for them to declare school uniforms should be worn. For some reason this does not seem to be something that has caught on…

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

It may be an issue, but there's no reason why the taxpayer should foot the bill for someone elses religious beliefs.
    We already do...

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

MrPudding wrote: »
    For some reason this does not seem to be something that has caught on…
    And miss a chance to show off your borrowed wealth, not going to happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the taxpayer foots the bill for grants to sports clubs. well, probably not so much anymore.
    why should my money go to a sport i have no interest in?

plenty of your tax money goes to things you have not interest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

the taxpayer foots the bill for grants to sports clubs. well, probably not so much anymore.

Because that is money set aside for grants for sports clubs. This is Exceptional Needs Payment
    An Exceptional Needs Payment is a single payment to help meet essential, once-off, exceptional expenditure, which a person could not reasonably be expected to meet out of their weekly income. For example, the payments can be for special clothing for a person who has a serious illness, bedding or cooking utensils for someone setting up a home for the first time, visiting relatives in hospital or prison, or funeral costs.

This money which is set aside for essential things is being used for non-essential things.

I've also emailed a letter to expenditurereview@per.gov.ie. Looking forward to a response, if any.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Are you talking community sports clubs? Sport is a benefit to any child or any community. Better the kids be out exercising and developing a team spirit than hanging around outside a Spar.

The only people who benefit from this travesty are the dressmakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭travnett

mikemac wrote: »
    Community Welfare Officer has discretion to give money if you put in a claim for exceptional needs

Here are some examples:

Exceptional Needs Payment

Those are good causes^^
    This communion one, not at all

I'm sorry but i don't think this is an "exceptional or essential need" If someone can't even afford to buy these things essentials then maybe they shouldn't be setting up home. Maybe they wouldn't be able to meet their repayments on rent or mortgage if cash is so tight that they can't buy these things.

I think it is absolutely ridiculous that they would give money away for things like that. If I found out that my friends got money from the council for stuff like this I'd be pretty angry with them.

I'm sorry if I feel like a heartless bastard but it's policies like this that make a mockery of the government. I am also in agreement that they shouldn't be giving money for communions especially for communion dresses. If parents are that hard off then maybe the county councils should set up a second hand communion dress pool where they can rent them out to the parents for free.

Religion should have nothing to do with how a country is run or how our policies are formed. Ireland after all is a multi culture which a huge diverse of religions. As it has being said in other threads if parents want their kids to make their communion and/or confirmation then this should be done and prepared for outside the school time. As this time is effecting the kids who are not going to make their communion by taking the learning time away from them.

travnett wrote: »
    If someone can't even afford to buy these things essentials then maybe they shouldn't be setting up home. Maybe they wouldn't be able to meet their repayments on rent or mortgage if cash is so tight that they can't buy these things.
    begs the question about what they're meant to do for accomodation so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

begs the question about what they're meant to do for accomodation so.

Rent? There's plenty of fully furnished places out there.

he excludes rent too.

anyway, my point is that when the state funds primary schools and does not provide anything approaching an adequate alternative to the catholic-run option, the state should deal with the consequences of the extra expenses inherent when they are funding schools which really don't have an opt-out option for parents.
    most parents have no choice but to send their kids to a school where communion is handled as a part of the BAU of the school day.
    this is merely a consequence of a much greater issue.

• Advertisement

Lets be honest here, people getting themselves into debt or coming to the state with begging bowl in hand over the cost of the communion is not really the churches fault in this particular case.

If you can't afford something, don't buy it.

the communion is not really the churches fault in this particular case.
    if the school patron is the church, the church is in a good position to change the school policy regarding dress during communion. my niece is in a private girls school and they have a uniform only policy - and this is in an area where being able to afford communion dresses would not generally be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

he excludes rent too.

What do you mean? I meant that if you can afford to move into a house there are plenty you can rent that come furnished and don't need you buying your own. If you can't even afford rent then that's a different issue. One that imo is less black and white and I can understand society trying to help people not become homeless. If for no other reason than self protection as desperate people will resort to desperate actions.
    I just don't see why the state should have to buy appliances for people as the only ones I can see needing it are those that seem to think you need to own your own place.

if the school patron is the church, the church is in a good position to change the school policy regarding dress during communion. my niece is in a private girls school and they have a uniform only policy - and this is in an area where being able to afford communion dresses would not generally be a problem.

That would be preferable, but it in the end of the day if people who can't afford it insist on placing themselves in debt because they insist on having expensive dresses or what not they've only themselves to blame. Its not like its sprung on them out of the blue.

If I was in charge of that fund, I'd tell them to feck off and start saving for next year like everyone else has to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

These people would probably buy the dress anyway, even if it meant going without food or heating. But I would let them do that, then give them a special grant afterwards for the food/ fuel just to make the point that a communion outfit is not a "necessary expense." Plus, going hungry for a few days concentrates the mind.

If I was in charge of that fund, I'd tell them to feck off and start saving for next year like everyone else has to.
    not everyone has the luxury of saving. not everyone has the luxury of sending their kids to an educate together school. not everyone has the luxury of being able to swallow their pride and not give their kid a day out when the kid thinks it's a big day.

the issue of religion is clouding the fact that this is a big deal in irish society, and it does place people under financial hardship. don't forget there are christmas 'bonuses' handed out to a *hell* of a lot more people than qualify for this payment, and i've yet to hear anyone begrudging that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

the issue of religion is clouding the fact that this is a big deal in irish society, and it does place people under financial hardship. .

OK, definitive answer, in Cork, Mannix should give cheaper communion cloths.

Back in 1985 we were given a present of a jacket; it was £70 [Irish Punt] the salesman said it was great value and my son looked great.

My son did look great, but it was far from 'value' I paid £25 for a full suit for myself and £40 for my wife's wedding outfit six years earlier which she was wearing to the Communion, with a new blouse and other bits for £6 from Penny's.

I told the salesman in no uncertain terms that it was FAR from value for money and if it had not been a present I would certainly NOT be paying his 'hi-way robbery' for a jacket for a five year old.

not everyone has the luxury of saving. not everyone has the luxury of sending their kids to an educate together school. not everyone has the luxury of being able to swallow their pride and not give their kid a day out when the kid thinks it's a big day.

the issue of religion is clouding the fact that this is a big deal in irish society, and it does place people under financial hardship. don't forget there are christmas 'bonuses' handed out to a *hell* of a lot more people than qualify for this payment, and i've yet to hear anyone begrudging that.

So we should pay for their pride, sorry I don't buy that. As for the Christmas bonus I'm happy to see that scam ended. Beggars can't be choosers.

so they shouldn't get an extra bit during the most financially stressful period of the year?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

so they shouldn't get an extra bit during the most financially stressful period of the year?
    At 5.8%, that's fine with me.

Advertisement