Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your unpopular music opinions

• 09-07-2011 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

Inspired by the movies thread.

I do not care for primal scream's "rocks"

I think Neil diamond's jazz singer album is seminal!

I think every ramones song sounds the same.

Comments

I like the Dandy Warhols

I prefer the Second Coming

I think the Beatles are overrated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I don't like Joy Division and 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' is - in my opinion - a terribly formulaic, lacklustre and boring song.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭dasdog

Simon and Garfunkel's greatest hits is really good

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I don't think the Beatles are over rated and I get slated for having all their albums on both Vinyl and CD
    Also, I don't really like acoustic rock

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I don't get Radiohead or Muse or Placebo. I think they are terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I thought Radiohead's In Rainbows, while good, wasn't as good as people made it out to be. Amnesiac is my favourite album.

Similarly, my favourite Muse album is Hullaballoo.

Bjork's Volta was a waste of time for an album.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,727 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I think Kings of Leon are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,727 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I prefer the Second Coming

Heathen! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tulipout

Ive found myself been a sucker for songs i hear in some adds.
    Sweet disposition been one.
    Last song i downloaded was Love is a drug by Roxy Music.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I think pop music is often overlooked.

I don't really like genres, it's all music in the end.

I don't like cover versions (99% of the time)

I think cover bands are pointless, why spend so much time tracing someone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

i think Jimi Hendrix music is boring and there alot better artists from his time and onwards who are far superior to the crap he produced

the pop music out now is catchy and fun to listen to a few times but thats about it

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

+1 on the above opinions re: Primal Scream and Muse, I really don't like either band, and when I tell people that, they look at me like I have ten heads.

I can't understand the appeal of The Rolling Stones.

I like John Denver (oh the shame :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I think the Beatles are overrated but they are still very good.

I think Girls Aloud are one of the best things that ever happened to British pop music.

I think Green Day are the second best live band I've ever seen.

I think Take That along with Robbie Williams should be named "the fab five".

I think country music and Irish folk is underrated.

I think too many people see U2 as being a pop band when they are rock to me.

^ I think we have a winner! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 34 breadman

Cydoniac wrote: »
    I thought Radiohead's In Rainbows, while good, wasn't as good as people made it out to be. Amnesiac is my favourite album.

Similarly, my favourite Muse album is Hullaballoo.

Bjork's Volta was a waste of time for an album.

muse absolution their best ever
    and Puressence best undiscovered band in the world four brilliant albums

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Radiohead are shít nowadays and have been for 10 years or more.

U2 make me sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Nirvana sucks old mans balls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

I think the Rolling Stones are incredibly overrated and, dare I say it, boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I don't like punk, 99% is derivative and simplistic.

I think The Black Album is more enjoyable to listen to than MOP overall

The Ramones are boring, repetitive and simplistic

KOL suck ass because they are boring repetitive and simplistic

Every single proto punk revivalist/hipster band sucks as they are boring repetitive and simplistic and imitators/posers.

Radiohead are rubbish, The Bends and OK Computer are their best albums, but no one is willing to admit it for fear of being labelled a musical ludite who "just doesn't appreciate their avant garde ingenuity nowadays man." I spent 10 years trying to get into Kid A and its an ok album but The Bends and OK Computer are just way better musically, they just have that intangible quality which makes a piece of work great and I just don't find that with any of their later works. They suck.

Nirvana are overrated

Rush are ass

Tool are also ass

The Darkness was one of the best bands to come out of the godforsaken decade of the 00s but people were just too up their own asses to appreciate their awesome songs.

Jeff Beck is a boring guitarist with a few tricks so people call him a virtuoso.

Dream Theatre sucks, boring flouncey music based solely in technique

Blur sucks, proto hipsters and imitators

Iron Maiden just wrote one song and stuck with it, and its not even a good song. I mean ACDC have one good song which they've used for their entire career but not IM.

Megadeth are absolute utter rubbish, they don't compose music, they just write physical exercises for guitar.

