Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road Less Traveled: IM 2012

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Me and the rest of the sad/unromantic gits went to the swim tonight. About half didn't show, I presume because they have love lives. Or just lives. :) I probably shouldn't have bothered. This cold is mild enough but still has left me tired and listless. I struggled with the set and had the coach chastise me for coming to training tired. (I'm to park my other training so the swim is good, apparently.) Managed 4 x 25 lateral kick. 4 x 25 one arm. 4 x 25 fc. 100 easy. 12 x 50 paddles and pull. 6 x 100 off 2.30 (meant to be 10 off 2.15 but I hadn't it in me.) swim down with fins. 1800m in total. Poor show but for once am not frustrated. Its just an off day. Plenty of time to have good hard days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oryx wrote: »
    I presume because they have love lives.

I surprised hubby with a couple of 6 packs of these this morning donning a red ribbon (the beer, not me). Keep this tactic in mind for next year.....and then skip the swim practice. ;)

theLoveFixed.png

My hubby isn't even home tonight. :) but I'll bear your tips in mind. Love beer is so cute. Ya auld romantic.

Rest day today. Feel like someone sucked all my energy out of me. Yeah I have a cold, but Im not quite sick I just really dont feel like training, Im tiiiiiiiiired. Posting this to remind me, TAKE MORE REST DAYS. Or this sh!t happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Rest day today. Feel like someone sucked all my energy out of me. Yeah I have a cold, but Im not quite sick I just really dont feel like training, Im tiiiiiiiiired. Posting this to remind me, TAKE MORE REST DAYS. Or this sh!t happens.

We've had the same cold in this house for a week. Feel fine, then 10 mins later totally sapped of energy. I tried an easy run a couple of days ago. 1k easy into a hill run and was zonked. There's no point in training hard through it, just do a bit to tick over. And as many rest days as it takes.

• Advertisement

Ummm....being in the medical field (okay, so it's doggie and kitty medical field, but..) I can honestly tell you that having a cold means you're sick. And being sick makes you tired....but not necessarily cranky. Definitely take rest days from training for they will help keep you healthy and not cranky, but, when you do come down with a cold, respect the effects that that cold can have on your body and mind....and treat that cold with proper rest and nutrition, which I know you will. Mom always said, fluids, fluids, fluids. If it's vitamin C I'm after, I lovelovelove guzzling orange juice poured over crushed ice in a big, tall glass. Take care of yourself missus, or I'll have to fly over there and take care of you myself! ;)

Aw I feel like I just been hugged :)

Don't feel sick today, more like I'm coming out of a general anaesthetic. :) Did an easy turbo to see how the bones feel. Answer? Not so great. Sweating buckets at zero effort, and the legs got nothing. But at least my brain is satisfied that I tried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭ Wells Delicious Gazelle

Get well soon Oryx. BTW just spotted your photo on the main thread, you look fantastic in a tri suit, step aside Chrissie;)
    A real SBR hoochie as MCOS would say

Oaky...where do I find this above referenced photo of Oryx? I need to see for myself so I can put this Barbie idea to bed.

• Advertisement

quid pro quo dory!

So...it's a "I'll show you mine if you show me yours"?

Well, I could look through my mud run pics...... ;)

Kettlebell buff!! Love your purple tri-suit. ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Kettlebell buff!! Love your purple tri-suit. ;)
    Purple and gold! Our club had a different design, mostly yellow, which us chicks refused to wear cos it was so awful, the men of the club told us if we were that upset about it to design our own. So we did. :)

So. Lets be havin' em!

Purple and gold! Our club had a different design, mostly yellow, which us chicks refused to wear cos it was so awful, the men of the club told us if we were that upset about it to design our own. So we did. :)

So. Lets be havin' em!

Well, you look great in purple and gold! Definitely shows off your tough-girl qualities in a feminine way.

Havin' em?? Pics? Oh, I am not worthy. I think you have to have a least three stars under your user name before you are allowed to post photos of yourself. There are minimum standards, you know, to keep the riff-raff out. ;)

Okay....so when did I get three stars!!!!???? :eek:

Sometimes, I hate my 'friends' in the tri club. Today for the swim they had the dive blocks up and everyone was having a go at a dive and sprint. Everyone except me, that is. Apart from the fact that I can't dive, when I mix any kind of height with any kind of water I turn into a whimpering child. I can't explain it and it fks me up. :) Its the reason I had to go back and do winter tough guy THREE times. To complete the 'death plunge'. My darling clubmates would not leave me alone though until I at least climbed the platform. Which I did, and jumped off. Problem is, now that I know this thing has bested me AGAIN, I've now got to learn to dive off the blocks. Damn you swim coach! In other news, even with all the cajoling and interruptions, I got over 2k done. My mojo is coming back. If only I could say the same about my nerve when it comes to diving!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I don't blame you. I don't even like jumping straight into the pool never mind diving in. :)

Do you know exactly what scares you about diving? Fear of hitting the bottom, landing with a belly flop, something else? Deal with that fear and you'll be fine. Try standing poolside and falling in headfirst (arms in front like a diver) while keeping your feet on the surface as long as possible. Now keep doing that until you make as small a splash as possible- then progress to jumping out a little bit as you do it. Pretty soon you'll have swam half the pool before coming up for air.

I did dive from the deck. I can manage it even if its a bit half arsed :) And I can jump in from a height. No fear of water whatsoever. But put me in the start position on the block and I just can't make myself dive. Its a brain thing. Not a clue where it comes from.

• Advertisement

I did dive from the deck. I can manage it even if its a bit half arsed :) And I can jump in from a height. No fear of water whatsoever. But put me in the start position on the block and I just can't make myself dive. Its a brain thing. Not a clue where it comes from.

Ah that's different, you know how to do it, and can do it. Just do it; no better woman for managing the fight or flight response, I would have thought. Brains are overrated anyway.

That was nicer than saying htfu so thank you :) Yeah, now I've got to do it because I can't let it beat me. Stupid brain! :)

When we would teach the little kids to dive off the diving board, we'd have them crouch down close to the board and then they'd push themselves off and into the water at a nice (well, you know...) horizontal. Being close to the board made them feel stable and secure, plus they were that much closer to the water, plus-plus the position facilitated a more parrallel entry into the the water. When you are farther away and diving headfirst, it can be a bit un-nerving. Perhaps try this approach with the blocks. First dive crouched close...then little by little inch up to a more normal position. Think of the block as a mini-diving board....AND MINI-DIVING BOARDS ARE FUN!! Also realize that not only do the blocks with their nice angle allow for a beautiful degree of entry into the water (unlike the deck), but (and this assumes there is some "height fear-factor" involved with your apprehension) in the "on your mark" position on the block, your head isn't really all that much further from the water than when you do a standing dive from the deck (not really)...it's really only your fanny bum that is relatively far from the water's surface....and your bum shouldn't care about that. In fact, your bum (and the spectators) may enjoy that! ;)

I dunno if these are the same as yours. 2 and a bit feet off the water, with no angle. I know, two and half feet pffft.

No angle? Really? Your blocks have no angle? No worries. While standing on the deck, just sit your arse down on the block - don't even climb on it, just scooch your arse on it - then position your legs under your bum, lean in and over, then dive in. You don't even need to ever stand on the block. Sit, squat, lean, dive. No biggie. Make it a game. Even at 2 and a half feet, if you never stand up while on the block, then your head will never be further from the water's surface than when you are standing on the deck. REALLY!!! :)

Thanks. My problem is, I have to do a proper dive off it. :) And I will. I'll let you know how it goes!

Here's one more thought. Scooch your arse on the block....squat....lean in....but then do one hell of a rip-roaring belly flop! Don't even try to dive. Just make it one very juvenile flop into the water and enjoy it!! Make it fun. Who cares if you dive at this point. Just ever so gracefully give us one good flop with no other purpose than to flop. Then stand in that shallow end and smile and laugh!

Thanks. My problem is, I have to do a proper dive off it. :) And I will. I'll let you know how it goes!

Hmmmm....then perhaps ignore my last post..... :(

The annoying part is I never had any inclination to do this, and its of no benefit that I can see, but now I got to, because I can't let it get the better of me. :) Appreciate the tips tho.

And Dory.. *cough* Pictures!

• Advertisement

My absolute last suggestion is for you to pretend the audience is completely naked...but...any way...eh hem......there's no doubt you'll do one most-awsome (if not totally useless) dive off those blocks with or without all of our well-intentioned meddling!

Pictures...I hate pictures of myself...I look like crap. Plus, I hate having to follow you! Good god, you the goddess of the tri.....
    But...just to play along (three stars and all!! woop woop!) I will see what I can find. You may have your photo by nightfall....maybe....mud run....or Achill.....??

Advertisement