Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Listowel Bypass

Options
  • 07-10-2012 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Due to the success of the Tralee Bypass thread on this site, I decided that a thread on the Listowel bypass should be set up so as to provide the public with information on the progress of this project. So if anybody out there has any information about the Listowel Bypass by all means post whatever information you have, so long as it is not rumour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Not to put it down, but id say this will be a long time coming...

Its a miracle that the Tralee one ever got started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Not to put it down, but id say this will be a long time coming...

Its a miracle that the Tralee one ever got started.
    Considering how long it took them to resurface the road by killflynn and the entrance to the race course in recent years, I wouldn't hold my breath either

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bigfellalixnaw

Still there is supposed to be a decision reached on the final route for the bypass made by the end of this year, or so it is said.

This is what I got off of the NRA site in relation to the Listowel bypass:

N69 Listowel Bypass
    Local Authority: Kerry County Council
    Start County: Kerry
    End County: Kerry
    Description: This scheme consists of a bypass of Listowel town linking the N69 Tralee Road with the N69 Tarbert Road to include a new bridge crossing of the River Feale.

This project has been funded by the Irish Government under the National Development Plan and the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport .

Mainline Length (km): To be determined
    Current Project Phase: Planning

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They could have done something had they not wasted money doing an unnecessary new stretch like the one between Tullig and Rea on the N69. Listowel's right at the back of the queue for any development, especially now the cash has gone. Of course they'd soon find some funds if our local representatives (you know who you are :P) decided to wake up and do something about it.

• Advertisement

Bad news, the Adare Bypass has been refused planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I heard that its a shame really as Adare is a bottle neck of a town when trying to get to Limerick City only way to avoid it is to go out the croom direction and it a long jaunt trying to get onto the cork/limerick road otherwise go from the tarbert road if coming from listowel, ballybunion and tralee. Adare is probably more easier to get onto that road when coming from tralee and duagh to get to limerick city.

I don't think there are any decisions made on the new bypass in Listowel. They had routes planned but nothing decided on. I do wonder how they going to manage it, is it likely to happen from the tarbert road onto the N69, how will they do it though, off by caiherdown is the only way I'd have an idea that it happen that way. You can already go out by kilmorna/athea/ardagh to get on from the tarbert road onto abbeyfeale/newcastlewest direction but you still have to get on those roads from listowel or another village/town at least.

I'm all for the new stretch of road out by tuilig, the bends and road was narrow and sharp enough on parts of that road. In the name of safety I am all for it.

Hopefully new new proposed bypass for listowel will ease the traffic in and out of listowel. Its meeting the N69 but from what side of listowel is it likely to bypass then tralee/limerick, is it bypass listowel from tralee to limerick that its trying to do then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

doovdela wrote: »
    I heard that its a shame really as Adare is a bottle neck of a town when trying to get to Limerick City only way to avoid it is to go out the croom direction and it a long jaunt trying to get onto the cork/limerick road otherwise go from the tarbert road if coming from listowel, ballybunion and tralee. Adare is probably more easier to get onto that road when coming from tralee and duagh to get to limerick city.

The bottleneck at Adare is always on the Limerick side (especially with the road works at the moment!) If you are leaving Limerick, going towards Tarbert and turn left before Kilcornan church and follow the road, it will bring you back onto the N21 either in past the bottle neck in Adare or near Croagh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Aphex Tim

Route C picked for Listowel bypass
    Coming from Tralee it will branch off left before turn for Finuge, cross the river near the dam, come in behind Greenville and follow the old tracks and link up with John B Keane Rd at Mckennas Yard.

Listowel Town Councillor

http://www.facebook.com/moloneyjimmy

It might work, it would carry traffic to the edge of listowel instead of through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

True it will do that to reduce the traffic in Listowel which will get pretty hectic now coming up to Christmas but is it enough of a bypass though would it not defeat the purpose of going out by finuge and out to greenville and into listowel? How much will it ease the traffic.

Will it not take longer to get to listowel and onto the n69 road out to tarbert? Would the distance be any different by going out by finuge. So they going to introduce a road off the N69 from tralee before the finuge turn is it? It will reduce the traffic on the bridge, coming from the duagh side and the square I suppose from that point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Soon after the by-pass opens (if or whenever), grass will start growing on the roads in the town.

As of last week an environmental assessment was being carried out a site on the River Feale where the bypass will cross over. The assessment is to take into account the effects that the new bridge will have on the environment in the vicinity. So there is some activity after all, though most likely the first sod won't be turned on the bypass in the near future.

The Tralee Bypass finally opened last week, I had a fine spin on the entirety of the route Saturday, they definitely got their value's worth from the 97 million euros invested in the project. I guess now Listowel is next in the firing line for a bypass in Kerry, anybody want to guess on how much it will cost to build?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tpx42

Bring on the bypass for Listowel. How many times have we been stuck at the bridge road or even further out than that. I will not miss taking 10 minutes or more to get from the big bridge to the square.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

tpx42 wrote: »
    Bring on the bypass for Listowel. How many times have we been stuck at the bridge road or even further out than that. I will not miss taking 10 minutes or more to get from the big bridge to the square.

Please don't resurrect ghost threads. Thanks. mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement