Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Theorems - higher level?

Options
  • 05-09-2009 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

i'm doing higher level maths and i was just wondering how many theorems do you have to learn off in one of the exam papers i bought they said there was 6 for paper one and 4 for paper two. Is there not more than this??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pjtb

My memory is sketchy, but I'm nearly 100% sure that there are more than this. In Leaving cert we tended to call them 'proofs', not theorems, there might be a difference in the meaning of these words. What textbook have you? I had Text and Tests, anything with a * beside denoted a required proof. They're easy marks, the proofs, so make sure you learn 'em early, and learn 'em well!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

All the proofs are easy to understand and learn. Once you learn the diagrams for them they'll be easy.

As for the amount, I can't remember. Sorry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

If you have less stress more success all the proofs you need are at the back of it. 6 and 4 sounds about right for the main proofs but many topics e.g. vectors have there own small proofs as well.

The majority are straight forward. There are a few stickies though, so know them really well.

Oh yeah, we got the easy ones this year:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    If you have less stress more success all the proofs you need are at the back of it. 6 and 4 sounds about right for the main proofs but many topics e.g. vectors have there own small proofs as well.

The majority are straight forward. There are a few stickies though, so know them really well.

Oh yeah, we got the easy ones this year:p

Loads of formulas have been added to the log tables .. Not sure if theorems are there though

cork*girl wrote: »
    Loads of formulas have been added to the log tables .. Not sure if theorems are there though

Proofs/theorems wouldn't be in the new tables! That kinda defeats the purpose of learning them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

Woah..ok. I don't do higher level so I don't know. It was just a suggestion

cork*girl wrote: »
    Woah..ok. I don't do higher level so I don't know. It was just a suggestion

Sorry if I sounded blunt:o, didn't mean to:).

Don't forget the twelve or so derivations of trigonometric identities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭JW91

I got an A2 in maths this year and I didn't even know there was theorems or proofs or whatever on the course until I read this thread.

I wouldn't get too stressed about them.

JW91 wrote: »
    I got an A2 in maths this year and I didn't even know there was theorems or proofs or whatever on the course until I read this thread.

I wouldn't get too stressed about them.

Really? Fair play to you. Was that honours or pass?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭JW91

Honours. I can't actually remember what questions I answered on the paper though. Would it be possible I could have answered 6 questions on each paper without encountering any theorems or proofs?

Because I don't recall skipping any questions but if the questions required me to write out a proof there is no way I could have done it

Advertisement