Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Just got a call from microsoft

Options
  • 31-01-2011 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

ok, so i just came home to find my mother in the middle of a conversation with a man on the phone claiming to be from microsoft. He just rang up out of the blue saying that our computer had lots of viruses and had sent them messages to them or something and we did not reply so he rang. He guided my mother through some windows i dont know exactly what, but it had like application anf windows local folders, stuff like that. He then got her to install somethign called Teamviewer which he then connected to our computer through. I got on the phone to him, asked for a number to ring back and promptly hung up as it sounded very fishy. He said he was from microsoft, but when asked what his company name was it was White Troops.

What just happened? Was he ringing up to make it look like we had a virus and then say we could only get rid of them by buying their software or something?

Im quite confused as to what to do now. The laptop is less than 2 months old and is running perfectly. Im running a virus scan with bullguard now.:confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Sound like a scam!! Check this out from Fridays Irish Times. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0128/1224288458489.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

This is a well known scam and has been running for a while now. A bit late from them, but Microsoft sent us an email about it a few days ago

Sent: 28 January 2011 22:14
    Subject: Microsoft Ireland & National Consumer Agency Update

Dear Microsoft Ireland Partner,

I wanted to bring this to your attention as we have received a number of calls from Irish consumers during the past few weeks regarding this scam, which is on-going and active in the Irish marketplace. Microsoft Ireland and the National Consumer Agency are working closely together to ensure Irish consumers are aware of the details. Consumers are receiving telephone calls from persons claiming to be from Microsoft, or working on behalf of Microsoft, to tell them they have a virus on their computer.

Details of the Scam:
    • Consumers receive a cold call from someone claiming to be from Microsoft and told there is a problem with their computer and offered help to solve the computer problems.
    • Once the caller has gained the consumer’s trust, they ask consumers to log onto a website to download a file to help solve the problem.
    • They then ask for credit card details for a package which will fix the virus. They also potentially attempt to steal from the person by accessing personal information on their computer. In addition to gaining access to your personal details, they can also infect your computer with damaging viruses and spyware.

Microsoft takes the privacy and security of our customers and partners personal information very seriously. We are advising customers to treat all unsolicited phone calls with skepticism and not to provide any personal information to anyone over the phone or online. Anyone who receives an unsolicited call from someone claiming to be from Microsoft should hang up. We can assure you Microsoft does not make these kinds of calls.
    We have been working closely with the Irish authorities including An Gardai Siochana, the Data Protection Commissioner, ComReg to warn the public and investigate the perpetrators. As a Microsoft Partner we wanted to bring this to your attention as it’s affecting a good deal of consumers today. We would like to ask you for your help in getting this message out to your employees, your families and your customers and ask them to be vigilant about unsolicited calls.

For more information on this scam and how to protect yourself against this, please click here: http://www.microsoft.com/protect/fraud/phishing/Msname.aspx. Please feel free to report any of these calls to the National Consumer Agency on 1890 432 432 or get further information on www.nca.ie.

Mary Ashe-Winton (Customer and Partner Experience Lead) is working closely with Irish Authorities and Agencies to ensure we are doing everything possible to ensure consumers are aware of this scam. Should you have any questions she would be happy to assist.

Appreciate your assistance as ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Definately a scam. Computer companies don't ring you up to say that "we've been monitoring your computer and you have a virus...." These guys really get my goat! Friends of mine have actually paid those people....GRRRR!!!

Hanging up was definately the right thing to do and uninstall TeamViewer. Teamviewer isn't a virus itself - just allows someone to take control of your computer to fix problems or run programs. I use it myself to sort out problems for my dad while away from home. If those guys actually got access to your computer though, I'd suggest reinstalling your machine, just incase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

haha, the last time that guy rang me i told him i had no computers in the house and he was extremely confused and kept asking if any family members had one or if i had seen one in the house and use it occassionally, when i said no there are none he was extremely polite and apologised for disturbing me! :) they've called back a few times since though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Yeah, reimage the machine as Zapho said. In the meantime, I wouldn't leave the laptop connected to the internet either, in case he got some backdoor stuff on there too. If it's only 2 months old, chances are there might not be much personal info on there, but just in case...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭roguey

if they ring back again claiming to be from Microsoft, im going to say I have all Macs in my house:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

This has been going on awhile now :(

I wonder if they ever happen to ring anyone who IS HAVING PROBLEMS??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Now happening in Clare area.

My mother rang me today complaining she got two calls today.

My instructions were to be annoying and try to order a curry as at least it will make a good story in the pub on the weekend. :D

OR just pretend to go along with the caller!!!

Say OK i did this,now what?? (Keep them tied up for hours :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭NoodleMc

I'd definitely suggest keeping them on the line for a while - waste their time!
    I think I get a call roughly weekly. Last week I asked which of the 6 computers was affected - he said "you have 6 computers". I replied 'Yes' and then the guy hung up on me!!
    Imagine -HE hung up on ME!! The cheek!:eek:
    I am glad that I convinced my Dad that it was a scam as he gets the calls almost weekly too - he keeps them busy now for a while too! :D Good job Dad!

NoodleMc wrote:
    I think I get a call roughly weekly. Last week I asked which of the 6 computers was affected - he said "you have 6 computers". I replied 'Yes' and then the guy hung up on me!!
    Excellent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Oneywu

I got a call from a company called "graybyte" or something claiming they were calling form Dame Street and they were my "Internet Explorer Provider". It sounds stupid if you know a lot about computers but it is easy to see how people get stung.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

So how long did you keep them on the phone for? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I got one of these calls once so said had only linux based machines, the guy stuttered then hung up. Next time they called I said hold on a minute will just turn on my machine, waited a bit then grabbed a fog horn from under the stairs, put it too the phone and pressed, havent had a call back since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Guy claiming to be from microsoft called me a few weeks ago told me my PC had a virus.

I told him I'd a Mac.

He hung up....

...and hasnt called back since.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Microsoft ireland have sent these emails to windows live users as a scam alart:
    Dear Windows Live User,Microsoft Ireland and the National Consumer Agency would like to warn you of a scam that is currently active in the Irish marketplace. Irish consumers are receiving telephone calls from persons claiming to be from Microsoft, or working on behalf of Microsoft, to tell them they have a virus on their computer.

Details of the Scam:

• Consumers are cold called from someone claiming to be from Microsoft and told there is a problem with their computer and offered help to solve the computer problems.

• Once the caller has gained the consumer's trust, they ask consumers to log onto a website to download a file to help solve the problem.

• They then ask for credit card details for a package which will fix the virus. They also potentially attempt to steal from the person by accessing personal information on their computer. In addition to gaining access to your personal details, they can also infect your computer with damaging viruses and spyware.

Microsoft takes the privacy and security of our customers and partners personal information very seriously. We are advising customers to treat all unsolicited phone calls with skepticism and not to provide any personal information to anyone over the phone or online. Anyone who receives an unsolicited call from someone claiming to be from Microsoft should hang up. We can assure you Microsoft does not make these kinds of calls.

We have been working closely with the Irish authorities including An Gardai Siochana, the Data Protection Commissioner, ComReg and the National Consumer Agency to warn the public and investigate the perpetrators. If you have provided details of your credit card to any of these companies, we would advise you to cancel your card immediately through your bank.

For more information on this scam and how to protect yourself against this, please click here:

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/fraud/phishing/Msname.aspxPlease feel free to report any of these calls to the National Consumer Agency on

1890 432 432 or get further information on

www.nca.ie

KoolKid wrote:
    So how long did you keep them on the phone for? :rolleyes:
    Keep them on for hours if ya can!!

Engage them in conversation about the weather,finances,whats on TV,etc :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Dude111 wrote: »
    Keep them on for hours if ya can!!

Engage them in conversation about the weather,finances,whats on TV,etc :)

Or maybe try this

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭jackthelad321

KoolKid wrote: »

That truly was excellent. Fair play to yer man he wound the fcuker up no end

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Can anyone explain to me how these scam firms get access to the credit card systems so that they can accept payment from the victims of the scam?

It seems to me that Visa and Mastercard have a lot to answer for.

These scams could not be operated without access to the cc system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

dub45 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me how these scam firms get access to the credit card systems so that they can accept payment from the victims of the scam?

It seems to me that Visa and Mastercard have a lot to answer for.

These scams could not be operated without access to the cc system.

They sell the details on, .

Someone makes up cards or orders easily fenced items using

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

KoolKid wrote: »

That is just brilliant. Funniest thing I've heard in a long time!

I fielded a few of those calls in my Dads, nice pleasant indian chap who worked for Microsoft Office Systems. I told him there was probably no such company, and he then told me he was calling from Dublin, I being from Dublin

NIC (Nice Indian Chap) Dublin centre
    Me: What street
    NIC: I'm sorry maam, but that is not really relevant
    Me: But it is relevant, cos I don't believe a word you're saying
    NIC: I am telling the truth, your computer has been sending error and virus messages messages to us
    Me: And how do you know that the error and virus messages are coming from the a computer attached to this phone number
    NIC: The IP address lets us know
    Me: How?
    NIC: The IP address gives us your phone number
    Me: Am I being silly when I thought it only gave geographic location?
    NIC: Yes maam, we know from your IP address
    Me: Are you really sure you're not one of those scammer that Microsoft send emails about?
    NIC: No maam, this is not a scam, you're computer is infected
    Me: No it's not, your lying to me now aren't you
    NIC: No maam, it's the very truth
    Me: Ah come on now, you know you're trying to scam me, don't ya, you can admit it

I kept this going for AGES and ages. I had him on the phone for 45mins

Me: Now I think we can agree that I don't believe you. You are referring to a product, not a company, isn't that right
    NIC: But maam, we are a real company in Dublin
    Me: Look, you're not in Dublin are you? You're a silly scammer aren't you? I hope you have enough credit on your phone so you can call you mammy and tell her to be really proud of the fact that her son is a scammer.
    NIC: Sigh... I'm sorry you don't believe me, I wish you a nice day
    Me: You too, and please, get off the criminal road and give you're mammy something to be proud of, she'd be very disappointed in you right now, I know if you were my son I'd be very disappointed!
    NIC: Good day maam
    CLICK

A friend of mine talked to them for a minute, told them she had to change the baby, could the hang on. She left them on the phone for ages, kept telling them she'd be back in a minute. It took them 2 hours before they finally got the message!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Lads my Mam just rang me about this and she FELL for it.

She did not give over any credit card details but did download a file = surely a virus.

I am pretty good an uninstalling virus's (if thats the correct grammer) so should I simly boot up in safe mode when I get home, run Malwarebytes, Combofix and Anti Virus to get rid of it or will the virus be more advanced etc

Anyone have any experience with this type of virus?

She rang me as soon as she got off the phone with them and I told her to shut down and turn off the internet until I got home.

What are the chances of them taking information off the computer and passwords etc?

Cheers in advance.

Im very sorry and i hope the computer is ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Chefburns

Lads my Mam just rang me about this and she FELL for it.

She did not give over any credit card details but did download a file = surely a virus.

I am pretty good an uninstalling virus's (if thats the correct grammer) so should I simly boot up in safe mode when I get home, run Malwarebytes, Combofix and Anti Virus to get rid of it or will the virus be more advanced etc

Anyone have any experience with this type of virus?

She rang me as soon as she got off the phone with them and I told her to shut down and turn off the internet until I got home.

What are the chances of them taking information off the computer and passwords etc?

Cheers in advance.

safe mode and run every scan you have until you find it it may have actually been a program that bugged it so you may want to check in uninstall a program in the control panel once its not connected to the internet there is no way for the information they could potentially rob from you to get to them so if you uninstall anything to do with it and clean it up with every scan you have then you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1 joc95

Those bastards are at it again. someone claiming from microsoft called me 4 times today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Judge Mental

Just got a call from one of them there. Kept him on the phone for 15 minutes completely bluffing my way through it. He asked me "Is this a joke?" or "Are you mad?" on four occasions. Must try harder next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭tech

they called me a about a year ago! on a Saturday

I booted up of a Hirens BOOT cd into Mini windows and to a pc with NO Hardrive on it

I left him logged in for over 2 hours!!!
    I eventually told him it was a BOOT CD and he was very anger with me!! for WASTING his time!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I got the call on Saturday for the first time - was feeling quite left out.

I told him that I too worked for Microsoft, so I could look up his name on the internal address book. He hung up before I had a chance to ask him if his mother knew that he was scamming people for a living.

Advertisement