Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do we still have nationalism?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

In a 3 year period we didn'nt have race riots - we didn't accept people in any kind of a useful way up until the mid 1990's that leaves up in the gutter compared to any of our neighbours.
    The majority of these people were people we actually needed to boost our economy - roles needed to be filled to keep our economy buyont- it was economics that allowed for this policy in alot of cases and international law in a smaller number of cases.

Using an example of a very bad policy implemented by one country which we didn't implement, to make us look better, speaks volumes concerning our record. It doesn't make us look better

We needed migrant workers to bouy the economy in the same way that we needed loose standards concerning bank loans and low property taxation?

Gesterbiete are not a terribly good idea in general - a little unfair on the foreign workers who are plumbed for all their worth, unfair on citizens if their isn't enough work available (or a specific type of work for a specific type of citizen to be more precise) and a very bad idea if the migrant workers end up staying permanently (which, depending on legal barriers, is a natural conclusion).

The reason why most of our neighbours have a fairly shocking record concerning how well they get on with immigrant communities is that most of our neighbours have a shocking record of having immigrant communities integrate with the mores and cultures of their own societies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Apologies for the bump, but in the wake of the news from Northern Ireland that "they're back", I reached for this thread.

I think this is the most poignant video I've ever seen:

It's not explicitly about nationalism, but it does reveal, in my opinion, the utter absurdity and primitiveness of it all.

It should be watched by everyone. It will give any thinking person considerable pause for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Moomoo1

we have nationalism because it's convenient for our rulers to have it

if the proles are always at each other's throats for being different then they will never unite and demand their fair share of resources from the rich

Advertisement