Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Higher level english, comparitive study, essay help needed.

• 09-11-2008 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

I have a test tomorrow in english on the comparitive course, and at the moment i am struggling when it comes to the concluding paragraph of the essay. Whenever we have an essay for homework the teacher usually tells me that i did pretty good work but that i leave the essay hanging in mid-air and dont have a proper conclussion.
    If anyone could provide me with a sample conclussion for either a theme or issue essay, or a cultural context one i would really appreciate it.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

What texts and film are you studying? It would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

K4t wrote: »
    What texts and film are you studying? It would help.
    oh yeah sorry, i presumed everyone studied the same texts.
    im doing philadelphia here i come, cinema paradiso, and my oedipus complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Well, seeing as I don't know whether you're doing theme or issue, cultural context or vision and viewpoint it's hard to help ;)
    And the question.. that's be a good'un to have to give you a conclusion.

In general, just return to the focus of the answer and give a brief summary of what you have said in youur answer (Just a few sentences)

For theme/ issue maybe do something like:
    "In conclusion, the theme of father-son relationships (Or w/e theme you chose) is evident in all three texts, even though it is portrayed in different ways. In PHIC the relationship is strained and problematic but in complete contrast to this the father-son relationship between Toto and Alfredo in CP is rather idyllic and endearing. (I haven't done My Oedipus Complex yet.. so <blank>).

well i dont really know what you ment by the start of that post but thanks for the answer anyway, much appreciated.

Really?
    Well, there's like... 3 modes on every year. This year it's theme or issue, cultural context or vision and viewpoint. 2 of them will come up on the paper.
    Have a look through past papers!

The question will focus on one of them, so some questions will be about theme, others about cultural context, etc.
    Which means your answer (and therefore conclusion) is going to be really different depending on what mode the questions in.

• Advertisement

bythewoods wrote: »
    Really?
    Well, there's like... 3 modes on every year. This year it's theme or issue, cultural context or vision and viewpoint. 2 of them will come up on the paper.
    Have a look through past papers!

The question will focus on one of them, so some questions will be about theme, others about cultural context, etc.
    Which means your answer (and therefore conclusion) is going to be really different depending on what mode the questions in.
    i know that, sure in my original post i asked for an answer on either cultural context, or theme or issue.
    thanks anyway for the answer, sorry for the confusion.

i know that, sure in my original post i asked for an answer on either cultural context, or theme or issue.
    thanks anyway for the answer, sorry for the confusion.

Oooops... sorry, what a facepalm moment for me!

Here's a cultural context one I was given last year as well then:

In conclusion, all three texts were fascinating and created unique worlds which, in studying, I was able to share in. CP showed an impovershed Italy in years past which was connected intricately with religion but which held resources for escapism also. Similarly, the Ireland portrayed in PHIC in the 1960s shows a land dominated by the Catholic Church and I found myself breating a sigh of relief that it is no longer like this. <Insert My Oedipus Complex thing here>

thanks again your a life saver!

No problemo.

Seeing as the 3 texts you're doing are the ones featured in this years "English Key Notes" (No idea what company it is, but Tony Lake writes it. or edits it, or something...) I'd suggest buying it.
    Gives some hella' nice sample essays for the comparative as well as Macbeth and poetry.
    Now that's a lifesaver!

ya i have the key notes book alright, only problem is with the sample essays they give very brief conclussion. the book is definetly a huge help though, i was dreading english before i got it, it basically answers paper 2 for you :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement