Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I'm just after losing 700k souls and 16 humanity in the Chasm. F**k, F**k F**K:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I nearly got sick when I read that... Can't even get them back...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Danonino. wrote: »
    can't get past O+S as a Lv2 cleric. Out of Humanity and not wanting to grind for a pyro flame and stuff..... I think the challenge just beat me O_o blasted through everything else and know I would only find the 4 kings hard but O+S at this level is just too mental.

Dont give up! Maybe put the run on hold for a while and come back to it fresh in a week or so. I can actually imagine cleric would be one of the harder classes to beat O&S since im pretty sure you can't use a bow to cheese them, and there isnt alot of long range damage miracle spells, with Lightning Bolt taking way to long to get. Pyroglove with combustion seems the best for bursting Smough down. I find Super Orstein easier to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Cursed in Depths and I accidentally killed Oswald earlier on, now I have to shell out 6K souls for a Purging stone :( It's funny, I was doing so well fighting my way through the Depths with 11,000 souls, half an hour later I have half a HP bar and 0 souls with a predicament on my hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

Any chance there's a Lvl 15ish ps3 player around to help me with 4 kings? I am getting my ass handed to me over and over.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Dont give up! Maybe put the run on hold for a while and come back to it fresh in a week or so. I can actually imagine cleric would be one of the harder classes to beat O&S since im pretty sure you can't use a bow to cheese them, and there isnt alot of long range damage miracle spells, with Lightning Bolt taking way to long to get. Pyroglove with combustion seems the best for bursting Smough down. I find Super Orstein easier to deal with

Will return to it at some point. No lightning spear due to only 14 faith. Have a nice lightning crossbow though which was helping. 14 faith does give me a little boost in beating catacombs/tombs and access to magic barrier/great heal but the cleric stats are a curse. :( Weapon choice is meh (although my favourite weapon is the cleric mace :))and 9 endurance is just horrible. I have a feeling O+S, the four kings, and Seath could be a hassle simple due to not having enough endurance to get the hits in and roll away. I'd say a Bandit or Pyro playthrough would be easier in many ways but I'll return someday :pac:
    Tommy_NDX wrote: »
    Any chance there's a Lvl 15ish ps3 player around to help me with 4 kings? I am getting my ass handed to me over and over.

Pretty sure I have a lv11 character. Might get a chance to get on later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

Will return to it at some point. No lightning spear due to only 14 faith. Have a nice lightning crossbow though which was helping. 14 faith does give me a little boost in beating catacombs/tombs and access to magic barrier/great heal but the cleric stats are a curse. :( Weapon choice is meh (although my favourite weapon is the cleric mace :))and 9 endurance is just horrible. I have a feeling O+S, the four kings, and Seath could be a hassle simple due to not having enough endurance to get the hits in and roll away. I'd say a Bandit or Pyro playthrough would be easier in many ways but I'll return someday :pac:

Pretty sure I have a lv11 character. Might get a chance to get on later.

Beat them literally 10 minutes ago. Thanks for the offer though, If I get stuck elsewhere ill come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Forgot that spells have stat reqs also, lol :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

felt inspired to draw Dragonslayer Ornsteinn today after doing my second playthrough of dark souls

He easily has the coolest gear in my opinion

wish i had some colouring equipment to properly finish him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,179 ✭✭✭✭noodler

felt inspired to draw Dragonslayer Ornsteinn today after doing my second playthrough of dark souls

He easily has the coolest gear in my opinion

wish i had some colouring equipment to properly finish him :D

Those vocals...Soprano??

noodler wrote: »
    Those vocals...Soprano??

the nameless song , Dark souls :D

• Advertisement

the nameless song , Dark souls :D

Ah, a joke.

I have the soundtrack on regular rotation on my MP3 player.

Ah, a joke.

I have the soundtrack on regular rotation on my MP3 player.

Ha i didnt catch on , lack of sleep trying to set up that youtube account last night lol

soundtrack is amazing , hope to have a church play every single track when i am dead

:D

Ha i didnt catch on , lack of sleep trying to set up that youtube account last night lol

soundtrack is amazing , hope to have a church play every single track when i am dead

:D

Hah, actually think a third are awesome and the rest I could take or leave.

Fireline, Gaping Dragon, S&G,Four Kings, Nito and Kiln or the ones I like.

The rest don't really stand up on their own imo (i.e. when listening to them outside of the game).

Hah, actually think a third are awesome and the rest I could take or leave.

Fireline, Gaping Dragon, S&G,Four Kings, Nito and Kiln or the ones I like.

The rest don't really stand up on their own imo (i.e. when listening to them outside of the game).

lord gwyn one is pretty awesome i feel

four kings is awesome indeed , though that boss fight freaks me the **** out everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Everytime I play Dark it eats up all of my gaming time so after awhile I take an extended break which with 90% of other games would mean I usually don't come back. Then every time I go a month or two without playing I get excited about coming back and starting a new playthrough or doing some invading etc.

No game has ever had that hold over me. God dammit Dark Souls 2 better not mess this up!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I feel like every other game gives me lollipops every time I hold its hand down Rainbow Road, after finishing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Big Knox wrote: »
    Everytime I play Dark it eats up all of my gaming time so after awhile I take an extended break which with 90% of other games would mean I usually don't come back. Then every time I go a month or two without playing I get excited about coming back and starting a new playthrough or doing some invading etc.

No game has ever had that hold over me. God dammit Dark Souls 2 better not mess this up!! :p

Yeah i know the feeling, played the crap out of it on the PS3, took a break from it for BF3, mass effect 3 and skyrim and i've played nothing else since it came out on PC besides a 2 day break for darksiders 2. really love the PVE and the PVP tho flawed is just awesome, running a no buffs dex build at the moment, chaos blade with silver knight spear in reserve. I'm planning a strength build next, never really bothered with one before.

victory_zpsa3ad0d1c.jpg

Lv 2 Cleric run O+S completed. Holy ****.
    Honestly, no lies that was hardest thing I have ever done in a computer game... ever. Nothing comes close to how horribly hard that fight is at a low level. I'd rather fight Shao Khan in Ikaruga as Mario than suffer these two ******s again :pac: I would be lying if I said I didn't see this screen a billion times:

youdied_zps22c497e5.jpg

Never again. But on a positive note: I just beat O+S as a LV2 cleric booyakasha ohhhh yeeeaAAAHHHH biatchs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Very good:) To try and beat those 2 at such a low level would be just too much torture for me:(

Just started a new character myself today. This time I'm going for a super high dex thief. I'll cap him off at about Level 90 so that I can engage in plenty of Jolly Co-operation as a Sunbro:) Already smashed through Taurus Demon and Bell Gargoyles, the Gargoyles with the help of Solaire and some supertough American guy I summoned.

Invaded some dude last night and he dropped me 8 great hero souls, 16 titanite slabs and a bucketload of other stuff.

• Advertisement

Invaded some dude last night and he dropped me 8 great hero souls, 16 titanite slabs and a bucketload of other stuff.

This on the PC? I hear character trainers and duping is a massive issue now!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,935 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

it was always going to be exploited on the PC though. But on the PS3 i got summoned to dark anor londo, and the summoner , after defeating a nice few invaders , dropped 15 titanite,blue and red slabs (45 in total !!) I used a few myself and gave the rest away gradually

Big Knox wrote: »
    This on the PC? I hear character trainers and duping is a massive issue now!

Yeah PC it's not too bad, you get the odd few uber invaders, most who do use trainers use it to build a PVP character quicker. I've done alot of PVP the past month and bumped it only 2 or 3. Supposedly it's quite easy to edit the save on the 360 too, you've seen the stuff rosie does just for the troll vids.

If you look at gamefaqs a lot of people on PS3 will delete the patch create a new character and use the bottomless box glitch and then repatch the game.

If you look at gamefaqs a lot of people on PS3 will delete the patch create a new character and use the bottomless box glitch and then repatch the game.

I didn't even know that was possible!

To be fair the BB glitch actually helped the game progress and the community thrived from it. I wasn't a fan of it personally but I can't deny it did some good in fairness.