Muse used to suck but their later works are superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

Pink Floyd are ****. That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Queen are one of the greatest rock bands of the 20th century, the did produce some ****e but a lot of their stuff was brilliant. And as much as I admire Freddie I think Brian was the key member as he worte most of the well know songs.

The Beatles are good but over rated.

Phil Collins is not the best drummer as I've heard some people saying before but a good musician.

Joe Cocker is a fantastic singer, he sounds no different today to the way he sounded at Woodstock.

David Bowie is brutal in his live shows the past few years. Live versions sound completely different to the studio versions.

I'll probably see the pitch forks coming at me for this but U2 aren't as bad as people around here make them out to be.

Take That without a doubt are one of the greatest ''boy bands'' to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

karaokeman wrote: »
    I think too many people see U2 as being a pop band when they are rock to me.

Maybe because they released an album called Pop once (which sounded nothing like pop), thats what confuses people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Queen are one of the greatest rock bands of the 20th century, the did produce some ****e but a lot of their stuff was brilliant. And as much as I admire Freddie I think Brian was the key member as he worte most of the well know songs.

The Beatles are good but over rated.

Phil Collins is not the best drummer as I've heard some people saying before but a good musician.

Joe Cocker is a fantastic singer, he sounds no different today to the way he sounded at Woodstock.

David Bowie is brutal in his live shows the past few years. Live versions sound completely different to the studio versions.

I'll probably see the pitch forks coming at me for this but U2 aren't as bad as people around here make them out to be.

Take That without a doubt are one of the greatest ''boy bands'' to date.

Freddie Mercury was Queen. The songs that May wrote were mainly shite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

I never got the whole "Van the man" Morrison thing, he is a fat over sexed ignorant dull old man who never contributed anything to popular music.

I also never got Bob Dylan, I have heard knackers on o connell bridge with better voices, deadly dull.

I cant agree more with the poster who pointed out the limitations of Jeff Beck,he is a poor player with a trick or two, which brings me onto a big fan of his....

Imelda "i am from the liberties you know" May, jesus how KERRAPP is her music.

I dont think its possible to over rate the Beatles,

I dont think people realise the genius that is Brian Wilson.

My favourite guitarists are Jan Akkerman, Steve hackett, Dickey Betts, Tommy Bolin and Tommy Emmanuel.

The best female vocalist of all time was Karen Carpenter and she was also the best female drummer (by a street)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Pink Floyd are one of the most overrated bands ever. Their music is too long winded and you have to be on drugs to appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Classical minimalism (Philip Glass, Steve Reich) is the biggest heap of shi*e ever. It was already done back in the 1930s anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

lordgoat wrote: »
    I think cover bands are pointless, why spend so much time tracing someone else?

Definite +1 to both of those.

As for me:
    I find Daft Punk very boring, even though they seem to be universally loved. There are many other electronic acts I prefer listening to.

Hole were a better band than Nirvana. Live Through This and Celebrity Skin effortlessly trump Nevermind and In Utero imo.

Manic Street Preachers are horribly pretentious and dull. Their music is pure drivel and Nicky Wire deserves a smack in the face.

Lady Gaga is a genuinely talented singer/songwriter. Haters gonna hate.

I like Nelly Furtado.

Kim Deal is a better singer and songwriter than Frank Black. I personally prefer The Breeders to the Pixies.

I don't care about how technically good a musician is; once the music sounds good that's all I care about. I don't care how simple it is to play or if artists are incapable of playing anything more complicated. Neil Peart may be a better drummer than Meg White, but I'd rather listen to the White Stripes over Rush any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Freddie Mercury was Queen. The songs that May wrote were mainly shite

Have a listen to Mercurys solo albums or the queen album he had the most influence on - Hot Space. That might change your mind

Queens best Albums were probably their first four. Sheer Heart Attack IMO was the best

Hanson have matured into a wonderful band. They are brilliant musicians and trump over many of the popular bands out these days.

It seems "Mmbop" did more damage than good for them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I really like Coldplay.

Advertisement