Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

BOHtox wrote: »
    First one, there's a scene where there's a knock on the door of an apartment, the lady goes, who I believe is in distress, goes to answer it. She looks through the peephole and the scene switches to looking through the peephole. There's a guy pointing a gun and he shoots her through the peephole. Think they were looking for the boyfriend. Pretty sure the boyfriend is then captured.

Fled?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

There's this film of which I vaguely remember a couple of scenes. Probably dating from the 70's, could possibly be classified as a western or similar period and setting. It was set in a remote mine out in a desert type area. A man is mining for something and we see him coming out of the mine and he's wearing goggles, holding a sledgehammer and has no shirt on. A woman who was wearing only her underwear which was 19th century type bloomers and shouting angrily at him. He ties her by her hands and legs to a bed and I think maybe leaves her there for a long period. Vague about the rest of the film but possibly they were the only characters in it, they might have been husband and wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

You're a genius. That's exactly the one haha. Thank you.

The other one is a lot tougher.

This isn't a movie but hopefully someone can help ... back in the 80s I watched a TV short story drama series, not unlike Tales of the Unexpected, could even BE Tales of the Unexpected.

Anyway, there is an episode that's stayed with me and which I would love to see again ... I think the gist is that a man is visiting a house with two sisters. One of the sisters makes out (discreetly) that the other sister is insane. As the story unfolds, there seems to be evidence of that but in the end it turns out to be the opposite and the (real) mad sister locks him in the basement and stabs him repeatedly.

Ring any bells?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

I saw part of this movie on a religious channel. Religious college guy got bothered by skeptics and atheists from the philosophy club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

764dak wrote: »
    I saw part of this movie on a religious channel. Religious college guy got bothered by skeptics and atheists from the philosophy club.

Sounds like God's Not Dead.

Sounds like God's Not Dead.

I googled 'God's Not Dead "philosophy club" ' and got this link as one of the results:
    http://www.christiancinema.com/catalog/article_info.php?articles_id=8017

It seems it is End of the Harvest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Something that's been bugging me for a few days now. I'm listening to some stuff on YouTube. 80's synth mish mash stuff, but there's a movie quote in this tune that I recognise, but can't recall the name of the film. Can anyone help?

Go to 1:58.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Perhaps 5 years back-no earlier, there was a trailer for a film with 4 well known actors, set in a New York apartment. I thought Jodie Foster, Michael C Reilly and maybe Julianne Moore were in it. The trailer had the 4 having coffee in the apartment, and then I think the host couple go to the kitchen to discuss something, apparently to do with the kid of the other couple.....
    I figured I'd wait until it was issued as a DVD, and forgot about it.
    But have not been able to find it, either by checking films made by any of the actors I thought were in it, or scanning releases from the last few years. Maybe it was so bad tha it was binned.
    Any one have any clue what film this is? It was set in NY with your middle class NY white types, the kind that go to museums and antique shops and MoMa and who vote solidly Democratic, not for Al Sharpton but for Hillary of Chuck Schumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,351 ✭✭✭✭siblers

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1692486/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_4
    I assume it's "Carnage"
    You have the right actors so I dunno why you weren't able to find it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    Perhaps 5 years back-no earlier, there was a trailer for a film with 4 well known actors, set in a New York apartment. I thought Jodie Foster, Michael C Reilly and maybe Julianne Moore were in it. The trailer had the 4 having coffee in the apartment, and then I think the host couple go to the kitchen to discuss something, apparently to do with the kid of the other couple.....
    I figured I'd wait until it was issued as a DVD, and forgot about it.
    But have not been able to find it, either by checking films made by any of the actors I thought were in it, or scanning releases from the last few years. Maybe it was so bad tha it was binned.
    Any one have any clue what film this is? It was set in NY with your middle class NY white types, the kind that go to museums and antique shops and MoMa and who vote solidly Democratic, not for Al Sharpton but for Hillary of Chuck Schumer.

Carnage?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnage_(2011_film)

Not bad, can tell it's straight from a play. Presume it wasn't really shot in New York as it's Polanski!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Carnage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭budgemook

Definitely Carnage, film version of a play.

Also, isn't there a movie identification thread?

Edit: yeah the first sticky thread :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Excellent thanks.

I think there was an animated movie with African-American child characters from the 1990s. It might not be family friendly. I was 6 so I don't remember anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I think there was an animated movie with African-American child characters from the 1990s. It might not be family friendly. I was 6 so I don't remember anything else.

Was it definitely the 90's? As kinda sounds like it might be The Proud Family but that didn't start until 2001.

Here's a clip....

If not, Eddie Murphy also had some stop motion show in the late 90's called The PJs which It could have been.

Was it definitely the 90's? As kinda sounds like it might be The Proud Family but that didn't start until 2001.

Here's a clip....

If not, Eddie Murphy also had some stop motion show in the late 90's called The PJs which It could have been.

Nah, I would remember anything from Disney.

It's not the PJs either.

I was 6 in 1996 so anything from 1996 or before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

Nah, I would remember anything from Disney.

It's not the PJs either.

I was 6 in 1996 so anything from 1996 or before.

Bebe's Kids. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A9b%C3%A9's_Kids

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

This seems like it. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Fat Albert? From the 70's but was repeated a lot over the years.

darkdubh wrote: »
    Fat Albert? From the 70's but was repeated a lot over the years.

I already got the answer.

It's this:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

This movie which I saw a brief scene from on the tv a few years ago, fairly recent I'd say dating at least from 00's. A young American guy is on holiday in North Africa, maybe Morocco and he's out at night alone drunk, maybe he's had a row with his friends and become seperated. He's in a square and there's a shifty gang of guys in leather jackets hanging around watching him. Suddenly he's punched and next scene cuts to the gang dragging him into what looks like a barn and he's raped by the gang though it doesn't show it in detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

Trying to get the name of a movie, but details sketchy :( It's a recent movie made up of short stories, one being a Queen who want's a child at any cost (it ends badly). I think the queen is played by a well known Spanish/Mexican actress. There was a clip played on the Graham Norton show some time back. Sorry for the scant details :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭jh79

degsie wrote: »
    Trying to get the name of a movie, but details sketchy :( It's a recent movie made up of short stories, one being a Queen who want's a child at any cost (it ends badly). I think the queen is played by a well known Spanish/Mexican actress. There was a clip played on the Graham Norton show some time back. Sorry for the scant details :(

Tale of Tales?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

jh79 wrote: »
    Tale of Tales?

Bingo! Thank you, it was doing my head in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

degsie wrote: »
    Bingo! Thank you, it was doing my head in :D

It's currently on Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

So..yeah ...am .... try this one on for size .

My 93 year old aunt was telling us on Monday about a movie herself, her sisters and her dad (my granddad) were extras in . The part they were in was shot up around Killaloe and they were brought up from Limerick each day and back down in the evening . It stared Fionnula Flanagan and some other prominent male actor who she couldn't remember but my mam later on phoned me to say they had remembered , it was Ray Milland and she also believes Des Keogh was in it . It was supposedly set around the time of the famine and was supposedly called Send Us Your Poor .

I say 'supposedly' because I can find neither record nor mention of anything resembling it anywhere . My mam wasn't part of it but she says she does remember the others going up to Killaloe to be involved and does remember the stars involved .

So can anyone offer any enlightenment ? maybe someone with access to some moviedatabases beyond the usual .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

jonski wrote: »
    So..yeah ...am .... try this one on for size .

My 93 year old aunt was telling us on Monday about a movie herself, her sisters and her dad (my granddad) were extras in . The part they were in was shot up around Killaloe and they were brought up from Limerick each day and back down in the evening . It stared Fionnula Flanagan and some other prominent male actor who she couldn't remember but my mam later on phoned me to say they had remembered , it was Ray Milland and she also believes Des Keogh was in it . It was supposedly set around the time of the famine and was supposedly called Send Us Your Poor .

I say 'supposedly' because I can find neither record nor mention of anything resembling it anywhere . My mam wasn't part of it but she says she does remember the others going up to Killaloe to be involved and does remember the stars involved .

So can anyone offer any enlightenment ? maybe someone with access to some moviedatabases beyond the usual .

"The Unwanted"? (1975 -Also called "Give us your Poor")

I've never seen it myself but now I want to, as I'm from East Clare myself...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Press-Photo-Fionnuala-Flanagan-and-Des-Keogh-in-The-Unwanted-mjx06511-/351967388946

http://www.nytimes.com/1975/04/16/archives/tv-review-2-dramas-about-irish-and-chinese-in-us.html?_r=0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Aglomerado wrote: »

Thank you so much for that , I just phoned them there to let them know they weren't going mad, well maybe they are but not because of this :)

I had tried all the usual places like IMDB and google search but found nothing and no mention of any of the stars having made it .

Advertisement