Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quality of Drinking water and is it damaging to our health?

Options
  • 09-12-2012 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

So i have to say that here in Limerick there is an unpleasant taste off the tap water. Firstly I am not from Limerick so the difference between the water here and Cork is noticeable by taste and smell. Also I have found my hair to become dried out in my opinion this is from the water as well as my skin drying out almost like dermatitis. This has come up in conversation between other people finding similar symptoms, and the common factor between us was using the tap water.
    I have read the quality of drinking water report from 2008/2009 and it advises that services need to be updated and facilities maintained. My question is, does the adding of chemicals to the public water have an affect on our health? Who is the authority to contact and how does one start an investigation into this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

Disinfection chemicals such as chloride are added to water in order to kill harmful bacteria, other chemicals such as aluminium sulphate are used to help remove suspended solids. These chemicals are essential for a safer drinking water supply.

If you are unhappy with the quality of your water supply you could go and get your water tested in a certified Lab, however the addition of these chemicals is closely monitored at the treatment plant and testing would be done on a regular basis in ensure water meets the drinking water requirements.

With regards your claim that the water is causing you skin problems, it would be extremely difficult to prove this due other variable factors at play, such as use of detergents, skin type, lifestyle etc. etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭looksee

More likely its because Limerick has hard water and Cork has soft water. Its much harder to lather your hair with hard water than soft, you tend to use more soap and it doesn't rinse out all that easily. The taste could be just what you are used to, or of course it could be chemicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭210

Limerick Water quality results are available on line at the following link,

http://www.lcc.ie/waterworks/

which supply are you on ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

looksee wrote: »
    More likely its because Limerick has hard water and Cork has soft water. Its much harder to lather your hair with hard water than soft, you tend to use more soap and it doesn't rinse out all that easily. The taste could be just what you are used to, or of course it could be chemicals.
    If this is the case then get a water softener

it may even save money long term because you need less shampoo , washing power and other chemicals

Advertisement