Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Not sure if laptop is powerfull enough for Games

• 04-12-2008 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi. Im looking for a laptop for bringing with me on trips and for playing video games on. I found one in Norway that is a bargain but not sure if it is up to the job to play games on. I have no clue when it comes to technical stuff and i dont wanna get screwed out of my money so please help. The specs are as follows.

Model: HP COMPAQ HPCQ60116

Prosessor: Intel Celeron 575

Ram: 2GB Ram and 250GB Hard disc

Monitar: 15,6'' with Webcam

DVD Drive: DVD+/- RW

Internet: WLAN

Graffic Card: Intel GMA 4500M HD

?: NVIDIA GF 8200M 895 MB delt

Price: 450 Euro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Graphics card is piss poor for playing games.
    Celeron isn't great either.

Try any of these laptops.
    http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/AdvSearch/default.aspx?rewrite=gaming_laptops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

What games?You expecting min/med/max graphics settings ...In a laptop there is more importance attached to the graphics card than in pcs for good gaming..

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Viper-619

Graphics card is piss poor for playing games.
    Celeron isn't great either.

Try any of these laptops.
    http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/AdvSearc...gaming_laptops

Thanks for lettin me know. It's just I'm 19 and have F all money at the min and it looked like a steal to me.
    What games?You expecting min/med/max graphics settings ...In a laptop there is more importance attached to the graphics card than in pcs for good gaming..

Just standard games you would find in any game shop. I work abroad so its something to keep me occupied for the 2 weeks im away from home after work hours. I'm not big into online games on pcs as i'm more of an xbox gamer, so it doesnt have to be super fast.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Viper-619 wrote: »
    Just standard games you would find in any game shop.

Any chance you could be a bit more specific? That is an incredibly broad statement. Do you have a budget? Any specific games you want to play?

was just planning on going to gamestop and picking up a game or two. ill get GTA4 and maybe a fps or rpg. and if i do start playing online then maybe wow.... And i dont really wanna spend more than 500 euro on a laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It'll play older games like Battlefield 2, Far Cry, Half Life 2 and the like pretty well. Just forget Crysis and so on...

It's definitely Intel's best effort to date, benchmarks seem to place it about the same as the Nvidia Go7400 or Ati X1400 - not bad at all. It's about twice as fast as their X3100 which in itself was actually OK, and able to play Battlefield 2 and the like....

All depends on what games you want to play exactly. Also, the funny thing is that the laptop you've listed, you've listed 2 video cards!

1) X4500
    2) Nvidia 8200M

the X4500 is probably just as fast to be honest, so find out which it is before you buy - Nvidia will have better features.

Edit: GTAIV?? Not the slightest chance in hell it will run on that laptop. Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

You're going to be hard pushed to get a laptop for under €500 that will play anything made in the last few years.

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Samsung_R700_AS07_NP-R700-AS07UK/version.asp

That's got the DDR3 version of the 8600M GT for €650. It will play old (2yr+) games at full/medium settings, and current games at low/medium.

Ok thanks ill forget that one then.
    You're going to be hard pushed to get a laptop for under €500 that will play anything made in the last few years.

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Samsung_...UK/version.asp

That's got the DDR3 version of the 8600M GT for €650. It will play old (2yr+) games at full/medium settings, and current games at low/medium.

It seems pretty good its just the price im not fond of. What are the min requirements to play recent games on a laptop these days?

All depends on what games you want to play exactly. Also, the funny thing is that the laptop you've listed, you've listed 2 video cards!

1) X4500
    2) Nvidia 8200M

Thats what they have it advertised as in the paper but maybe its a typing error. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

For gta 4 you`ll want something like an ati3650 or nvidia 9600, anything else just wont cut it. Pricewise your probably looking at 1000 euro then. Its also more than likely that you`ll end up with a 16/17 inch screen which makes it that less portable. My advice ? get an xbox for games, and spend as little as possible on the laptop and play dvds / older games on it. Or spend a decent amount on a gaming laptop, either way you`ll feel a bit gipped as laptops just arent produced with games in mind (save the expensive ones)

• Advertisement
Advertisement