Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N22 - Tralee Bypass (under construction)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

I think the roundabout needs to be removed at the N21/N22 junction as part of the scheme with some sort of freeflow system implemented(plenty of open land to do it too!)

+1 N17 knock is an example of off grade junction on a non DC

Roundabout are great for low traffic volumes, but cause backups when there is any significant amout of traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

A T-Junction will suffice there as it wont be the N22 after the Tralee bypass is completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Furet wrote: »
    ...which would look like this:

Whats Phase 5 for?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

Whats Phase 5 for?

Probably to serve the large industrial estate in Clash.
    However, unfortunately, this is now mostly vacant buildings...

Furet, there are a couple of problems with this proposed scheme...

1. N21-N86 link
    the issue here is that a significant amount of the traffic passing through tralee is destined for Castlegregory and Dingle via the N86.
    If you know the area, then you'll appreciate that getting from the N21 (eastern entrance to town) through to the N86 (south-western exit) can be very time consuming.

I would have thought that this link would have had much higher priority, however, it would also be more expensive as it would need to bypass the village of blennerville (approx 1km west of tralee) and negotiate a tidal delta (which interestingly is zoned as a recreation amenity http://www.traleetc.ie/news/title,4395,en.html).

2. R551 Railway Bridge
    The R551 (ardfert/ballyheigue) road contains an extremely narrow and dangerous railway bridge approx 500m from the junction of the Bracker Regan road and the R558 Fenit road. This bridge is an accident blackspot with a number of fatalities recorded in or about that location.

Personally, I would like to see the Phase 4 link swing round to join the Phase 3 link, passing north of the railway bridge.

Just fyi Phase 2 (a+b) are there to serve the Institute of technology and Kerry Technology Park (which in itself is responsible for a significant volume of traffic).

:)

Furet wrote: »
    ...which would look like this:

ringroads.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭North Cork

Went past entrance for archaeology works today just before Manor West, signs up on the road warning of works

Also found this on the web

http://archaeojobs.blogspot.com/2010/08/cd-asap-ireland-site-assistants-at.html

Headland Archaeology (Ireland) Ltd requires Site Assistants for the Tralee Bypass (Stage 2).
    Work will commence on 30th August for a 2 -3 week period.
    The rate is €346 per week rising to €370 after 2 weeks once level of experience has been ascertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Well, on a great day for Kerry, roads-wise with today's Castleisland bypass opening, it has also been announced that construction of the Tralee bypass will definitely start next year per Radiokerry.ie news report. It's fantastic that since the start of the major cutbacks of public spending since 2008, Kerry has still managed to secure funding and go ahead for two major infrastructural projects since then (C'island just completed and now Tralee). Maybe our local TDs are doing something right!! :D

Tralee Ring Road to start construction early next year

A start date for the construction of the Tralee Ring Road has been brought forward to early next year. Minister for Defense, Tony Killeen made the announcement today at the official opening of the Castleisland Bypass.

The Tralee Ring Road Project involves four routes; the Tralee Western Relief Road from the Fenit Road to Blennerville Bridge; the Tralee Bypass to Forge Cross on the Listowel Road; and from there onto the Abbeydorney Road, and then to the Bracker O'Regan Road. Minister Killeen says these roads are important so Kerry is ready when the ecomomy improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hoof Hearted

Is the Tralee ring road and the N22 Eastern bypass separate projects?

I thought the Tralee ring road referred to what's not covered by the N22 Eastern bypass.

Yeah they are totally different schemes. I cant find the link to this:
    ongarboy wrote:
    Tralee Ring Road to start construction early next year

A start date for the construction of the Tralee Ring Road has been brought forward to early next year. Minister for Defense, Tony Killeen made the announcement today at the official opening of the Castleisland Bypass.

The Tralee Ring Road Project involves four routes; the Tralee Western Relief Road from the Fenit Road to Blennerville Bridge; the Tralee Bypass to Forge Cross on the Listowel Road; and from there onto the Abbeydorney Road, and then to the Bracker O'Regan Road. Minister Killeen says these roads are important so Kerry is ready when the ecomomy improves.

Whats the Minister for Defense doing opening roads?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Whats the Minister for Defense doing opening roads?

The Tralee bypass will actually be a military road and critical part of our defense network and allow for faster access to West Kerry in the event of a Kerry uprising similar to the Munster Republic of 1922. ;)

Either that or Gombeen politics at work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

tech2 wrote: »
    Yeah they are totally different schemes. I cant find the link to this:

Supporting link here.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭North Cork

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/healy-rae-demands-hospital-and-bypass-for-supporting-budget-480421.html

JackieHealyRaeBILLYHIGGINS.jpg
    04/11/2010 - 12:56:28
    Independent TD Jackie Healy Rae said today that there are a number of things he wants from the Government in order to secure his support for the Budget.

The Government will announce its spending plans for the next four years this afternoon ahead of next month's Budget for 2011.

The Kerry South TD has told Radio Kerry however that he wants a guarantee that a new hospital in Kenmare will go ahead, among other demands.

"There are several things that I expect them to do for me, and that’s including the Tralee Bypass," he said.

we love you jackie bring on BAM :D:D:D:D:D:D

North Cork wrote: »
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/healy-rae-demands-hospital-and-bypass-for-supporting-budget-480421.html
    JackieHealyRaeBILLYHIGGINS.jpg
    04/11/2010 - 12:56:28
    Independent TD Jackie Healy Rae said today that there are a number of things he wants from the Government in order to secure his support for the Budget.

The Government will announce its spending plans for the next four years this afternoon ahead of next month's Budget for 2011.

The Kerry South TD has told Radio Kerry however that he wants a guarantee that a new hospital in Kenmare will go ahead, among other demands.

"There are several things that I expect them to do for me, and that’s including the Tralee Bypass," he said.

we love you jackie bring on BAM Healy Rae Plant hire :D:D:D:D:D:D

FYP! ;)

Ah Irish Politics :D

"I'll vote for the tough budget that'll aim to save the country if you do something for my local parish pump"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Ironically, Jackie is a TD for Kerry South constituency so it's intriguing that he has listed a Kerry North development like Tralee bypass in his list of demands. While Castleisland bypass was also a Kerry North development, it significantly benefitted Kerry South constituents as it was their main access gateway to Limerick/Dublin so I could see his motivation for that demand. I'm not so sure about why the Tralee bypass is so important for Jackie or people living in South Kerry as he can get no votes from North Kerry

I generally try and support developments that benefit the common good of the country over parochial vote chasing type developments but as someone who originally comes from Tralee and vists there on a monthly basis, anything that can fast track this bypass will be applauded by me!

ongarboy wrote: »
    Ironically, Jackie is a TD for Kerry South constituency so it's intriguing that he has listed a Kerry North development like Tralee bypass in his list of demands. While Castleisland bypass was also a Kerry North development, it significantly benefitted Kerry South constituents as it was their main access gateway to Limerick/Dublin so I could see his motivation for that demand. I'm not so sure about why the Tralee bypass is so important for Jackie or people living in South Kerry as he can get no votes from North Kerry

I generally try and support developments that benefit the common good of the country over parochial vote chasing type developments but as someone who originally comes from Tralee and vists there on a monthly basis, anything that can fast track this bypass will be applauded by me!

The Tralee bypass is squarely in North Kerry, however CastleIsland is now a part of the Killarney electoral division for the County Council and is thus represented by Jackie Healy Rae's other son Danny.

Michael Healy Rae is a councillor in the Killorglin electoral division and represents his home town Kilgarvan, before the boundary change Kilgarvan was a part of the Killarney electoral district and in the previous election (2004) Danny Healy Rae only barely got elected to hold Jackie's council seat and the local vote in Kilgarvan held him there.

With Kilgarvan gone Danny's camp had to get new votes elsewhere and tapped into virgin territory in Castleisland and focused hugely there with the bypass as the main promise. As a result Danny Healy Rae topped the Killarney poll in 2009 and another project they have "promised" is a new bridge on the N72 at Barradubh village.

The Healy Rae's are playing local tiny politics to the detriment of the entire country. They are not interested in deficits or NAMA all they care about is getting roads done, why you may ask? Well because themselves are some of the main contractors on these projects and thus are only out to line their own pockets albeit in a legitimate way; although it is still morally wrong if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

I can't see why this road has such priority. Even in relation to Tralee, building Adare to Abbeyfeale would do a hell of alot more for Tralee and indeed Kerry in general than this will.

Adro947 wrote: »
    I can't see why this road has such priority. Even in relation to Tralee, building Adare to Abbeyfeale would do a hell of alot more for Tralee and indeed Kerry in general than this will.

Agree fully with this. Why the NRA have prioritized the Tralee bypass over the Adare-Abbeyfeale scheme is mind-bogling! Every town along the N21 through county Limerick adds at least 10 mins each to the journey which is not good enough IMO. :mad:

30 Nov 2010

Work on Tralee Bypass not to start till mid 2011

The tender process for the Tralee bypass has been suspended temporarily. Kerry County Council says the archeological survey has revealed some issues that need further examination and it has decided to suspend the tender process until this is complete.

The tenders should reopen in January and expect to be completed in February. The council estimates that it will be mid 2011 by the time a contractor is in place and work can get underway. Last week the Department of Transport confirmed that the project would go ahead next year despite cutbacks contained in the Governments 4 year plan

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

The pause in the tendering process is not anticipated to significantly impact on the expected construction commencement date.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Kerry County Council says the archeological survey has revealed some issues

The Tralee bypass, a.k.a. GCOB mk 2 - someone will read this, find evidence of a settlement or something and the project will get shelved because of the uproar over the M3 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14 atomohawk

If they scaled it back from a dual carraigeway to an ordinary road like the 'bracker reagan' road it might have a better chance of getting funding.No need then for flyovers etc.

The funding is already in place.
    Construction is due to commence mid-2011.
    Up on eTenders at the moment, is the tender for arch. investigation of a specific site.
    btw, dual carriageway is needed.
    atomohawk wrote: »
    If they scaled it back from a dual carraigeway to an ordinary road like the 'bracker reagan' road it might have a better chance of getting funding.No need then for flyovers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

atomohawk wrote: »
    it is a dual carriageway and I do believe it is needed. But as far as I know all junctions on it will be roundabouts - hope i am wrong on this

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

maybe you thing now that there is no need for flyovers, but then you have F'ing roundabouts. If they cannot afford flyover in the current econ. climiate then lay it out for flyovers and stick in a roundabout until it can be done correctly.

If you like roundabouts try driving from oranmore in galway to cappagh road. sixteen roundabourts in approx 17Km. Enough to drive anyone around the bend

Tralee does not need a host of flyovers and GSJs. The need for dual carriageway is speculative at best.

There will be one compact GSJ on the scheme and 5 roundabouts on the mainline in total. The need for 2+2 is evident on the AADT running on the N21 from the N22/N21 junction to Tralee. Also it wont be far off capacity by design year 2026.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 atomohawk

'Also it wont be far off capacity by design year 2026.'
    Whats happening in 2026? Are we getting the olympics?

looks to me like present traffic approaching tralee from killarney side will be split in 3. {left for dingle, straight for town and right for listowel etc.} Cant see need for dual carraigeway. Bit busy for hour in morning and evening but very quiet otherwise (apart from boy racers of course)

• Advertisement

The preliminary design report is actually a very intestering read if anyone of you have not seen it already. It gives some great detail into the construction of the overbridges and the underpasses and gives reasons why it should not go over the road.

For instance on one page it refers to the Ballyseedy road that it would be ideal if the road went under the N22 Tralee Access road instead due to:
    • Several watercourses in the immediate vicinity which would lead to drainage issues
    • Liebherr Cranes use the N22 Tralee-Killarney road meaning a higher headroom
    • The existing stone arch bridge on the local rd is identied as a cultural heritage site
    • Use of overbridges on single carriageways is not encouraged
    • Embankments would require quite a large amount of matieral due to the headroom

I'm amazed at the amount of detail listed on the report which refers to the junctions on the bypass itself. There will be 5 roundabouts with one compact grade seperated junction. In this case it will be a Left in only juntion at Clash to prevent queues on the mainline running up to the roundabout at peak times.

Two local roads will cross over the bypass: L2020 and L6510

The other threee structures will be underpasses or underbridges which cross over the River Lee, Tralee-Mallow railway line and L6547.

Another little point I find is on type 2 dual carriageways is that if a road approaching it is under 1,000 AADT then a junction is not required. The resulting low AADT road would go under or over the mainline. Usually for the local road over 1,000 AADT it would be a T junction on 2+2 or Left in-Left out used.

Would anyone have a detailed map of the Left-In only junction on the bypass? It would be just a slip road before approaching the roundabout junction for Clash. Oh and the preliminary report is here

Advertisement