Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Derek Mooney Show *MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Bad connection to Baku or is it just me. Just Imagine if jedward don't make it through tonight ? Can joe do an extra stint tomorrow if that happens ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

RTÉ couldn't afford to send poor Larry Gogan out to cover the Eurothing next Saturday as they have done for centuries, but they can send Mooney out for a week to act the gom, behave like a 12 year old infatuated girl and generally make a tit of himself. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Who exactly is paying for this trip?!? RTE, I presume??

i.e. the Irish taxpayer. (i.e ME!!) :mad::mad:

Sure, some people are interested in the Eurovision but who the hell thinks its necessary to send this eejit, who talks about nothing else than this crap, to Azerbaijan or wherever the hell it is. What a horrible waste of money, can't he do his usual inane Eurovision guff from Montrose?! How much money does the inept RTE management cost this country again?

Infuriating, wasteful, scandalous...I'm choking on my own rage here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

~They still have RTE1 on here. :(

Mooney sounds very excited. Over-excited in fact....I actually fear for the studio walls and ceiling at this stage.

Really. For someone of his age to be brimming with such exuberance at the notion of following theses two knuckleheads to Eurotrash glory, defies description tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Lapin wrote: »
    RTÉ couldn't afford to send poor Larry Gogan out to cover the Eurothing next Saturday as they have done for centuries, but they can send Mooney out for a week to act the gom, behave like a 12 year old infatuated girl and generally make a tit of himself. :confused:

Maybe Derek is doing it for free?

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    Maybe Derek is doing it for free?

Listening to him, I'm beginning to form the impression that he paid his own fare to get out there.

Mrs. Grimes might want to consider getting some kind of barring order :rolleyes:

jesus wept! that Paul "G"?? is one boring twat. What a fabulous life he must lead, being able to conjure up Eurovision stats at the drop of a Vaseline tub cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Lapin wrote: »
    RTÉ couldn't afford to send poor Larry Gogan out to cover the Eurothing next Saturday as they have done for centuries

I find RTE's decisions very curious as well.. they send Paul O'Flynn to China to cover Katie Talor's fights, Tommie Gorman to Mauritius to cover the trial of the murderers of Michaela McAreavy, and Mooney and his team to Azerbaijan .... Not that all dont have some justification, but this is an organisation that is seriously loss making and telling us that they are pulling out all the stops to bring things back in order.

Tommie O'Gorman to Mauritius is a strange one alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Suzie4

Trafficking in persons:

current situation: Azerbaijan is a source, transit, and destination country for men, women, and children subjected to forced labor, and women and children subjected to sex trafficking; women and some children from Azerbaijan are trafficked to Turkey, the UAE, Russia, and Iran for the purpose of sexual exploitation; men and boys are trafficked to Russia and Moldova for the purpose of forced labor; Azerbaijan serves as a transit country for victims from Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan trafficked to Turkey and the UAE for sexual exploitation; Azerbaijan is also a destination country for men from Turkey and Afghanistan, and Chinese men and women for forced labor
    tier rating: Tier 2 Watch List - Azerbaijan is on the Tier 2 Watch List for not fully complying with the minimum standards for the elimination of trafficking; the Government of Azerbaijan has not made sufficient progress in investigating, prosecuting, or convicting labor trafficking offenses or in identifying victims of forced labor (2011)
    Illicit drugs:

limited illicit cultivation of cannabis and opium poppy, mostly for CIS consumption; small government eradication program; transit point for Southwest Asian opiates bound for Russia and to a lesser extent the rest of Europe

I find RTE's decisions very curious as well.. they send Paul O'Flynn to China to cover Katie Talor's fights, ...but this is an organisation that is seriously loss making and telling us that they are pulling out all the stops to bring things back in order.

And then sent Jimmy Magee out just to do commentary on the semi-final and Final.

2 fights at 8 minutes per bout.

Jimmy hardly flew cattle class to get to Qinhuangdao (had to Google that ;)) either.

The mind boggles as to how RTE could possibly justify the expense at sending him out there for live TV, when they had a man already at ringside whose coverage was perfectly adequate for the radio audience and who would surely have sufficed for TV.

As for this (Eurovision) junket. Just how much is it costing? Already I count Mooney, Marty. the Knucklehead Brothers, four backing singers, Paul Gee, Linda Martin and god knows how many other hangers on and clipboard carriers are out there "representing Ireland".

If these are but two examples of how RTE are bringing things 'back in order' :eek:....... 'telpis!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

i really hope they dont qualify tonight. Mooney has become unbearable to listen to. I wonder what his obsession will be next when the hype of the sausagefest is over.