When you've completed countless runs and ng's and have made multiple characters I can understand why people just want to bump a character to SL100 or 125 for PvP on a new build.

It was obviously abused far too much by some but that's to be expected!

They put a petition together and got a few thousand sigs to add back in the glitch. agree with it being patched out, i can picture it being handy but alot would abuse it. They go to crazy lengths on gamefaqs, some have multiple PSN accounts mainly for duping(don't ask how) and some just have that many builds.

They put a petition together and got a few thousand sigs to add back in the glitch. agree with it being patched out, i can picture it being handy but alot would abuse it. They go to crazy lengths on gamefaqs, some have multiple PSN accounts mainly for duping(don't ask how) and some just have that many builds.

I wonder if having a character build option after beating NG++ or something would have been cool. Means you have to work to get the ability to create any sl character you want. actually scratch that it sounds ****e just typing it :pac:

I wonder if having a character build option after beating NG++ or something would have been cool. Means you have to work to get the ability to create any sl character you want. actually scratch that it sounds ****e just typing it :pac:

Maybe something along the lines of you could consume Gwynn or Manus's soul in NG onwards and it refunds all your stat points and allows you to redistribute them! Not as easy as having free characters at whatever level you like but not as hard as starting a new character from scratch and having to pick everything up again!

Anyway why are we even talking about this!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Just got Dark Souls yesterday. From what I've read I am scared to start playing this game :eek: But intrigued to see how hard it is :)

Got as far as character creation last night. I usually like to play stealthy enough but for a first time game are there any classes that I should avoid?
    Was thinking about going with the deprived lad in the loincloth so I could see how I play and build him as I find out? Also, will I be in the loincloth for the whole game??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I'm about 12 hours in (over the past 2 weeks, that's as much as I can realistically play) and only yesterday did I discover:

- You can make a running jump! Only discovered this as I watched a 'Let's Play' video on Youtube
    - You can get Humanity without using the consumable Humanity items! Was stuck fighting the Bell Gargoyles for the 20th time and was thinking of giving up the game for good as I couldn't see a way to turn human to summon anyone, but decided to Google 'bell gargoyles no humanity' and found a post somewhere mentioning you could get 'soft' humanity grinding in an area where the boss was still alive - had no idea about the concept of soft humanity OR grinding for it, thought the only way was to find humanity on a corpse!
    - You can summon NPCs! Found this out randomly while reading the Google results above.
    - Your humanity / souls can be retrieved as normal after you die in an invasion! At the very end of my playing time last night, after being killed by those gargoyles about ten times and then grinding for a while, I finally got a single humanity, reversed the hollowing and eagerly went into the church, hoping to summon someone to help me with the gargoyles. Obviously instantly some tool invaded, waited for me at the top of one of the ladders in the church and insta-killed me. I quit in disgust and thought about having to stop playing this frustrating game, but decided to check to see if somehow I could recover my hard-won humanity (I just assumed you couldn't, as I understood the point of invading was to kill another player and take their humanity). Glad to find out that I can retrieve this :) God knows what goes through the minds of those invading a beginning player like myself and slaughtering me as I stand, can't be very satisfying!

I do think the game errs on the side of giving players too little info on actual game mechanics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

sin0city wrote: »
    Just got Dark Souls yesterday. From what I've read I am scared to start playing this game :eek: But intrigued to see how hard it is :)

Got as far as character creation last night. I usually like to play stealthy enough but for a first time game are there any classes that I should avoid?
    Was thinking about going with the deprived lad in the loincloth so I could see how I play and build him as I find out? Also, will I be in the loincloth for the whole game??
    Stealth isn't really a factor in Dark Souls.

If you prefer to dodge attacks to blocking (which is the big choice to make) then keep your Equipment load at 25% or below so you can fast roll. You can still roll up to 50% but it isn't as good for avoiding attacks. Endurance (END) determines your equipment load so boost that and wear light armour.

If you prefer to "tank" it and block attacks choose the Knight to begin with as he has good starting armour but cant really roll. Otherwise the Bandit, Warrior and Pyromancer are good starting classes.

You wont be stuck with the armour you begin the game with so don't worry about the loincloth!

Advertisement