Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend me some M&S products!

Options
  • 20-04-2014 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Warning: First world problem alert! :o

Just wondering what everyone's favourite Marks & Spencer foods are? We normally do the bulk of our shopping in Aldi and Tesco, but recently I've been spending a lot of time in Galway for work so I've got access to an M&S. I don't plan on doing big shops there or anything, but I'll definitely be picking up bits and pieces. Recommend me your favourites please, I don't know where to start!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭fiachraX

Love their moussaka.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Their Gastropub lasagne is lush - but INCREDIBLY rich. Serious treat territory only!

Their hummus is my favourite by a mile - either the plain olive oil one, or the spicy red pepper one. Tzatziki with mini-poppadoms dipped in it is a lovely treat.

Their macaroni cheese is my favourite (I've a feeling I may be in a minority on that one though!)

Don't rate their pizzas at all.

Their Cook range of pre-prepared but raw dishes is pretty good, some very nice chicken ones in it.

Their coleslaws are fantastic.

They occasionally have a steak and ale pie (where the pastry is still raw, not half-pre-cooked) - really properly gorgeous.

They used to have a bag of cabbage/leeks/broccoli which was brilliant for bunging in the microwave to get some greens into me with whatever else I was cooking - perfect for lazy single eaters like me! Sadly haven't seen it in a while, but they do have a bag of cabbage greens which is nearly as good.

I love M&S food!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I love their Cumberland Pies, but they seem to sell out quite quickly.

Also think their Full on Flavour Witshire Honey Roast Ham crisps are to die for.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Potato croquettes with cheese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I love their yoghurts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Their Gastropub lasagne is lush - but INCREDIBLY rich. Serious treat territory only!

Their hummus is my favourite by a mile - either the plain olive oil one, or the spicy red pepper one. Tzatziki with mini-poppadoms dipped in it is a lovely treat.

Their macaroni cheese is my favourite (I've a feeling I may be in a minority on that one though!)

Don't rate their pizzas at all.

Their Cook range of pre-prepared but raw dishes is pretty good, some very nice chicken ones in it.

Their coleslaws are fantastic.

They occasionally have a steak and ale pie (where the pastry is still raw, not half-pre-cooked) - really properly gorgeous.

They used to have a bag of cabbage/leeks/broccoli which was brilliant for bunging in the microwave to get some greens into me with whatever else I was cooking - perfect for lazy single eaters like me! Sadly haven't seen it in a while, but they do have a bag of cabbage greens which is nearly as good.

I love M&S food!

Oooh...I may have to revise what I said about just buying bits and pieces there. I sense a full shopping list coming on (as if we don't already spend a disproportionate amount of our income on food! :o). That all sounds fab! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭thirteen.

M&S cookies from the bakery.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

They do a great frozen mix of baby broad beans, soya beans and peas.

They also sell haggis seasonally.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

The pear drops lemonade is yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I love those pasta bakes they have with the focaccia bits on top, yum yum! Enchiladas are nice too, and the paella, and the rotisserie chickens. Most of the desserts are also very nice, they do lovely cheesecakes and the melting middle chocolate puddings are gorgeous! I often get stuff there if I don't have time to cook from scratch, they often have special offers on so it doesn't really work out more expensive than other shops imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

They do some really nice breads there that are worth a look.

They do one that is 6 small baps stuck together in a ring that alternate between poppy and sesame seeds on top. They're really good with some pulled pork and coleslaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Pressed pineapple juice in the bottles in the fridges, not the carton stuff which is also pressed. It was not there the last time I looked though.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

I like their chocolate milk :) and their cookies

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Vintage cava, seen as everyone else above took all the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

The honey roast gammon ham, that comes as a joint with a sachet of honey sauce to drizzle over, then bung in the oven for 45 mins, nicest ever paired with their farmhouse loaf if warm, proper ham sandwiches!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Ultimate mashed potatoes...... Just amazing

haro124 wrote: »
    Ultimate mashed potatoes...... Just amazing
    Oh yeah!

Or the carrot & swede mash, with some salty bacon crumbled into it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The one thing for me is the Cornish Cruncher extra mature cheddar. Cannot be beaten IMO for the price and quality and taste.

Yummy and crumbly. I grab three packs at a time. just in case there might be a war on or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Their pre-packed salads and cous cous are decent too. There is one variety of cous cous with a lemon and ginger dressing that is lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

The Chinese style chicken wings are pretty good, plus there's a great selection.

The coleslaw is amazing.

I love the meat tortelloni, so tasty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

rosemary potato cubes, and fillet steak

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chooey

Their Hummus is amazing, as our their ready made little salads. Love their creamy mash and their count on us yoghurts are delicious. They have some lovely cheeses also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Freshly baked cookies. Nyom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Freshly baked cookies. Nyom.

I treated myself to some today. Yum!

I like the squid and prawn with a dip they have near the sandwiches but finding it harder and harder to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Their cold pasta salads are lovely. The pesto and spinach one is my favourite. Their crumpets are gorgeous too. I also really like their shortbread and pretty much all of their desserts :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    Their cold pasta salads are lovely. The pesto and spinach one is my favourite. Their crumpets are gorgeous too. I also really like their shortbread and pretty much all of their desserts :o
    their Madagascan vanilla custard is great....

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

Butternut squash and goats cheese lasagne is heavenly! Especially with a side of their skinny fries...that's my usual hangover treat! In general their vegetarian ready meal stuff is good and more inventive than the other supermarkets.

They do good wines. Also lovely apples, even if you only get 4! The Fiji and Pink Lady ones are so juicy and fresh.

Sandwich-wise, the Wensleydale and carrot chutney one is amazing. I could eat it every day. Mmm, must go to Marks soon!

Did I mention the dark chocolate and ginger biscuits? from what I can tell they're always on offer 2 for €4.50 - not cheap as there's only 7 or 8 in a pack - but they're DIVINE :D

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

Their Belgian chocolate milk. Yum yum yum. Grest for pregnancy heartburn too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Semele

Oh, and the Florentines! So chocolatey!

Advertisement