Suzie4 wrote: »
    Trafficking in persons:

current situation: Azerbaijan is a source, transit, and destination country for men, women, and children subjected to forced labor, and women and children subjected to sex trafficking; women and some children from Azerbaijan are trafficked to Turkey, the UAE, Russia, and Iran for the purpose of sexual exploitation; men and boys are trafficked to Russia and Moldova for the purpose of forced labor; Azerbaijan serves as a transit country for victims from Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan trafficked to Turkey and the UAE for sexual exploitation; Azerbaijan is also a destination country for men from Turkey and Afghanistan, and Chinese men and women for forced labor
    tier rating: Tier 2 Watch List - Azerbaijan is on the Tier 2 Watch List for not fully complying with the minimum standards for the elimination of trafficking; the Government of Azerbaijan has not made sufficient progress in investigating, prosecuting, or convicting labor trafficking offenses or in identifying victims of forced labor (2011)
    Illicit drugs:

limited illicit cultivation of cannabis and opium poppy, mostly for CIS consumption; small government eradication program; transit point for Southwest Asian opiates bound for Russia and to a lesser extent the rest of Europe

Yeah, the place has the reputation of a skunk in a perfume shop, but its a bit late to start complaining about that now.

If other members of the European Broadcasting Union allow places like Azerbaijan to enter the competition in the first place, then we have to be prepared for the fact that they earn the right to host it when they win.

jedrehearsal3.jpg

Mooney brought those outfits to Azerbaijan.

Azeri Customs must have had an eyeful checking his bag :rolleyes:

(mightn't have raised too many eyebrows at Dublin Airport on the way out though :))

MJ23 wrote: »
    i really hope they dont qualify tonight. Mooney has become unbearable to listen to. I wonder what his obsession will be next when the hype of the sausagefest is over.

Euro 2012 ?

Nothing to do with the football of course.

I can picture himself and Brek on a quest to find the curliest orange wig, biggest green hat or the most over the top paddywhackified camper van.

Des Cahill will provide daily updates on how a ticktless group of joxers from Killybunion Golf Club are hitch hiking their way from one game to another with nothing more than a packet of fig rolls and a fistfull of Barry's Gold Blend tea bags between them.
    172404.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

"they had raisons on their Porridge, followed by toast and jam."

i'd rather find out this kind of information from an autopsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

Am looking forward to hearing Mooney tomorrow after what happened with those lovely fairy boys last night. Part of me thinks it was a set-up, what is that exposure going to be worth to Jedward and a little bit of cash could go a long way in Azerbaijan. Really am pleased for Derek and Paul G though, hope they enjoy a good night with Louis and the fairies.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bobba Fett

Jaysus a lot venom here! Ye all need to step away from the radio if it's bothering you that much! By the way, hasn't Derek said that The Sunday World are their "Media Partners"? To me that implies sponsorship, so the usual "it's my money their spending" brigade might want to check that out before they wheel out the same tired argument.

Bobba Fett wrote: »
    By the way, hasn't Derek said that The Sunday World are their "Media Partners"?

I'm not sure that means that The Sunday World are paying for it. I thought it just meant that they threw Eddie Rowley a few quid to contribute to the show when they are out there... and save them flying out another reporter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

Did Derek just giggle at the backround granny song?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭DuckStab

It justht wouldn't be Mooney without a listhping corresthpondanth.

"peace out!"

I was desperately trying to find the clip from Cruel Intentions where she says peace out and gets a response, but it isnt up. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

That press conference sounds awkward and strained. Cringetastic!

"It was like Ireland winning a penalty shoot-out"

NO! NO! No it f'ckin wasn't you moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

europa11 wrote: »
    "It was like Ireland winning a penalty shoot-out"

NO! NO! No it f'ckin wasn't you moron.

The neck of these fcukers equating this sham event to Ireland playing in any game of football

That's the footage of John asking Saluna from Denmark a question after she had been bypassed by the media... Kind of a cool thing to do..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

That's the footage of John asking Saluna from Denmark a question after she had been bypassed by the media... Kind of a cool thing to do..

jaw dropping :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

As role models, they're not the worst - clean living and seem to be nice, decent and well-mannered folks (can't be calling them kids now, they're, what, 19/20 now?). What I do object to is their being called the best thing since sliced bread. They have some charisma, it has to be said, but their time will fade at some stage and most folks with their level of talent will not attain the level of fame / money that they have (and to infer that they will is promoting very unrealistic expectations). They had a massive stroke of luck and caught some wave / zeitgeist that has catapaulted them to where they are now.

Do I begrudge them? Absolutely not. In that respect, fair play to them and I wish them every happiness with whatever money they've made / are making during their time in the spotlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Mooney is afraid to open his mouth about the regime:D

• Advertisement

Mooney is afraid to open his mouth about the regime:D

Well it's not like he's gonna be able to flee across the Iranian border is it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement