Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Learning to swim as an adult

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

colly3 wrote: »
    Are you still learning GG or have you reached your goal?

Still learning but I have come so far in a relatively short space of time. I say relatively short because even though it's about seven months since I started I have to really squeeze in the lessons because I have two boys, ages 5 and 2, and obviously they take up a huge amount of my time. But it's another reason for me to keep at it because I'll be able to take them to the pool and not worry about myself.

But I can't thank my instructor enough, he has been absolutely brilliant with me. Once you have someone you are comfortable with it makes a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kris71

Get onto the iws they are the best instructors and will have anyone swimming in a couple weeks/months garaunteed!

Nothing against IWS I'm a member myself but this is a biggest bs I've heard about swimming instructors ever.

Its not about the programme you were tutored in but your experience, personality, patience, ability to recognize and address tiny little errors in movement (and believe it or not there is a lot of them and some of them are very individual and unique), being open minded enough to adapt technology like cameras or mirrors and most of all, people you work with that you can learn from and other resources available to us thanks to an internet and SI that allow us to improve our knowledge about swimming what makes one a great swimming instructor, not a few weeks long swimming instructor course.

I will back up Burkatron here with my both hands. If you are a beginner and your instructor during 1-1 session refuse to get into the water with you (you don't have to request this, if he can't see the fact that you are terrified or doesn't have enough empathy and common sense to get into the water with you seeing this he should start looking for a different job) then seriously consider finding a different instructor.

I always do my 1-1 classes in the water and here is why:
    1) Demonstration, I can demonstrate the skill exactly the way it is being used in swimming (sure you can try to do it from the bank but you can only try to adapt this movement to a completely different environment)
    2) Safety and comfort, an instructor on the bank can always jump in or pass you a reaching pole, but it takes time, seconds only but during those seconds, your confidence go down so much that some people don't come back to swimming lessons after being picked up by a swimming instructor or a lifeguard from the pool. Imagine yourself you are going back home after something like that and your wife asks you how did the lesson go, and you are: great, dude had to jump in, in his clothes to save my life, swimming is so much fun I'm telling you... non of these happens while an instructor is already in the water with you, he can save your life 10 times during the lesson and you won't even know he had to, you will know that something was wrong but you don't have to experience a trauma of those few long seconds when you are awaiting for rescue, to learn how to do it properly.
    3) Manual assist, with hands on technique I'm not only able to support your body in the water but also correct movement patterns and position of individual parts of your body, witch on the end of the day results in much better swimming technique.
    4) In swimming it doesn't matter what you do above the water but under, and to clearly see what is happening underwater you have to put your head underwater as well (you can also use camera but there is a lot of restriction in their use in Ireland) so from the bank I will be missing on a lot of details that are very important for swimming technique.
    5) Communication, I'm a nice person and I don't like to yell at people, while on the bank I have no other option. Plus every time we talk when I'm teaching from the bank I'm above you no matter how tall you are, I'm not sure how much psychological impact this might have for your ability to express your concerns, or opinions but it certainly has some. This dialogue is quite important, as it makes you think more, of what you are doing and it gives me the feedback on areas that needs to be addressed more from your point of view (and yes your own feelings and your point of view IS important, after all you know your body and mind way much better then anyone else except your gp and your shrink, if you have one)
    6) Last but not least I simply love swimming so I enjoy being in the water with you much more then watching you from the bank, last one can sound a bit selfish but trust me you don't want to have a teacher without a passion for his job, or even passionate one being frustrated about it for numerous different reasons.

As you can see there is a few things missing when your instructor is on the bank. On the end of the day it should be your call, if you prefer your instructor to stay on the bank, trust me it can be organized, but it should be an option, a wrong one in my opinion, not the way it goes.

The only advantage of an instructor being on the bank (in my opinion) can be seen during group lessons, as it helps to discipline children and supervise them, having this said I have to mention that a lot of schools are hiring additional water teacher so he can be in the water while second teacher is on the bank. Very powerful combination of both ways. If you can see another teacher in the water durring your child swimming lessons it is a good sign that you are in good hands. If not, suggest this to the swim coordinator, if enough people will ask for it there is a chance they will find an extra 9 euro for an assistant teacher.
    Another solution that I'm testing at the moment is something similar to parent and toddler class for older children, works really well, as parents are giving 1-1 supervision and instruction and teacher does all demonstration and works with parents and children together.
    If you are a swimming instructor and want to discuss this further or if you are working for a big company and you don't have an opportunity to discuss and test innovative ideas email me at kris@swimming.ie and I might be able to help ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭capefear

Hi Guys
    Roughly how much would you expect to pay for one on one swimming lessons in dublin city or south side. I can do sessions any time during the day, morning, day time evening time. As I always wanted to swim and its now time to do this. Thanks also for everyone for posting there stories as it was good to read im not alone in my fears.

well done to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

capefear wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    Roughly how much would you expect to pay for one on one swimming lessons in dublin city or south side. I can do sessions any time during the day, morning, day time evening time. As I always wanted to swim and its now time to do this. Thanks also for everyone for posting there stories as it was good to read im not alone in my fears.

well done to all.

Its between 50/60 euro....It would be cheaper to get a group session of lessons with others like yourself....If your in Dublin I'd recommend you email the email above your post.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

mad m wrote: »
    Its between 50/60 euro....It would be cheaper to get a group session of lessons with others like yourself....If your in Dublin I'd recommend you email the email above your post.....

Is there anywhere in Dublin charging this anymore?? when I was leaving Ballsbridge most of the local pools had dropped the prices to €30-€40 & even then people were giving out about the price been too much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

I think in one of Ben Dunnes Gym it was 30 a half hour....As you said they are copping on and dropping prices....Good news for new beginners...

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kris71

aura group still keeps 40 per 40min and you have to buy 5 up front there ;) 30e per 30 min session is most popular now

Truth is, it is usually up to the pool operator rather then swimming instructors themselves, those prices won't go down until they won't go down with rent. I'm being lucky to work with really sound people so I'm able to go down with the price now, but I had different experiences in different places, and I had to resign from doing one to one in a most of them as some are just nuts. Others won't let you in at all, even if you have every cert in the world and you are insured from just about anything, they will still tell you to build your own pool. Some are just greedy and those are the worst. So here is the tip for anyone who will ever try to rent a pool try to skip as many levels of management and go straight to the people who are making actual decisions, make sure they understand that you are no competition to their own lessons but an asset, and try not to get ripped of %) And if that won't work, well just buy one ticket for yourself and one for your client and of you go ;) some places have problems with this as well, funny enough when John comes with his almost a girlfriend to the pool and tries to teach her how to swim everything is fine but once someone fully trained to do it, with his own insurance comes over to do similar it is suddenly a big issue ;) If thats the case keep it low profile and claim you have big family ;)
    It's a funny businesses.

Advertisement