Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cowan hasn't read Lisbon Treaty?

Options
  • 11-06-2008 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

i read with some disbelief that Taoiseach Brian Cowan admitted to not having read the text of the Lisbon Treaty. His excuse was that he was involved in the negotiation of it. Seems pretty lame.

i haven't read the full text of it either, but i'm not running the country and pleading with people to vote for it! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I have read the full text, he's not missing much. There are no good dirty bits in it. :)

In fairness, the man has a bunch of legal advisors to do that for him. If I had a trained lawyer at my beck and call to read the treaty and answer questions on it I probably wouldn't have read it.

The only reason I read it was because there's no-one I could trust to do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

To admit to not reading it though looks very bad, politically imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

CtrlSource wrote: »
    i read with some disbelief that Taoiseach Brian Cowan admitted to not having read the text of the Lisbon Treaty. His excuse was that he was involved in the negotiation of it. Seems pretty lame.

i haven't read the full text of it either, but i'm not running the country and pleading with people to vote for it! :rolleyes:

This has been a very misleading tactic of the no side, albeit due to a rather ill-advised comment by the Taoiseach. What he said was that he had not read it cover-to-cover. That's not the same thing as not reading it. He was intimately involved in the negotiations, so I'm sure he's angry that people keep making it sound like he never read any. It's not reasonable to expect him to quote chapter and verse like a bible.

I think the point he was trying to make was that you should be able to make a reasonably informed decision about the treaty without reading it cover to cover. For example concentrate on the clauses that both sides point to.

Ix.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I agree, honesty has no place in politics

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I suggest giving it a go! You'll either laugh at how poorly it's wrote when as all writers tell you you should write with the reader in mind or your head'll explode (This writer takes no responsabilty if it does :) ). Thing is all over the place.

But the problem is where else do you turn. An "impartial" commission that states "We will retain some of our vetoes" but leaves out the rest of the logical impartial sentence "and loose others"

Or , God help us the posters on the lampost.

"Dont be bullied" Huh? without further statement that is bullying.

"Vote yes for more jobs" So wait if I vote yes steve down the street is gonna suddenly have money to open a shop and hire me as an assistant.... again a statement without a "how?" filled in.

It's part of the reason I have decided how I'm voting. Though I wont say here for fear of turning this from lack of information debate to a Yes/No one for now :)

• Advertisement

Exactly :) Remember with all the systems out there only two Irish men have ever won big chunks of money betting on the horses.

1) Martin Cahill (A.K.A The General)
    and
    2) Bertie Ahern

:D:D:D:D:D

ixtlan wrote: »
    This has been a very misleading tactic of the no side, albeit due to a rather ill-advised comment by the Taoiseach. What he said was that he had not read it cover-to-cover. That's not the same thing as not reading it. He was intimately involved in the negotiations, so I'm sure he's angry that people keep making it sound like he never read any. It's not reasonable to expect him to quote chapter and verse like a bible.

I think the point he was trying to make was that you should be able to make a reasonably informed decision about the treaty without reading it cover to cover. For example concentrate on the clauses that both sides point to.

Ix.

So he expects me to add my signature to a blank cheque on something that he hasn't fully read? i know, i know, you'll say it's not a blank cheque. Just using a bit of rhetoric ;)

i should have put the word 'full' in front of the word 'text' in the op. Personally don't expect him to be able to quote it chapter & verse, but wouldn't have thought he'd think it wise to admit to not having read all of it. Just doesn't instill confidence in me about the Yes side.

They seem to just be issuing gloomy warnings about further job losses if we vote No (which will probably happen either way) and repeat this nonsense about how we wont be at the heart of Europe anymore if we reject Lisbon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

ixtlan wrote: »

I think its entirely reasonable to expect this of him, especially when he was involved in writing it, runs the country, and expects people to vote yes to it. One of the biggest boons for the no side has been the yes side continually showing that they don't fully understand the treaty themselves, or not being able to explain what such and such in the treaty means for Ireland. Why would people vote yes if the campaigners don't know what they are campaigning for?

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I suggest giving it a go! You'll either laugh at how poorly it's wrote when as all writers tell you you should write with the reader in mind or your head'll explode (This writer takes no responsabilty if it does :) ). Thing is all over the place.

