Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

English study

Options
  • 24-03-2009 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I am currently in my first year of leaving cert course and am doing higher level English!! I'm pretty good at English however i have great difficulty in studying this subject because my old told us exactly what we should and shouldn't do however, our new teacher is a is a great believer in 'doing it yourself'!! I agree with him on one level but i'm still having problems with how to study poetry or drama like what sort of work do you do for this?? All help would be greatly appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

i have trouble studying for english...and a lot of other subjects.but what you do when studying the drama is to make notes on what happens in each scene,stuff about the character,the theme of the play.

poetry is a bit tougher.you should know the background of every poet (their life) and their poems are usually written about an experience in their life.know the techniques the poet uses and most of all know what the poem is about.also you must know the names of the poems that that poet has written.this happened to me in the mocks.i couldnt remember which poet wrote which poems which left me with bishop (i knew the names of her poems) but i couldnt remember what some of the poems were about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I have trouble as well. What I usually do is go over the background to each story and learn a multitude of quotes from the Shakespearean texts and the appropriate poets.

Thankfully it doesn't take that long, so I've more time for other study.

Advertisement