Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micilín's Mucky Miles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Wednesday

Cycling: 24km to and from work.

Yoga: Did a few stretches for my back - the long cycle took its toll on my lower back.

Rolling: Used The Stick on my thighs and calves.

Thursday

Cycling: 28km to and from work.

Still a bit sore from Tuesday's heavy day of cycling and my first run back.

Went shopping in the evening and got a few supplies - yoga mat, fitness ball, wobble board and pilates band. No excuses now.

Friday

Running: 5.75km at lunchtime. Lovely run along the West Pier in good weather.

Saturday

Yoga: About an hour's worth of stretching and strengthening. Feeling the benefit of it all :)

Sunday

Running: 6.3km at night. I tried breathing nasally to improve my breathing, I lasted about 4km without opening my mouth which wasn't too bad! I could have gone a lot longer but common sense prevailed.

Yoga: A good bit of stretching after the run.

General Outlook
    So that's my first week back running - 18km in total and I don't feel too bad. I've had a lot of time over the past four and half months for doing research on running and fitness and have changed my approach to my running plans.

From Jack Daniels' book I reckon I would benefit more from the 24-week approach, take a month or two off, and then another 24 weeks of training etc.

Having started yoga and reading The Runner's Guide to Yoga (link to Kindle version on Amazon), I want to make yoga a part of my daily life. I'm already doing it about 5 times a week and can feel the benefits.

I have also read a good bit of Chi Running by Danny Dreyer. A workshop would be in order as I find the book a bit hard to follow. As he said himself, it's a reference book so maybe a few reads of it and it will sink in.

Lastly, I'm still not decided on cycling. No doubts about it I loved heading up the mountains after work the past two weeks, but I really need a decent bike and I can't really afford it at the moment. Even if I get a bike, it's an expensive game as there's always something new to buy. Maybe a second job part-time is in order (seriously!).

Anyway, happy days with running :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I had to book my chi running workshop ages in advance, so book one sooner rather than later.

It does make a difference, but unhappy my abandoned it without thinking in latter stages of great Ireland run.

Good work on cycling - got my bike to work scheme road bike the other day - may we should go for a spin one of the days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Good Update.

Regarding the yoga - how long do you spend at it each day and is it different each day??

@Vagga Defo, will be in contact in the next week or two for sure. Something like 30-40km?

@RunningKing Up until last week I was doing yoga for about 15 minutes most days and focusing on the same set of poses, a form of the One-Legged King Pigeon pose followed by Tiger pose (fantastic for IT band and tight hips), Cat/Cow pose (great for stretching the neck and spine after a few hours on the bike), and Downward Dog (hamstring, calf, glutes, back, shoulders). These are mostly stretches with little strengthening (except DD).

I'm not as into the whole meditative side of it as I am with the physical side - in fact I would classify all my home practice as physical. But even then I still feel very relaxed afterwards if I concentrate on deepening and calming my breath while doing the poses. I'll write another post some time on some new poses I'm starting this week.

Monday

Cycling: 24km commuting.
    Yoga: 1 hour focusing on injuries.

Tuesday

Running:
    6km in Bushy Park

Wednesday

Cycling: 24km commuting
    Hiking: 3km of hiking. Rather than racing given I'm only back running, I volunteered to be a marshal for the first race in the IMRA Summer League in Bray. My job involved hiking up to the cross at Bray Head in the rain and directing runners. It was great to be a part of it and to see the top half of the field in full flight. Spotted and cheered lots of Boardsies - Enduro, Belcarra, SloggerJogger, nerraw, Thisregard and someone in a Boards top.
    Unfortunately the climb up to the cross (which involved some rock climbing) must have been tough on my calf-achilles-plantar fascia as I felt the old familiar pain return in the heel of my foot :mad:

Thursday
    Cycling: 15km commuting. My bike died - again. The chain snapped this time. I'm getting closer to that brand new shiny bike :)
    Running: 6km around the trails of Bushy Park. Lovely evening and felt good.
    Yoga: 1 hour, including loads of work on hamstring, calf and foot.

Friday
    More pains today. A sore right hamstring - my supposedly 'good' leg. Plantar Fasciitis at me again. Won't run tomorrow, maybe Sunday. Talk about frustration :mad:

• Advertisement

Probably just my legs getting used to running again ...

I woke up Saturday feeling grand again so went out for another 6km around the usual bog road in Spiddal. A little bit hilly but no problems during or after. Did some yoga stretches straight afterwards. Went for an 8km walk today up the same road, followed by more stretching, feeling a good bit stronger now.

In other health matters I switched to drinking cider instead of wheat-based stouts and beers last night just as an experiment. Stomach felt great compared to when drinking the black stuff. Will stick to this for a while :)

Sunday
    Yoga: About 30 minutes. Lower back getting stronger now.

Monday
    Running: 6km at lunchtime

Tuesday
    Cycling: 24km commuting. Borrowing a spare bike for the time being. It weighs a ton!

Wednesday
    Cycling: 37km commuting and to IMRA Scalp race. Found some lovely quiet roads!

Running: 6km at lunchtime.

Hiking: Did a few miles of fast hiking/running doing marshalling at the IMRA Scalp race. Great views from Carrickgollogan.

Thursday
    Cycling: 28km commuting

Friday

Running: 6.5km at lunchtime. Knowing I would be working late into the evening, I took 90 minutes for lunch so I could get some yoga stretches in immediately after the run. Despite having a bad back all morning, and a run that felt crap, 15 minutes of yoga totally transformed me for the afternoon :D

Saturday
    Drinking

Sunday
    More drinking

Monday
    Running: 8km around Bushy Park. First run longer than 6km in a long time.

Tuesday
    Cycling: 25km commuting

Yoga: 20 minutes

Wednesday
    Cycling: 27km commuting and to IMRA race.

Hiking/Running: More volunteering at IMRA Tibradden. Took the camera up to the top of Tibradden and enjoyed the scenery. 2.3km uphill fast hiking, 2.3km downhill running :pac:I've never seen so much blood at a running race, at least 20 people fell and cut themselves. This was the trail I used to hate on my long runs over the Dublin mountains - turns out it wasn't just me who found it tricky!

Yoga: 15 minutes when I came home. Plantar Fasciitis the next morning was much better as a result.

Thursday

Friday
    Running: 8.34km at lunchtime.
    Yoga: 10 minutes of stretches straight after the run.

Saturday
    A day of rest :)

Sunday
    Mountain Biking: 1 hour around the trails of Ticknock and Three Rock. I had an opportunity to take my brother's MTB out on the trails with him - it's not what I expected it to be like, in a way. A lot of it is about balance and following a good line. Most of the soreness the following day was in the back and core muscles. Good fun but I'm not sure if it's my sport!

Monday
    Running: 8km around Bushy Park
    Yoga: About 20 minutes. Also used The Stick on my plantar fasciitis - it does help a bit.

Running is going grand, just a bit unfit. Work was a bit mental last week so I only ran 3 days in 8. I have signed up to do the Roundstone Bay 8km this Saturday with a friend. I don't expect to run much faster than 5:15min/km :eek:

Sunday
    Mountain Biking: 1 hour around the trails of Ticknock and Three Rock. I had an opportunity to take my brother's MTB out on the trails with him - it's not what I expected it to be like, in a way. A lot of it is about balance and following a good line. Most of the soreness the following day was in the back and core muscles. Good fun but I'm not sure if it's my sport!

I lied :( I feckin' love it. I may have a decent MTB before the week is out. Spent 2 hours in Ballinastoe tonight - great fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I lied :( I feckin' love it. I may have a decent MTB before the week is out. Spent 2 hours in Ballinastoe tonight - great fun!

You just didn't understand it!
    If you are ever down South take a few hours up in Ballyhoura - Much, much better than Ticknock and Ballinastoe.

• Advertisement

Tuesday

Mountain Biking:
    14km @ Ballinastoe. So I'm now hooked on mountain biking. Ticknock was fun on Sunday but Ballinastoe is like one big fairground, can't imagine what Ballyhoura is like! Miles and miles of trails!

My bro was testing out a bike he had his eye on and made a decision to buy it and to sell me his very decent old one through the bike shop so I can avail of the bike to work scheme. I'll have it to keep from Monday :)

It makes sense for me to go for a MTB rather than a road bike because MTBing packs a lot more into a shorter period of time than road biking. I've got lots going on in my spare time at the moment - between running, yoga, playing music, travelling to Galway every second weekend and a few large freelance projects coming up, so MTBing fits the bill more than road biking. I'd rather 2 hours on trails than 4+ hours on the roads with traffic. Plus I live very close to Ticknock and will be moving for good to Galway next year with loads of trails nearby. Here's to a new obsession!

Wednesday

Running:
    8km at lunchtime. All but the first kilometre were run with my mouth closed concentrating on nasal breathing four steps to every breath. It was tough (mainly because of
    mucus building
    ) but the pacing was insanely accurate - only four seconds between the slowest and fastest kilometres!

Yoga: 90 minutes. 10 minutes straight after my lunchtime run and the rest in the evening. I tried a new asana (sequence of moves) last night - my shoulders and triceps are a bit sore today, but that's good!
    Thursday

Cycling: 28km commuting. I have a commuting competitor now - he travels the same convoluted route as me for 9km but breaks all the lights :rolleyes: It gives me great pleasure in catching up with him and passing him again ;)

Running:
    8km in Bushy Park. A nice run, finished off with a decently fast last km (5:00min/km :o)

Was it the beard? Was it the 5 months' pain? No, it was the cross-training!

8km in 36:36

I'm still trying to work out this equation: 5-month injury layoff + 5 weeks of slow low-mileage training up to 8km = 20 seconds or so slower than a PB. WTF?!

I honestly went into this race thinking that sub-40 would be a very decent result given my recent woes. In fact, it was my friend who gave me that target, not having any idea how fast or slow I was. We had a go at a few strides at 40-min race pace beforehand and I didn't find it too bad.

I lined up about 4 rows back so when the gun went I naturally followed the same pace as the people around me, which of course was way too fast. I slowed down a bit, but not too much because of the embarrassment at having gone out too fast :o I reached the first km in 4:08, the second km in 4:15. The third km felt pretty bad as I got passed by a good few people, but only slowed to 4:29. The wheels very nearly came off in the hilly fourth km - I was within seconds of puking and walking the rest of the way, a real mental battle to not quit - 4:55 was the split. The fifth km wasn't much better either - 4:51.

I don't know how I picked up the pace again, but I suppose I got encouragement from not being passed by many people, and from having reached the water station turnaround. Getting closer to the village of Roundstone again I just kept plugging away and keeping a straight line through the corners. The sixth and seventh kms in 4:45 and 4:46 were decent enough and I knew I was going to go way under 40 minutes.

The final km towards the end I knew I could give it my all. I reeled in one runner who had passed me earlier and then just went all out to the line - last km in 4:31, top pace of 3:39. Seeing the clock at 36:xx I got such a shock and had a big smile when the race director called out my name. Past the finish line I went straight over to vomit on the ground between two cars - what a sense of satisfaction knowing I could push myself this hard again :D:D:D

Great race organisation - good support from locals and stewards, loads of tea, coffee and biscuits in the community hall. Meanwhile, I'm recovering as if I had run a marathon!

Garmin Link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Great to see you back in the game MM. No greater satisfaction than finishing a race knowing you've left nothing out there on the course.

What a great come back!
    You even got the full vomit in.....delighted for you, seriously good performance.

Cheers - back in the game is right!

I bucked the trend for Jack Daniels' V-Dot. I'm still at the same V-Dot of 48 as October, whereas 72 days+ of a layoff plus cross-training and five weeks of running should have had me at 42/43. Happy days :D

Sunday

Walking: A 7km walk to get the blood flowing through the legs.

Monday

Yoga: 1 hour. Still very stiff from Saturday.

Tuesday

Yoga: 30 mins at 6am :)
    Running: 6km at lunchtime followed by some stretches. Felt less stiff afterwards.
    Mountain Biking: 32km in total (only about 6km on trails). A lot of uphill trails and technical sections. It's a very good VO2 Max workout, put it that way!

Brought the new bike home with me. Had a very numb right foot on the cycle home, possibly because of the placing of the SPD cleat in my shoe. Must also get padded shorts :(

I just thought I'd put my goal for 2013 out there - a 10k in sub-40. The goal race is the 10k Chonamara in October.

I will of course be doing other races:
    Followed by about 4-6 weeks of a scheduled break from running. It seems to do me good ;)

I just thought I'd put my goal for 2013 out there - a 10k in sub-40. The goal race is the 10k Chonamara in October.

I will of course be doing other races:
    Followed by about 4-6 weeks of a scheduled break from running. It seems to do me good ;)

What? No Marathon followed by an Ultra? Lightweight............. :P

What? No Marathon followed by an Ultra? Lightweight............. :P

Nah, I don't fancy running another marathon until I'm in sub-3 shape, whether it takes me a year or more, I don't mind. TBH I'd love to be a spectator at this year's DCM, giving back to the running community and all that!

I do plan to train on relatively high mileage though, so I'm sure I'll be back in the Phoeno for some more long runs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Great comeback, sensible plan for the year Im thinking too :)

• Advertisement

Cheers - back in the game is right!

I bucked the trend for Jack Daniels' V-Dot. I'm still at the same V-Dot of 48 as October, whereas 72 days+ of a layoff plus cross-training and five weeks of running should have had me at 42/43. Happy days :D

I must have miscalculated - my V-Dot is actually around 44 based on Saturday's race. My goal may need to be revisited, or not :pac:

Wednesday
    Running: 8km with some strides. Hamstrings both very weak!
    Yoga: 30 minutes

Thursday
    Yoga: 90 minutes

Friday

Saturday
    Running: 8km in Bushy Park. Great weather - Bushy Park was packed.

Sunday
    Mountain Biking: 30km exactly. I cycled from my house up to the masts at Three Rock and did all the official mountain bike trails twice. 726m of climbing and about 15km on trails and forest roads. I only put my foot on the ground once in 2hr16mins :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

You've got a great variety going on in your training.

I was planning on cycling to Ticknock on Friday but was worried my crappy "mountain" bike wouldn't cope with the uphill Kellystown road so I locked it up in Marley instead and walked up. :pac:

Can you recommend a brand / amount to be spending on a decent mountain bike? Those trails around Three Rock look like great fun.

statss wrote: »
    You've got a great variety going on in your training.

I was planning on cycling to Ticknock on Friday but was worried my crappy "mountain" bike wouldn't cope with the uphill Kellystown road so I locked it up in Marley instead and walked up. :pac:

Can you recommend a brand / amount to be spending on a decent mountain bike? Those trails around Three Rock look like great fun.

I wouldn't take my crappy mountain bike up those kind of gradients unless I was pretty confident of the drivetrain not buckling! That said, it managed to hold up on the climb up to the Sally Gap from the Luggala side. My good mountain bike has 30 gears and I could really feel the difference. I didn't get out of my saddle once when climbing.

I'm not the best expert on mountain bikes yet, but from what I've gathered so far, a beginner would be best off on a hardtail (which means front suspension only, no rear or frame suspension). 29-inch wheels are becoming more popular, but beginners would be best off on smaller wheels. Also, front suspension should be lockable so that no energy is lost when climbing. Has your current bike got a suspension?

A good brand would be Giant, can't really go wrong with them. Maybe keep an eye out for second-hand mountain bikes but make sure it hasn't had any major damage to it. Spend up to €500 for a very decent second-hand bike because you'll always have to replace parts - they take a good beating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

I wouldn't take my crappy mountain bike up those kind of gradients unless I was pretty confident of the drivetrain not buckling! That said, it managed to hold up on the climb up to the Sally Gap from the Luggala side. My good mountain bike has 30 gears and I could really feel the difference. I didn't get out of my saddle once when climbing.

I'm not the best expert on mountain bikes yet, but from what I've gathered so far, a beginner would be best off on a hardtail (which means front suspension only, no rear or frame suspension). 29-inch wheels are becoming more popular, but beginners would be best off on smaller wheels. Also, front suspension should be lockable so that no energy is lost when climbing. Has your current bike got a suspension?

A good brand would be Giant, can't really go wrong with them. Maybe keep an eye out for second-hand mountain bikes but make sure it hasn't had any major damage to it. Spend up to €500 for a very decent second-hand bike because you'll always have to replace parts - they take a good beating!

thanks for the detailed info. I don't think my bike has suspension, it's literally just a €250-€300 basic thing I picked up for work commuting but I've been using it more over the last 3 weeks as I've a little injury stopping me running....would be nice to get a good one and do it properly, especially as those trails are close by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

statss wrote: »
    thanks for the detailed info. I don't think my bike has suspension, it's literally just a €250-€300 basic thing I picked up for work commuting but I've been using it more over the last 3 weeks as I've a little injury stopping me running....would be nice to get a good one and do it properly, especially as those trails are close by.

Give it a go on the basic bike you have now. The trails aren't too rocky. The lower trail in particular isn't too demanding and flows quite nicely. The upper trail is a bit rocky though.

Monday

Cycling: 15km commuting. Picked up my old MTB/Hybrid commuter from the bike shop - new wheels feel great.

Tuesday

Cycling: 54km commuting, on the proper mountain biking. Came home via Carrickgollogan, did the trails there about 3 times each, and then on to Kiltiernan, Glencullen and Three Rock, doing the trails there once each. So much fun!

Wednesday

Cycling: 12km commuting.

Now on two weeks' holidays :D:D:D

It had been 4 days since I last ran, so I had the 'perfect' taper for this race. Despite a 4-hour spin on the mountain bike yesterday, I woke up with zero soreness or tiredness. I had a feeling I was going to run well!

I lined up with 4 rows behind me and started off trying to keep a hold on my pace. I slowly passed people all the way up to the first proper trail. I felt the burn in the calves on the steep trails as it had been a long time since I had run gradients like this.

Reaching the first relief from steep climbing/power walking I felt the need to lengthen my stride to strech the legs and recover the calves. I made ground on a few people before the next stretch of steep trail.

Coming towards the end I could tell that my core work was paying off as my form seemed to be very efficient. Still, it couldn't hold off the kamikaze runners bombing it down the steep rocky trail before the last bit of forest road - runners I had easily passed earlier who seemed to be in the throes of fell running pain, mad yokes! They must have gained a full minute on me in the space of 1km.

I finished in under 57 minutes, 7 minutes faster than last year :) I nearly wretched, but it didn't happen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

7 mins improvement off the back of just returned to running is a great success!
    You doing Scarr next week?

• Advertisement

Super running. Nice to get 7 min improvement, any idea how you got this as you were flying last year?

Nice to see the retching , all the cool people are doing it! :)

Advertisement