Well, as far as legal writing the treaty appears to me to lie somewhere between the Firearms Acts (straightforward) and the Taxes Consolidation Act (really, really hard to understand).

Legal stuff is written for precise meaning not for ease of reading.
    It's part of the reason I have decided how I'm voting. Though I wont say here for fear of turning this from lack of information debate to a Yes/No one for now :)

You're one of those crazy no people aren't you? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

To admit to not reading it though looks very bad, politically imo

a politician looking bad for being honest

jesus christ.

where does it end.

• Advertisement

They seem to just be issuing gloomy warnings about further job losses if we vote No (which will probably happen either way) and repeat this nonsense about how we wont be at the heart of Europe anymore if we reject Lisbon

TBH, I wouldn't look to the yes campaign for help. They're doing a really bad job.

Look here for posts by Scofflaw or sink. They pretty much always cite sources when arguing so you can validate the accuracy of their claims independently.

I think its entirely reasonable to expect this of him, especially when he was involved in writing it, runs the country, and expects people to vote yes to it.

If by "quote chapter and verse" you mean he should be able to answer questions like:

"Explain why Ireland does not lose control over our tax rates."

I agree with you.

If you mean:

"What's in Article 247 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union? No peeking now!"

I couldn't agree with you. Very few human beings can hold that entire document in their head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

A bit of an over reaction perhaps?

ntlbell wrote: »
    a politician looking bad for being honest

jesus christ.

where does it end.

Makes him look a bit naïve, dont'cha think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

I think its entirely reasonable to expect this of him, especially when he was involved in writing it.

Are you for real? This is not how it works in the real world. I'm currently reading the 1400page Bluetooth spec as part of my job; I sure as hell wont be able to quote it chapter and verse when I'm finished, but I'll have a thorough understanding of the contents.

The fact that he was involved in drafting it, and understands the contents intimately should be enough for everyone. It's just another petty little excuse by the No camp.

IRLConor wrote: »
    TBH, I wouldn't look to the yes campaign for help. They're doing a really bad job.

Look here for posts by Scofflaw or sink. They pretty much always cite sources when arguing so you can validate the accuracy of their claims independently.

There in lies the big problem with both sides. Pure lazyiness I've already pointed out some of the problems with the posters. It's all just catchphrases buzzwords and sometimes just VOTE YES or VOTE NO (if you get a chance look at the back of some of them) like some kinda poor man's attept at subliminal messaging. I think both sides watch too much Derren Brown :) Even in bigger things like the commissioner thing no side has actually come out and said it's changing anyway regardless or the tax veto which FF lazilly (sp?) put in as "a reason to vote yes" when they meant it's not a reason to vote no as it stays the same regardless.
    Both sides are guilty of this half arsed effort. Personally though I'd prefer it the treaty came to us in the format we wan't to do this this this and this specifically and here's the changes we need to make. As it is were just been given (vaguely) the list of changes and are left to speculate as to what they are for.

Oh and from the earlier question yes I am one of those "crazies" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Makes him look a bit naïve, dont'cha think?
    Nope, makes him look proactive. So when he's asked a question on the steps of the Dáil that he can't answer, he's free to use the "I'll have to check that and get back to you" excuse. If he claimed to have read and to know the treaty cover-to-cover, he's going to look like an idiot when he can't answer a question straight off.

Proactive? o_O

Surely the Taoiseach should have a bit better answer than "I'll have to check that and get back to you" at this stage of the campaign! He just looks silly now. But not as silly as poor Enda....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

An "impartial" commission that states "We will retain some of our vetoes" but leaves out the rest of the logical impartial sentence "and loose others"

+1 - I wouldn't mind knowing what areas we'd loose our veto's in either.
    "Vote yes for more jobs" So wait if I vote yes steve down the street is gonna suddenly have money to open a shop and hire me as an assistant.... again a statement without a "how?" filled in.

That kind of thing irritates me, I don't mind it in posters but when you hear a politician on radio you expect to hear more than vague crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

colly10 wrote: »
    +1 - I wouldn't mind knowing what areas we'd loose our veto's in either.

That's available from the EU here. That's the full list, though - we have opt-outs on most of the ones affecting justice matters.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

Wow that's a scary list ... But I wouldn't even mind so much only for the "impartial" commission that felt it was completely ignorable. Imparial is not "We keep some of our vetoes"(which they used) or "We lose some of our vetoes" (which wasn't mentioned) it's the full sentence together or were they low on ink cartridges!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Wow that's a scary list ... But I wouldn't even mind so much only for the "impartial" commission that felt it was completely ignorable. Imparial is not "We keep some of our vetoes"(which they used) or "We lose some of our vetoes" (which wasn't mentioned) it's the full sentence together or were they low on ink cartridges!

Anybody who knows the English knows they are the same things. It's like saying 'a glass half full' is different to 'a glass half empty'. Only fools would be confused by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

...the tax veto which FF lazilly (sp?) put in as "a reason to vote yes" when they meant it's not a reason to vote no as it stays the same regardless.

I thought this was a strange reason to give for voting yes, but to be fair, it was probably necessary to put something in there to counter the myth that Lisbon will result in tax harmonization.

sink wrote: »
    Anybody who knows the English knows they are the same things. It's like saying 'a glass half full' is different to 'a glass half empty'. Only fools would be confused by it.

Are you serious? Things like that are worded very carefully even by politicians and advertisers to put a positive or negative spin on a situation. If not why didn't they just complete the sentence? These are supposedly intelligent impartial people and surely they realize they left half of the sentence for us to finish. You can't honestly tell me that the wording was just coincidence?

I'd say that would be blinkered naivity (sp?) to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Then why not say "We lose some of our vetoes" instead of "We keep some of our vetoes"?

For a site claiming to be completely impartial, it certainly doesn't appear so given that they're happy to phrase things in such a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Rb wrote: »
    Then why not say "We lose some of our vetoes" instead of "We keep some of our vetoes"?

For a site claiming to be completely impartial, it certainly doesn't appear so given that they're happy to phrase things in such a way.

Because 'lose' has far greater negative connotations than 'keep' has positive connotations, as it is the direct opposite of 'win'. It would be far more neutral to say we relinquish veto's in order to find more consensus.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

There in lies the big problem with both sides. Pure lazyiness I've already pointed out some of the problems with the posters. It's all just catchphrases buzzwords and sometimes just VOTE YES or VOTE NO (if you get a chance look at the back of some of them) like some kinda poor man's attept at subliminal messaging. I think both sides watch too much Derren Brown :) Even in bigger things like the commissioner thing no side has actually come out and said it's changing anyway regardless or the tax veto which FF lazilly (sp?) put in as "a reason to vote yes" when they meant it's not a reason to vote no as it stays the same regardless.
    Both sides are guilty of this half arsed effort. Personally though I'd prefer it the treaty came to us in the format we wan't to do this this this and this specifically and here's the changes we need to make. As it is were just been given (vaguely) the list of changes and are left to speculate as to what they are for.

So the No side is allowed have misleading slogans (to say the least) but if the yes side uses short points to refute bull**** lies and get support for yes vote then it's not on? How can the yes side compete if they can't also have slogans or short bullet points in their campaign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Because 'lose' has far greater negative connotations than 'keep' has positive connotations, as it is the direct opposite of 'win'. It would be far more neutral to say we relinquish veto's in order to find more consensus.
    Indeed but to be claiming to be truly unbiased they shouldn't be putting positive slants on any part of the treaty. I agree with ShooterSF in that if they want to be unbiased, they should have written such statements fully in a way that put it in neither a positive or negative light.

So the No side is allowed have misleading slogans (to say the least) but if the yes side uses short points to refute bull**** lies and get support for yes vote then it's not on? How can the yes side compete if they can't also have slogans or short bullet points in their campaign?

Mo you misread Im against both sides doing this. It adds nothing and dilutes the facts more. If you read one of my earlier posts in this topic you'll see I have the same problem with the no side's "Don't be bullied" which on it's own is bullying!
    But again BOTH sides are guilty of scaremongering and I expect nothing less. The commission thing though is off putting. I'm fascinated with how carefully adverts etc. choose their wording and how much money is put into it . And it's obvious their sites wording consciously or not is slanted to making things sound more positive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement