Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

anyone have any problems with Windows 8.1?

• 27-07-2014 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭

Got a new laptop last xmas a HP Envy and was very happy with WOT gameplay. When I updated windows to 8.1 , WOT has never been the same, frequent freezes and general grinding. Ive done the obvious system clean ups and closing down of some windows services but just wondering if there is anything in particular that can be done, is there any known bugs that can be fixed?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,034 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Runs flawless on 8.1 for me.

But it's a laptop though, so try logging the GPU temps when playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭VikingG

Have you BitLocker enabled? I had an issue with hard drive encryption crippling the game in win 7.

AFAIK BitLocker is enabled by default

http://www.howtogeek.com/173592/windows-8.1-will-start-encrypting-hard-drives-by-default-everything-you-need-to-know/

If you want to keep BitLocker then just create a 2nd partition and move WOT to there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

cheers, Ill check out those over the next few days. I downloaded a temp program for the graphics chip and it has a range of 30C in sleep mode to 70C when playing the game but not sure if its excessive

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭VikingG

Nothing wrong with 70 degrees...... pretty normal for game playing

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

VikingG wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with 70 degrees...... pretty normal for game playing

No idea what my laptop temp is....feels pretty hot. (I think my fan has stopped working properly too...darn you 3 yr old Toshiba)
    The onboard system monitor rates it as 90% of capacity when I am paying WoT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ChalyIE

With the update also the driver for the graphic card was changed. Maybe this is the reason? Try a newer and if necessary also some older version.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Ive turned down the graphics features on WOT to minimum and that seems to have worked. Will check out those ideas as well thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,034 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Could be a coincidence, but since it sounds graphics related:

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/416818-sli-660-trouble-fix-discovered/

Advertisement