Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

USA : NSA spying on everybody

• 07-06-2013 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭

Not really related to broadband access but I feel it's a rather important issue.

NSA has direct access to tech giants' systems for user data, secret files reveal http://t.co/RUa5Scitqf via @guardian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

old news sure... CALEA and all that has been out for ages

any router with that sort of thing could easily have a backdoor in hardware - next to impossible to find - where would you start ? - what are you looking for ?

http://www.narus.com/solutions/narus-nsystem part of boeing - fair chance they'd know what they're at

You'd need it all more than you'd think though - plenty of loopers out there - all they need is meet someone like-minded across the internet

and they'll start "feeding" off each other or whatever and you have what happened in London the other week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭bealtine

gctest50 wrote: »
    old news sure... CALEA and all that has been out for ages

yeah I know it's not news as such, most of us have known about it for years, but it has hit the mainstream now.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

While I'm not surprised to read this, I do wonder how this gets around the EU data protection rules (for servers located in the EU at least) ... or would the same rules that allowed access to airline data from US security be applicable? I had thought that deal was only applicable to airlines. I remember when Swift were found to be divulging financial payments details there was some noise - but from memory I believe they just changed their place of registration from Belgium to the USA and then claimed they were obliged to obey USA laws.
    I wonder today with the cloud, if it's as simple as replicating, en-masse, the data on EU Servers to servers state-side from where targeted queries that would breach the EU personal data rules could be applied?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

bealtine wrote: »
    yeah I know it's not news as such, most of us have known about it for years, but it has hit the mainstream now.

That's what i was thinking, took a long time for them

Advertisement